New babies

April86

Oct 13, 2021
Parrots
Mickey - Green cheek conure
Minnie - pineapple green cheek conure
Hi all, We bought our Green cheek (male) and pineapple green cheek (female) about 3 years ago now and this is the first year they have had babies. They've laid eggs before but wanted nothing to do with them. This year they laid about 6 eggs (first one about 24th August)and we have 5 beautiful babies(first baby born 17 September). We have left them in the nest with mum and dad and have left them to raise them. We now have 3 starting to gets feathers and tails, 1 is a little smaller and just started getting some feathers and the last one that looks like it was born only recently.
Since we have never had baby birds before we don't know a lot.
I'm wondering when they will start coming out of their nest or when we can start interacting with them? Mum and dad are both very protective of them and don't like it when anyone is in their cage or nest box.

Any advice would be good.

Attachments

• 20211014_115516.jpg
    20211014_115516.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 93

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Hi all, We bought our Green cheek (male) and pineapple green cheek (female) about 3 years ago now and this is the first year they have had babies. They've laid eggs before but wanted nothing to do with them. This year they laid about 6 eggs (first one about 24th August)and we have 5 beautiful babies(first baby born 17 September). We have left them in the nest with mum and dad and have left them to raise them. We now have 3 starting to gets feathers and tails, 1 is a little smaller and just started getting some feathers and the last one that looks like it was born only recently.
Since we have never had baby birds before we don't know a lot.
I'm wondering when they will start coming out of their nest or when we can start interacting with them? Mum and dad are both very protective of them and don't like it when anyone is in their cage or nest box.

Any advice would be good.
Congratulations, they are sooooo cute.

I was told that hand tamed or hand raised baby bird are hand held gently as early as on the 20th days of their lives. I heard that the owner distract their parents before smuggling out the babies. As in the attached photo this is Emerald being weighted every day. The goal was to monitor that her weight increased everyday. (If not, then baby formula kaytee/ Exact can be fed to help)

While they are with you, in a neutral zone, THAT their parents can't see...........keep warm, no windy spot, place in a small basket for leaning against, give them head scratch and talk to them.

Your flock is diffinitely big enough to be handle. My Emerald was handle by professionals at a much younger days as the photo shows. Close monitoring is important at this stage. Smallest one can be given extra feeding. Checking that each individual is able to stand and walk a short distance of 10-15cm. If not, vet visit will be needed, feet problems need immediate attention. My avian also suggested hand feeding, kaytee/Exact, in Syringe. Just to make it easy to give medicine, should the need arises.

Let them get used to you touching their WINGS and feet too. For the purpose of harness training in the future. Simple commands such as step up, good boy, potty training can also commence while you are at it. Fresh fruits that you will be feeding them, can also be introduced at this time. Not to feed them, just have them lying around for familiarity to smell and looks purposes before weaning time.

Also let them perch on your fingers, if they stand firm, let them learn to flap their wings as you slowly move your hands up and down. Making sure that each of them are in good health. The muscles for all parts develop at this stage so we want them to practice all movements. This includes daily exercises such as wing flapping and stair climbing practices.
So, I was told.

Keep us posted, this is so exciting 😄

Attachments

• 1634442571920.jpg
    1634442571920.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 81

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Suggested hand feeding, is for good Probiotics on a regular basis, say once a month. Or once a day if traveling or sneezing in winter. My vet recommended this after Emerald's weaning. It came in very useful when we need to give her medication.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Also forgot to mention that the process of smuggling them back is equally difficult.
And though daily contact is important, each session must not be very long. May need warmth from bulb if it is cold overthere.

OP
April86

April86

Oct 13, 2021
Parrots
Thank you. We have had them out of their nest the last 2 days. Mum and dad was a little nippy at first but have since calmed down and have allowed us to handle them more. Babies are walking/running around well. Youngest 2 are still finding their strength but are doing well.
We have added an egg and biscuit mixture to Mum and dads diet. The bird store up the road recommended it and told me I was better off leaving Mum and dad to feed the babies. I'm not sure how I feel about that as I feel feeding 5 babies is a lot for them.
I've found these 2 products (pic attached) at the local pet store but not sure which one is better for them. Someone did recommend passwell brand but I can't find it in stock.

These were the babies out yesterday playing while mum and dad watched on.

Attachments

• 20211016_140001.jpg
    20211016_140001.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 20211016_142709.jpg
    20211016_142709.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 85

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Wow Wow Wow
Definitely adorable, wouldn't you make stars out of them by putting their video on YouTube?

I am familiar with these 2 brands, in the pictures but I am a strong believer in Probiotics. My vet said it helps in the digestion in sick birds as well as stress birds too. And vetafarm contains it.

One of Emerald's favorite food is boiled egg, so I think young mum and dad might want some? It's easy to prepare and very nutritious.

You might find this information interesting, it gives detailed explanation of how to hand feed the babies......

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Oops

Typo mistakes....I am not familiar with these 2 brands, but I am sure it is a fine supplement to mum's and dad's feeding.

Emerald had Exact from Kaytee. It probably is delicious since she took her weaning very slowly.

OP
April86

April86

Oct 13, 2021
Parrots
Thank you soo much for all the info I really appreciate it. I went to the pet store this morning and got the vetafarm brand. Fed babies this morning with mum and dad watching on while they were eating also. Took them a little bit to get used to it but once they realised it was food they fed well. All seem happy running around afterwards. Older 3 are all perching well and we did the wing exercise also. Little 2 ain't quite at that stage yet (one is slowly getting feathers other not yet).

Attachments

• 20211018_101354.jpg
    20211018_101354.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 84

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
What a joyful team of footballer you got there. It's extraordinary to have the best of both worlds, the bird's parents and you.

When Emerald was young, she was fed by touching her beak on the side with a syringe. She was so eager. Now, from beak down the throat, there is a path to the windpipe and another path to the crop, not very far apart. Since the separation is very very tiny, my avian vet recommended feeding sideways and also mentioned to never feed any juice by Syringe. This is to prevent a back flow event if the baby didn't swallow in rhythm with the flow.

Another interesting read about full crop and swallowing rhythm......

Have you name them yet?

OP
April86

April86

Oct 13, 2021
Parrots
Been feeding syringe to the side. Mickey and Minnie have been doing a great job and are soo much more relaxed with myself and the rest of the family handling their babies. Babies we haven't named as yet. I'm unsure on how to tell if male or female. My twins have a heap of princess names picked out 😂

OP
April86

April86

Oct 13, 2021
Parrots
That's what I thought

Most Reactions

Latest posts