New Bird Mum advice needed pretty please

Kiwiā€™s mum

Jul 2, 2022
Derbyshire
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Hi all. Hope youā€™re well!!??
Totally new to the bird world and forums too - so, I was wondering if you could give me some expert advice please?.
I have 13-14week old IRN named Kiwi (no guessing why I called Kiwi this šŸ™„ aside from the fact itā€™s a universal name)
Before buying into this new commitment after sadly having to put my 12.5yr old dog down a
month or so ago, I researched the birds I was interested in and would be best suited to the family and our routines and this one ticked all the boxes. I have some basic knowledge on bird keeping as friends and family have had them.
Kiwi is in the corner of the living-room against a wall, has water, feed, toys and enough wing space for now. I do not intend on keeping Kiwi in the cage FT as I want the bird to fly freely around the home and be apart of the family. Just not while cooking or when airing the house with doors and windows wide open.
After that possible irrelevant information, what Iā€™m looking for are the absolute DONTS and MUST DO. Iā€™m in this for the long haul and do not want to stress Kiwi out any more than S/he is. Bought the bird and the bits today and has been in our company for the best part of 12 hours. So far, the springing all over the place and looking for an escape has settled a touch, whenKiwi backs away I stop and encourage others to also do so. For now, weā€™re focusing on just myself (consensus from the family) to be the one to gain the trust first so I can relate to what freaks the bird out and what doesnā€™t. Iā€™ve had my hand in the cage 3 times today - yes there was panic from Kiwi but while the flapping was going on I remained still with subtle movements when calmer. A toy was not secured properly and fell to the floor, the perch wasnā€™t fastened on to the right level (pet shop didnā€™t do this properly) so the space needed to stretch wasnā€™t there. Now is! and the other reason was to add a new mirror which kiwi often looks in when s/he thinks weā€™re not looking. Gets a complex when spotted šŸ˜‚
Should I remove the feed given to me as a start up during the day and give fresh fruit, greenery and the like to snack on and give the grains and bits in the evening? Loving the fact Kiwi has the same diet as me - minus the sunflower seeds etc šŸ˜‚ I donā€™t mind sharing my food!!
When would it be appropriate to introduce bathing? Iā€™m not convinced this bird has ever seen water to get into! Feathers look not so happy. Kiwi was in a cage with 8 other IRNs almost the same size as the one I have now and to be honest the condition was questionable.
I have registered with an avian vet to get checked over once Kiwi has settled and isnā€™t so skittish.
Cuttlefish?? Yay or nay? If Kiwi doesnā€™t take to itā€¦ what else can I try?
And, upon reading conflicting dos and donts onlineā€¦ I do need to know if soapy water ina bath for him/her is the done thing? If so what? They said baby shampoo or our kind of shower gel is alright - this I find VERY questionable!! Am I wrong?
Sorry for the LONG post. Hope youā€™re still awake!!
Iā€™ve covered the cage for the night with an old bed sheet with enough water for the night.
I know Iā€™m missing loads out - question wise but these are the ones Id really like/need to know - now.
Iā€™ll add pictures when my face alone doesnā€™t scare Kiwi and I can introduce a gadget.
thank you for the patience in which youā€™ve had to get this far. I look forward to reading any replies. X

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I agree just plain water.

Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on bringing Kiwi home!

I don't know how much interaction you had with kiwi while they were still at the pet shop, but if they're actually panicking when you put your hand in the cage I personally would hold off on doing that for now and just let them settle in for a few days. Get used to the new environment and being in the cage alone, and you just feeding and water for now.

Do you have a vet appointment scheduled already or still waiting to hear when your appointment is?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi all. Hope youā€™re well!!??
Totally new to the bird world and forums too - so, I was wondering if you could give me some expert advice please?.
I have 13-14week old IRN named Kiwi (no guessing why I called Kiwi this šŸ™„ aside from the fact itā€™s a universal name)
Before buying into this new commitment after sadly having to put my 12.5yr old dog down a
month or so ago, I researched the birds I was interested in and would be best suited to the family and our routines and this one ticked all the boxes. I have some basic knowledge on bird keeping as friends and family have had them.
Kiwi is in the corner of the living-room against a wall, has water, feed, toys and enough wing space for now. I do not intend on keeping Kiwi in the cage FT as I want the bird to fly freely around the home and be apart of the family. Just not while cooking or when airing the house with doors and windows wide open.
After that possible irrelevant information, what Iā€™m looking for are the absolute DONTS and MUST DO. Iā€™m in this for the long haul and do not want to stress Kiwi out any more than S/he is. Bought the bird and the bits today and has been in our company for the best part of 12 hours. So far, the springing all over the place and looking for an escape has settled a touch, whenKiwi backs away I stop and encourage others to also do so. For now, weā€™re focusing on just myself (consensus from the family) to be the one to gain the trust first so I can relate to what freaks the bird out and what doesnā€™t. Iā€™ve had my hand in the cage 3 times today - yes there was panic from Kiwi but while the flapping was going on I remained still with subtle movements when calmer. A toy was not secured properly and fell to the floor, the perch wasnā€™t fastened on to the right level (pet shop didnā€™t do this properly) so the space needed to stretch wasnā€™t there. Now is! and the other reason was to add a new mirror which kiwi often looks in when s/he thinks weā€™re not looking. Gets a complex when spotted šŸ˜‚

Should I remove the feed given to me as a start up during the day and give fresh fruit, greenery and the like to snack on and give the grains and bits in the evening? Loving the fact Kiwi has the same diet as me - minus the sunflower seeds etc šŸ˜‚ I donā€™t mind sharing my food!!
What food was given?

You can remove the food food give her some greens, but after an hour or so put the original food back.
When would it be appropriate to introduce bathing? Iā€™m not convinced this bird has ever seen water to get into! Feathers look not so happy. Kiwi was in a cage with 8 other IRNs almost the same size as the one I have now and to be honest the condition was questionable.
You can gently spray her with a mister and see if she likes it
I have registered with an avian vet to get checked over once Kiwi has settled and isnā€™t so skittish.
I reccomend cuttlefish... birds really like them and it's healthy for them.
And, upon reading conflicting dos and donts onlineā€¦ I do need to know if soapy water ina bath for him/her is the done thing? If so what? They said baby shampoo or our kind of shower gel is alright - this I find VERY questionable!! Am I wrong?
Sorry for the LONG post. Hope youā€™re still awake!!
No soap. Never use soap for her. Unless she got rescued from a terrible situation with the bird covered in dirty materials, don't use it.
Iā€™ve covered the cage for the night with an old bed sheet with enough water for the night.
I know Iā€™m missing loads out - question wise but these are the ones Id really like/need to know - now.
Iā€™ll add pictures when my face alone doesnā€™t scare Kiwi and I can introduce a gadget.
thank you for the patience in which youā€™ve had to get this far. I look forward to reading any replies. X

OP
K

Kiwiā€™s mum

Jul 2, 2022
Derbyshire
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
I agree just plain water.

Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on bringing Kiwi home!

I don't know how much interaction you had with kiwi while they were still at the pet shop, but if they're actually panicking when you put your hand in the cage I personally would hold off on doing that for now and just let them settle in for a few days. Get used to the new environment and being in the cage alone, and you just feeding and water for now.

Do you have a vet appointment scheduled already or still waiting to hear when your appointment is?
Thank you for your response. Concurred to my original thoughts.
I didnā€™t get to have much interaction with the birds as they were all stressing when we walked in. Iā€™ll hold off for now as suggested and I have enlisted online with the vets and am waiting for a call to complete registration. I will book in with them as and when they need me to. ā˜ŗļø Appreciate all of your input. Have taken it all on board. Xx

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to you and Kiwi!

I agree with everyone above and just had a few things I wanted to add.

This is a wonderful thread about building trust:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

One of the most important don't is not to use any cookware or appliances that have any Teflon.
Everyone I know uses ceramic or stainless steel cookware.

Also air fresheners and anything like that are also a no no. Their air sacs are nothing like our lungs and it is dangerous.

I'm sorry if you already knew all this, but thought I'd mention it just in case:)

I'm looking forward to reading about your journey with Kiwi, and watching your relationship grow:)

OP
K

Kiwiā€™s mum

Jul 2, 2022
Derbyshire
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Welcome to you and Kiwi!

I agree with everyone above and just had a few things I wanted to add.

This is a wonderful thread about building trust:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

One of the most important don't is not to use any cookware or appliances that have any Teflon.
Everyone I know uses ceramic or stainless steel cookware.

Also air fresheners and anything like that are also a no no. Their air sacs are nothing like our lungs and it is dangerous.

I'm sorry if you already knew all this, but thought I'd mention it just in case:)

I'm looking forward to reading about your journey with Kiwi, and watching your relationship grow:)
Awww ā˜ŗļø thank you. I really DO appreciate all advice. Even if already known - I may have misplaced my memory as I do my keys from time to time so a reminder like this is ALWAYS very welcome. So thank you. Iā€™d read about air fresheners etc but I donā€™t think I fully retained that information. As yet, I havenā€™t used an air freshener but a plug in in another room in the house that only goes on for a couple of hours once the kids are in bed.
While kiwi is getting used to us and isnā€™t yet allowed out of the contraption we call the temporary bedroom, that is ok isnā€™t it? S/he isnā€™t in direct contact. If thatā€™s not ok. Iā€™ll get rid immediately.
šŸ’‹ thank you once again xx

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I do have a bird who feather plucks. I've learned that birds in general have sensitive skin. If you actually feel it it's very thin like our elderly people have. Their feathers will come a long ways by just misting water a few times a day. It will brighten up those feathers in no time. I would never add soap, or any kind of irritant as you don't want to go down the path of creating a bird to become itchy. Birds can be hibitual, and once they start feather plucking it is close to impossible to get them to stop. I myself have tried pluck no more, and aloe in Nico's water bottle. I don't know if it makes him think he's sticky, or makes his feathers feel different. It caused him to pluck at himself more for some odd reason. I just use water now to mist him, or I bring him in the shower with me as he has a shower perch installed. He loves the steam from a hot shower.

OP
K

Kiwiā€™s mum

Jul 2, 2022
Derbyshire
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
I do have a bird who feather plucks. I've learned that birds in general have sensitive skin. If you actually feel it it's very thin like our elderly people have. Their feathers will come a long ways by just misting water a few times a day. It will brighten up those feathers in no time. I would never add soap, or any kind of irritant as you don't want to go down the path of creating a bird to become itchy. Birds can be hibitual, and once they start feather plucking it is close to impossible to get them to stop. I myself have tried pluck no more, and aloe in Nico's water bottle. I don't know if it makes him think he's sticky, or makes his feathers feel different. It caused him to pluck at himself more for some odd reason. I just use water now to mist him, or I bring him in the shower with me as he has a shower perch installed. He loves the steam from a hot shower.
I did think it was bizarre that a bird was ok to use soap as you need to lather or really scrub to remove it. I was also under the impression that it ruins feathers and would mean that theyā€™d struggle to fly if at all. So I appreciate your input.
I canā€™t wait till Kiwi can get in the shower or have a bath with my youngest (if s/he wanted to of course)
Pluck no moreā€¦ Iā€™ll look into that, just incase kiwi starts. ā¤ļø Handy to know. Xxx

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I can advise that birds donā€™t generally like to share a bath with you, and will decorate the water in any case.

Ah, the things my first Quaker toleratedā€¦

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
My girls don't have any interest in cuttlefish so I stick with crushed egg shells in the chop. I think too that they would get some "grinding roughage" thru seed eating. I know they don't eat the seed shell but they must ingest some of it when opening them.
As with bathing. sometimes flicking your fingers in the water sort of encourages them. They see you enjoying it so want to try for themselves.
Re eating the same food. I have issues with Missy wanting to eat everything I eat to the point I have to physically remove her from the area so I can eat in piece. If I don't, she will do a snatch and run, with anything on my plate.

Niteldy

Oct 26, 2021
Media
Albums
Utah
Parrots
1 Alexandrine & 5 cockatiels
Welcome to the Forum!!!! I didnt see anyone mention this so I will- Never pet/stroke your IRN on its body!! ONLY the head and neck!! To do otherwise is really bad for your bird!! It is initiating "breeding behavior" and the poor bird cannot get a release and suffers from it! I know you havent reached this part of your journey with your new baby BUT its something you need to remember and teach others in your home to only scratch/stroke/pet the head and neck.
Again Welcome!, and cant wait to see pics!

Most Reactions

Latest posts