new bird owner

moss

Nov 20, 2021
Parrots
cinnamon green-cheek conure
so I recently got a cinnamon green cheek and he is the sweetest thing ever and happens to be really vocal. however, I have noticed that lately when he is sleeping on my shoulder he sometimes makes a small wheezing sound. I'm not sure if this is normal or if he's talking to himself in his sleep, and I do know that birds are really good at masking their illnesses. he's going to get a checkup in December for wing+nail clipping so should I ask them for medication if this really is a respiratory infection? (his beak is okay, it isn't inflamed, his poops are good and are the right color, and his cloaca is clean, and he doesn't try to eat his feathers or tear at them)

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Take a bird to the vet the moment you notice anything unusual. I wouldn't wait until December, either. Get a vet visit as soon as you can.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your cinnamon green cheek! Quite correct questioning whether the noise is artifact of infection or innocent vocalization. A skilled avian vet can listen to breathing and determine potential illness, assisted by lab tests such as blood panel, throat or fecal culture. Once an offending organism is detected, appropriate antibiotic prescribed for best effect. Some vets may take generalized view and offer broad spectrum meds and follow up with testing if needed.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
A very warm welcome to you and your new little GCC! Don't forget to tell us your little one's name btw, will you?

I too would advocate a visit to the vet as I generally do for any new flock member. Wellness checks early on with a certified avian vet (not a dog and cat vet) will help to establish a baseline of health and can help to nip any nasties in the bud before they get a chance to take hold and become more serious. As you have mentioned, birds are VERY good as masking signs of illness, sometimes they are a little too good at it, so a check by a qualified professional is important early on if you have any health concerns at all. Annual health checks are also important and for much the same reasons. Understanding that there may be limitations on availability in your part of the world, the link below may help you to find an avian vet if you are not already acquainted with one...

Wishing all the very best for a clean bill of health for your newest flock member! 🙏

Most Reactions

Latest posts