New Caique Owner- Need Advice

PeentPeent

Feb 13, 2024
Media
Parrots
Cockatiels, Mexican Conure
Hello! I am an experienced bird owner, I have 3 tiels, and a mexican conure. I wanted a caique friend for my conure, as he always tries to be friends with the tiels but they ignore him. So I found a WB Caique, they are young, 12 weeks, the person who handraised them said they are super cuddly and playful. I named them Beeper!

The first night with Beeper was not a good start for the lil guy, he was in a cardboard box for 2 hours, and when we got him we transfered him to a more open carrier with clear walls. When we got home a few hours later, we opened it to let him go out himself. he didnt leave for 30 minutes but when he did, he went into the kitchen and found a hole near my dishwasher that I am pretty sure was from a mice problem I used to have. Not wanting to have him get sick or be in the walls, i had to pull him from his back and yoink him down cause he almost escaped. I felt so so bad for scarring him more, he bit me but not very hard I was ready for him to eat my finger! But if he went into that wall I have no idea how I could get him out or if hed get really sick if he ate anything mice left in there. We let him calm down in his new cage after that with lots of foods and treats and let him rest.

I can tell they have interest in toys, but they are TERRIFIED of hands, the owner after I purchased the birdie contacted me the next day to see how they are, I mentioned how timid they were, and they advised me to just pick them up and pet them against my chest, as cute as that sounds I can tell Beeper would absolutely freak out if i tried that. It has only been a few days so me and my boyfriend have just been talking and singing sweetly to beeper while hes in his cage (big standing cage lots of toys and such)

I will also leave the top door open of the cage so he can look at me while I work and talk to him. He faces his back against me a bit less. The only time out of the cage is if he goes out on his own, we have a clean safe floor and he chose this one spot so we put some food and water there and toys for him there. He spent hours in that spot eating playing carefully ect. but the only way back into his cage is if he would climb this one jungle gym toy we can pick up and put him back in his cage with.

I want to be extra careful not to lose any trust and make sure we mostly gain trust. I love how playful and fun caciques are and dont want to stunt his growth by him being too scared. Currently we really just let him make decisions and try to formulate how to get him back into his cage after. I can tell hes slowly warming up, (still will scream if he sees a hand) Any caique owners with good advice?

Currently the level of comfort they have is having the door open to see me, theyll preen themselves , eat, and sleep in the cage near me, and play carefully with toys. They sometimes call when i leave the room but not sure if its really for me

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Turns out I had non stick baking sheets. And the baby is gone. I will hate myself till I die
I'm so sorry this happened to you. As bird owners I know that we often try our best to minimize toxins in our birds' environments but the world is stacked against us... so many random things to look out for. For this to happen to you so suddenly after the excitement of welcoming a new flock member is honestly just so traumatic, it's hard to even find words to say.

Try to be kind to yourself today...you and Beeper are in my thoughts.

Snailbeak

Feb 23, 2024
Parrots
Caiques
Turns out I had non stick baking sheets. And the baby is gone. I will hate myself till I die
Did the owner call again to check on it? How sad! I lost my precious baby caique from a silicone oven liner 2 yrs ago. I still cry. I got another caique but he is not as sweet. Has a different personality. Hard to bond with. I'm sorry. I keep thinking someday I will meet my sweet angel again. I'm sure people think I'm nuts but he was a snuggle bug! This new one is NOT! But I still give him great care.

OP
PeentPeent

PeentPeent

Feb 13, 2024
Media
Parrots
Cockatiels, Mexican Conure
Did the owner call again to check on it? How sad! I lost my precious baby caique from a silicone oven liner 2 yrs ago. I still cry. I got another caique but he is not as sweet. Has a different personality. Hard to bond with. I'm sorry. I keep thinking someday I will meet my sweet angel again. I'm sure people think I'm nuts but he was a snuggle bug! This new one is NOT! But I still give him great care.
They checked on me a lot they are very kind :( I cant get over my gone babies I took keep daydreaming of seeing them again. Always think of them. After the death of my first conure we got another and he bonded to my boyfriend and not me. Miss my snuggle bug too, definitely hurts to not have them so close.

Most Reactions

Latest posts