New Conure owner needs help!!!

Misty1133

Mar 25, 2022
Parrots
“Mango” Pineapple Conure
So we’ve had our Pineapple Conure for 2 weeks now. I know, patience is key. Some days he seems like he’s getting more comfortable & then others he screams all day & hides in the back of his cage when we go anywhere close. Basically I’d just like some advice on what works best to get him comfortable & used to me. I know it takes time, I just want to be sure I’m not doing something wrong!!! 💚🦜

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
No you're not doing anything wrong. The key thing to note is that progress is not linear. There are going to be days where your conure will seem like he's comfy with you and others where he just wants to hide away, like what you're experiencing now. As long as you're going at the birds pace and carefully taking body language in consideration, you're perfectly fine.

OP
Misty1133

Misty1133

Mar 25, 2022
Parrots
“Mango” Pineapple Conure
No you're not doing anything wrong. The key thing to note is that progress is not linear. There are going to be days where your conure will seem like he's comfy with you and others where he just wants to hide away, like what you're experiencing now. As long as you're going at the birds pace and carefully taking body language in consideration, you're perfectly fine.
Thank you for your response. I greatly appreciate it. One question I do have is, sometimes when I’m talking to him, he’ll kinda hunker down low and put his wings out a bit. Is that fear or excitement??? I’m definitely going at his pace (turtle slow. Lol) but I guess being a never owned a bird before bird owner I’m worried I’m doing something wrong. Also, whoever had him before me clipped his wings and the left is soooo much shorter than the right. I’ll never do so myself, but I wonder if it’s causing him any pain or stress issues.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Thank you for your response. I greatly appreciate it. One question I do have is, sometimes when I’m talking to him, he’ll kinda hunker down low and put his wings out a bit. Is that fear or excitement??? I’m definitely going at his pace (turtle slow. Lol) but I guess being a never owned a bird before bird owner I’m worried I’m doing something wrong. Also, whoever had him before me clipped his wings and the left is soooo much shorter than the right. I’ll never do so myself, but I wonder if it’s causing him any pain or stress issues.
For me and what I'm picturing by your description, it seems he's low and hanging out his wings because he kind of wants to fly off somewhere else. That's just what I'm assuming. Whether in the cage or out, it seems he is doing it out of fear rather than being excited for something. I know it's tough but try to keep a distance and see if that works. Maybe you already are keeping your distance, then in that case just make sure you have your voice low and just go about your business while he settles in more. And for the wings. It may not hurt him so he is probably not even paying any attention to his wings. However because his wings are not evenly clipped, he may have balancing issues, just something I'm putting out there in case it comes up. But for now, just continue what you are doing.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello and welcome Misty! Congratulations on your new GCC.

Just starting out new to parrots with a new friend is one of the most difficult and challenging times in your story with parrots. I myself find it challenging offering help via posts and not being able to see and help in person. Even though this is one if the most common topics and I've probably replied to them hundreds of times. I know we have sticky threads found at the tops of forums ( have to look which one) that offer advice on bonding. This forum top threads

On crouched with wings slightly spread, wouldn't you know it, in gcc( others as well) it can mean a few different things. It can be a plea for attention, please pick me up/ pet me, in babies it can also be feed me. Or it can be defensive warning, stay way or I will bite you, or I want to fly but I'm scared to try.

If you click this link it will take you to the page on my thread that have 2 great article links on reading behavior and the second article covers a few basics on bites and other behavior issues. Well worth reading.
Post in thread 'Ornithology: Share and discuss scientific articles on parrots!' https://www.parrotforums.com/thread...entific-articles-on-parrots.82369/post-987448

I will also link my article on stress in parrots as its also helpful, and talks about routine and rituals ect.
To quote some members, why not pull up chair next to your parrot and read some of it out loud to them

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts