New & excited to be a part of a community!

Citadel

New member
Joined
Jul 1, 2026
Messages
6
Reaction score
16
Location
Oklahoma, USA
Parrots
2x Green Cheeks
Vera (Yellow-sided)
Aloe (SF Violet Cinnamon Turquoise)
Hello, it's nice to meet everyone! 🦜💗 I'm a bird lover in my 20s with a huge interest in aviculture and avian genetics. I currently have two green-cheeked conures named Vera (who is roughly 3-5yo) and Aloe (4mo), - whom I'll attach photos of below for the bird tax, - and they are my whole world!

Some of my goals are to start volunteering at local rescues to gain experience with different species and perhaps in the future, find an ethical + reputable breeder to apprentice under. My favorite parrot species is the Hahn's macaw, but I also really like conures in general. Thank you for the warm welcome and for approving my membership, I'm so excited to get to know everyone and make friends!


image_2026-07-01_221834206.webp
image_2026-07-01_221930165.webp
592008323_4340726046252897_80579189657010957_n.webp
 
Hello, it's nice to meet everyone! 🦜💗 I'm a bird lover in my 20s with a huge interest in aviculture and avian genetics. I currently have two green-cheeked conures named Vera (who is roughly 3-5yo) and Aloe (4mo), - whom I'll attach photos of below for the bird tax, - and they are my whole world!

Some of my goals are to start volunteering at local rescues to gain experience with different species and perhaps in the future, find an ethical + reputable breeder to apprentice under. My favorite parrot species is the Hahn's macaw, but I also really like conures in general. Thank you for the warm welcome and for approving my membership, I'm so excited to get to know everyone and make friends!


View attachment 85239View attachment 85241View attachment 85242
Welcome to the forums, @Citadel, Aloe and Vera, we're so happy to have all of you aboard! Have you by chance noticed the theme for our July 2026 Photo Of The Month Contest!!💖? You've got some very good contenders for the "World Championship Cuteness" event right there :love:
 
Welcome to the forums, @Citadel, Aloe and Vera, we're so happy to have all of you aboard! Have you by chance noticed the theme for our July 2026 Photo Of The Month Contest!!💖? You've got some very good contenders for the "World Championship Cuteness" event right there :love:
Thank you so much, I just checked out the contest thread and it looks like a lot of fun! I'll definitely look into entering my little guys ☺️🫶
 
You have beautiful conures.

Do you train with them? My jenday was simple to train. Her trainability was superior. My sun conure on the other hand… he just wants to snuggle into someone’s neck. He doesn’t enjoy training as much. He requires very short sessions if I can get him to engage at all.

Volunteering is great. It’s very rewarding. My problem was my one parrot turned into 4 after I volunteered. The more you take on the less time you have. After adopting my macaw I rarely have time to go out for long periods. Vacations are limited. I don’t mind the trade off myself. I don’t see friends or family as often because I’m fairly busy. On my spare time I try to help others with their parrots as I know the challenges that come with them.
 
You have beautiful conures.

Do you train with them? My jenday was simple to train. Her trainability was superior. My sun conure on the other hand… he just wants to snuggle into someone’s neck. He doesn’t enjoy training as much. He requires very short sessions if I can get him to engage at all.

Volunteering is great. It’s very rewarding. My problem was my one parrot turned into 4 after I volunteered. The more you take on the less time you have. After adopting my macaw I rarely have time to go out for long periods. Vacations are limited. I don’t mind the trade off myself. I don’t see friends or family as often because I’m fairly busy. On my spare time I try to help others with their parrots as I know the challenges that come with them.
Thank you! They are the sweetest, spunkiest little guys and my first birds. They are both step-up & recall trained, - Vera recalls pretty well but just naturally has a stubborn personality & is very food motivated, and Aloe's still a baby so it's an ongoing process. Target training is something that I've been educating myself on for a while and would like to start soon. ☺️

That's my biggest worry with volunteering, I'm constantly showing my partner urgent rehomes I see online in my area or talking about adopting/fostering more. 😭 But I know it's something that would give me a lot of fulfillment in life and I love the idea of contributing to something that I'm passionate about. I never traveled much either so it hasn't really been an issue for me, but the bit about bird ownership eating up your time is very true!
 
Welcome. Enjoy yourself here. I often thought about working at rescue centers. Things stopped me. One and the hardest work around was my job hours. The second was I don't have much resistance. Birds are an addiction. Everyone of them cute and in need of love and a home.
 
Welcome. Enjoy yourself here. I often thought about working at rescue centers. Things stopped me. One and the hardest work around was my job hours. The second was I don't have much resistance. Birds are an addiction. Everyone of them cute and in need of love and a home.
Thanks! I'm sorry to hear that you haven't gotten the chance, I totally get what you mean though! Being around a bunch of cute birds for that many hours is going to make it hard not to come home with a couple 🤭
 
  • Like
Reactions: AMD
Hello, hello, from Canada! Your babies are super cute, and I love their names, LOL!! You'll learn a lot here. I've been here for 3-4 years, and I'm still finding new stuff to digest.
 
Back
Top Bottom