New Goffin Cockatoo Owner -- Seeking Some Advice

PurpleParrott

Aug 9, 2023
Parrots
Molly/Millie/Milo - Goffin Cockatoo
Carl - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
***This picture I have of her is not flattering at all. Her feathers are rough but this picture does make it look worse. She's afraid of being misted as well. She is also not on her own cage. She likes to sit ontop of them and does not want to move.

Introduction
So Miss Millie came home about a week ago. I was not given much information on her besides she is 8 months and the previous owner said that's what the owner before him had said so I will assume she is probably older. I wasn't formally told her name but it was mentioned in the ad which was deleted promptly. So I know it started with an M at least lol. She is full flighted and very cautious about most things. My biggest issue that is holding up any sort of progress with bonding is that she does not like stepping up from the cage top.(although she seems to know how just fine). This makes for a lot of difficulty and is limiting how much time I can give her out of the cage because it takes a long while for her to go in on her own if I'm leaving or going to be not able to supervise her. She is not very keen on me right now. This is most definately from me hassling her to step up. It's just difficult because I need to make sure shes safe. I can't possibly leave the house with her on top of the cage yet there is very little I can do to get her back in. She very much does not want to be in the cage if she doesn't have to be and I am fine with that---as long as I can teach her to go back in when it's that time. She also is very afraid of perches being offered.

What Treats should I Try to Offer
I haven't been able to figure out a treat she is crazy about. Most foods she will take 2-3 pieces of then start flinging them back at me LOL. I keep wanting to try a treat test but I have been drawing a blank when it comes to what I should try to offer. She is not impressed by much thus far.

Managing Hormonal Behavior
She will try to get me to pet her head and neck by petting herself and trying to show me to pet her. I've only been petting her head and this has been infrequent. She has no tents/boxes/dark spots in her cage. I've been covering her cage which is in a room that isn't used at night except for the drink fridge so minimal interuption and darkness for about 12 hours. I will make an effort to give her less fats and sugars based on what I've read about managing diet to ease hormonal behavior right now. I could use some advice on what a diet lacking these looks like. I've been offering her Mazuri pellets mixed with Zupreem fruitblend and some TOPS as well as some fresh fruits and veggies, then almond slivers and black oil seeds/sunflower seeds by hand to work on trust and hopefully training eventually.

Toys, Chewing, and Boredom Busters
She REALLY enjoyed this dinky petsmart wooden toy I put in with her the first night. It's like she really needed to chew. So I cut her up some bigger pieces of clean untreated wood with my milter saw and she has been shredding it right up. I'm hoping to do some dollar store runs and make her some toy skewers up that have some extra things that are different safe materials instead of just wood.

Conclusion
If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear what I can be doing to tackle Boredom, Trust-issues, Training, Nutrtion, Hormonal Management, and just generally navigating cockatoo behavior correctly as possible.

Attachments

• PXL_20230804_184253353.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230804_184253353.MP.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 24

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
She looks sweet!:love:

Sounds like she arrived in the best forever home ever!
Both of you are so lucky.

For a cheap chew toy I cut up scraps of 1x pine.
Maybe 3.5 x 3.5-ish
I'll drill a whole in the middle of each and string them up.
I will also cut up cardboard at the same size and sandwich a bunch of layers between the pine.

20230809_085956.jpg

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Congrats on your new baby! Have you decided on a name for her?

It sounds like you are off to a great start by doing your research and taking things slow. What all have you tried for treats? I wonder if she would like some fruit or something fresh as a "go back in cage" treat?

OP
PurpleParrott

PurpleParrott

Aug 9, 2023
Parrots
She looks sweet!:love:

Sounds like she arrived in the best forever home ever!
Both of you are so lucky.

For a cheap chew toy I cut up scraps of 1x pine.
Maybe 3.5 x 3.5-ish
I'll drill a whole in the middle of each and string them up.
I will also cut up cardboard at the same size and sandwich a bunch of layers between the pine.

View attachment 53386
Cardboard is a good idea! I have 2" boards right now but she has no trouble ripping them up. I tried to make wedges and different shapes since I have milter saw. She seems to spend a good chunk of time chewing so it must be something she really needs right now! And thank you! I want to give her the best chance possible to be happy and fulfilled.

OP
PurpleParrott

PurpleParrott

Aug 9, 2023
Parrots
Congrats on your new baby! Have you decided on a name for her?

It sounds like you are off to a great start by doing your research and taking things slow. What all have you tried for treats? I wonder if she would like some fruit or something fresh as a "go back in cage" treat?
I'm torn between Millie, Milo, and Molly for her name. Thus far she has not tried to talk at all so I'll be curious if she's holding out on telling me herself. I'm pretty sure goffins can talk at least. I have been trying different foods. I've noticed she is more interested in crunchy dry foods than fruits and veggies. She seems to eat though later on when I'm not watching lol. I know she'll take a black oil seeds or sunflower seeds but she honestly wants about 4-5 of them then begin to throw them once she takes them 😂.

keikoasmom

Jul 6, 2013
***This picture I have of her is not flattering at all. Her feathers are rough but this picture does make it look worse. She's afraid of being misted as well. She is also not on her own cage. She likes to sit ontop of them and does not want to move.

Introduction
So Miss Millie came home about a week ago. I was not given much information on her besides she is 8 months and the previous owner said that's what the owner before him had said so I will assume she is probably older. I wasn't formally told her name but it was mentioned in the ad which was deleted promptly. So I know it started with an M at least lol. She is full flighted and very cautious about most things. My biggest issue that is holding up any sort of progress with bonding is that she does not like stepping up from the cage top.(although she seems to know how just fine). This makes for a lot of difficulty and is limiting how much time I can give her out of the cage because it takes a long while for her to go in on her own if I'm leaving or going to be not able to supervise her. She is not very keen on me right now. This is most definately from me hassling her to step up. It's just difficult because I need to make sure shes safe. I can't possibly leave the house with her on top of the cage yet there is very little I can do to get her back in. She very much does not want to be in the cage if she doesn't have to be and I am fine with that---as long as I can teach her to go back in when it's that time. She also is very afraid of perches being offered.

What Treats should I Try to Offer
I haven't been able to figure out a treat she is crazy about. Most foods she will take 2-3 pieces of then start flinging them back at me LOL. I keep wanting to try a treat test but I have been drawing a blank when it comes to what I should try to offer. She is not impressed by much thus far.

Managing Hormonal Behavior
She will try to get me to pet her head and neck by petting herself and trying to show me to pet her. I've only been petting her head and this has been infrequent. She has no tents/boxes/dark spots in her cage. I've been covering her cage which is in a room that isn't used at night except for the drink fridge so minimal interuption and darkness for about 12 hours. I will make an effort to give her less fats and sugars based on what I've read about managing diet to ease hormonal behavior right now. I could use some advice on what a diet lacking these looks like. I've been offering her Mazuri pellets mixed with Zupreem fruitblend and some TOPS as well as some fresh fruits and veggies, then almond slivers and black oil seeds/sunflower seeds by hand to work on trust and hopefully training eventually.

Toys, Chewing, and Boredom Busters
She REALLY enjoyed this dinky petsmart wooden toy I put in with her the first night. It's like she really needed to chew. So I cut her up some bigger pieces of clean untreated wood with my milter saw and she has been shredding it right up. I'm hoping to do some dollar store runs and make her some toy skewers up that have some extra things that are different safe materials instead of just wood.

Conclusion
If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear what I can be doing to tackle Boredom, Trust-issues, Training, Nutrtion, Hormonal Management, and just generally navigating cockatoo behavior correctly as possible.

Most Reactions

Latest posts