New. Hello!

PyroParrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 30, 2021
Parrots
Sunny: Sun conure, hatch 2/2021
HI everyone!
I'm just so happy to have found this forum- I desperately need the information! I will be honest and admit that I got our Sun Conure somewhat on impulse. We were getting some fish supplies at the pet store and there she was. She (I’m just assuming gender here) was so curious and seemed desperate for attention. We inquired about her and were told she wasn’t ready to go yet, they were monitoring her weight, thought it would be another 5-7 days yet. So we put our name down as first in line. Then went home, got a cage, supplies and waited. Stupidly I did not do the deep dive research, but…. Well, here I am now. Anyway she came home with us 3 months ago! I am totally in love with this goofball and want to provide the best possible care for her mental and physical health.
She is 11 months now, going thru her molt, and a bit….. chompy with it, but normally She is usually incredibly friendly- she will even sleep on her back on my chest, shoulder- as well as the same with my husband.
One story; yesterday day evening she was perched on my knee and started down the other side to my foot. I lifted my foot and she went to my toes and started playing with my sock. It really tickled and out of reflex i dipped my toes with a “Eeek!” . She immediately did it again and got the exact response. So she stood for a minute just looking at my toes, then gave them a little poke with her beak. It occurred to me she was testing for a response, so i dipped the toes, gave a Eeek! She did it about 5 more times!!!! Then she traveled to my other foot to give that a try as well. This morning, she had to go give the toes another test, same response and she seemed quite satisfied. just amazes me how smart she is.
anyhow- i will be pouring thru the site to hoover up all the information I can find!!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Welcome to the forums :)
I know you impulse-bought your bird and while I agree it was wrong, don't worry! You appear to be doing fine and I know you will learn a lot just from being here! :)

OP
PyroParrot

PyroParrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 30, 2021
Parrots
I should have mentioned that I’m not totally unfamiliar with birds, dont want anyone to worry overmuch for my conure! LOL! Have had budgies, cockatiels and we had a good size outdoor canary aviary for years. At its largest we had about 30 canaries, yellow and red factor. While they were just a hobby, we were diligent about their heath and we never had a problem with illness in our flock. Good food, good hygiene. Our adult son is also a licensed falconer and had a Red Tailed hawk that he trained when he lived with us while finishing school. amazing to watch it go from wild to free flying in the yard. Always came back! But thats another story entirely…..It’s this little conure I’m not so familiar with!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome aboard, you turned potentially precarious situation into success story! Many of us had rocky beginnings with parrots; love, dedication, patience and diligence saved the relationship!

OP
PyroParrot

PyroParrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 30, 2021
Parrots
Thanks to all. What a gem of a resource this site is! i have been obsessing on all things parrot now. Sure that is a familiar state for so many on this site 😆
Taking the first plunge into making chop this weekend. Will update on how that goes

OP
PyroParrot

PyroParrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 30, 2021
Parrots
Speaking of bird experience- for the life of me I dont know why I forgot to add this- it was my greatest challenge!
I raised / bred Quail and Chukars. I had quite the set up with 4 brooders, Huge incubator that held 100 eggs, heaters, lamps, outdoor pens. It was fun but what a ton of work! Just the record keeping for when what set of eggs needed to be candled, to hatchlings ages… lots of record keeping. I switched to chukars exclusively after the first year. Those quail? Well those adorable little peeping puffballs are flat out just murderous thugs!! The boooder would be fine first check, go back few hours later and you could have 6 dead. They would sometimes follow a ‘leader’ that was vicious. If you could find the little ringleader and sacrifice him you could sometimes halt the problem, but that was just too much! The chukar babies were so much sweeter!

D

Deleted member 42416

Hi Pyro!
I’m up to my wing-pits in sun conures. Welcome to the club! As you have noticed, they are incredibly intelligent!! They can also have an ear-piercing shriek. Would not change a thing. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out. Welcome!

Most Reactions

Latest posts