Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I wasn't expecting to get Pinky and Patches so soon. I've had them about a week now, and they have settled in here well. My mom who has Alzheimer's has developed health problems recently and needs special nursing care. She is no longer able to take care​ of her boys :(.

I was not in an ideal position to take on 2 more birds, but still, I couldn't rehome them. I couldn't do that to my mom. Plus these birds know me.

For those who don't know, it's never advisable to keep different species in the same cage. This is an exception. The two, both of gentle species (both Australian grass parakeets) are good friends, and they have a spacious double flight cage.

This is Patches, a Princess of Wales. His long tail is actually 2 1/2 times his body length although it's hard to tell from the pic. He talks surprisingly clearly when he wants to. He's a very active little clown.

This is Pinky, a rosy mutation Bourke's parakeet. He's not too active, but is a sweet little guy. He's the boss of Patches.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Oh Julie, I am sorry your Mom's condition has changed. Hope she is comfortable and stable.

Pinky and Patches are so beautiful! Very happy you are able to care for them, particularly as they are a link to your Mom.

WilliamKenyon

Aug 21, 2015
Media
Parrots
Mango: Male cockatiel, Ruby: Female eclectus
Sorry to hear about you mother Julie and best wishes towards her. It will be interesting to hear more about those two boys though!!

Last edited:
OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Thank you Scott and William. Although Patches is adjusted, he still hasn't started talking yet, or doing much of his regular chirps and trills. Pinky is normally pretty quiet.

Here is a funny video. Patches loves to talk to Pinky. Patches CAN talk very clearly when he wants to. Obviously he doesn't want to... This was their first day here. Click the photo to start video.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
They are lovely Julie, just sad circumstances that you have them. Sorry to hear of your Mom.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
My heart goes out to you, I have faced similar circumstances. I smile, though, for the birds. They're beautiful.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I am so sorry to hear about your mom, but Patches and Pinky couldn't have landed with a more experienced or able caretaker. They are both beautiful, and I'm sure your mother appreciates you taking them. I know you've posted about both before, clearly they are both beloved family members.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Julie, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom's condition. Thank you for offering a new home to her beautiful birds, I know they'll be far happier with you than with strangers.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OMG, that is an awesome video of Patches chattering! Would love to hear his "clear" voice, but might be more random and harder to capture!!

DerTier

Jan 27, 2017
Pierce cty wa usa
I'm sorry that you are having to go through this, we just lost my grandma in april and her dementia was really hard to watch.

Thank goodness for these little guys that you were able to take them so they can mane the adjustment to a new place much more easily:)
Much love from us <3

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Thank you all so much for your kind words.

Someone had a night fright last night. When I uncovered them the food and water dishes and toys were knocked down and there were feathers all over. I'll have to make it a little brighter for them with a night light. Especially because there will be lots of new blood feathers within a few weeks. During the capture and transfer to my place they were so freaked out they blew a bunch of flight and tail feathers. I'll keep you posted with vids when Patches starts talking again.

Most Reactions

Latest posts