New Jenday questions

dogslovepeace

Apr 7, 2015
I'm a newbie and probably in a little over my head. I purchased my Jenday a couple of weeks ago and helped feed him and visited with him a lot before bringing him home.

Here is my problem. I'm still hand feeding him twice a day. I'm using a syringe not a tube and he takes his food like a champ but I'm paranoid! Not so much of aspiration but of not knowing if he is eating enough and when I should cut him back. He will be 8 weeks on Thursday. She nibbles at the seed/pellet mix the store have me. No interest in fruits or veggies yet.

He's a cuddle bug and loves being held. I guess my questions are

- how much do they sleep during the day at this age? Pepper sleeps a lot but if I make a noise to her or if she sees me or my husband she will make noises

- she loves laying on her back. If I let her she would alway be on her back. Strange!!!

She hasn't shown interest in toys yet but she's only been home for 5 days.

I just noticed I'm calling pepper a she and a he. Lol. We have no clue!

Anyway, this is jumbled because she's in my hand wanting my attention. Lol ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428426277.628016.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1428426309.745846.jpg

I'm a newbie and probably in a little over my head. I purchased my Jenday a couple of weeks ago and helped feed him and visited with him a lot before bringing him home.

Here is my problem. I'm still hand feeding him twice a day. I'm using a syringe not a tube and he takes his food like a champ but I'm paranoid! Not so much of aspiration but of not knowing if he is eating enough and when I should cut him back. He will be 8 weeks on Thursday. She nibbles at the seed/pellet mix the store have me. No interest in fruits or veggies yet.

He's a cuddle bug and loves being held. I guess my questions are

- how much do they sleep during the day at this age? Pepper sleeps a lot but if I make a noise to her or if she sees me or my husband she will make noises

- she loves laying on her back. If I let her she would alway be on her back. Strange!!!

She hasn't shown interest in toys yet but she's only been home for 5 days.

I just noticed I'm calling pepper a she and a he. Lol. We have no clue!

Anyway, this is jumbled because she's in my hand wanting my attention. LolView attachment 13913View attachment 13914

I would abundance wean. Cut back when the bird indicates he's ready. More handfeeding is better than less. It's a security thing with them. Food = love.

My conures were generally pretty quiet during the day. If they're needs are met, they do the happy to see you thing, and the alarm calls, and not all that much else.

At this age, eat, sleep, cuddle, poop. That's all they do.

My Jenday used to sleep on her back... lying on top of her mate. So don't worry about that.

Good. She will fly to my finger and will climb around her cage but not much else. I tease her and call her couch potato

She's a baby. She's not "all there" yet mentally.

Give it six months to a year.

A conure is basically just a shrunken macaw. Super interactive, playful, pair bond bird. The more you interact with them, the more interactive they become.

She loves music. I dance with her and she has started bobbing her head to my rhythm. I'm so in love with this baby.

That's one of my all time favorites as well.

I've got about a dozen or so portrait quality bird pics...

The photo of Maggie doing her goofy macaw thing in a tree that I use for my avatar is also one of my favorites.

Py was my first bird. He was an absolute love... and that's what led me to all the others.

How cute! So far her favorite spot is my shoulder but she found inside my shirt today and that might be a new one!

Nah.

That's more an amazon spot. And trust me, a conure does not want to try to take over an amazon's spot... They tend to be UBER-TERRITORIAL about such things.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428792191.983620.jpgthis is the mix that the store gave me to start Pepper on. Does this look healthy? I know I shouldn't feed her all seed and this looks to be a lot of it.

She tried some baby romaine and also some orange and red peppers. Romaine was actually tried...peppers were run away from. Fruit attempts so far have been plum, peach, star fruit and apple. So far she hasn't been impressed. [emoji57]

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back