New member losing the plot with a new GCC in Australia.

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
I've always read this forum for advice but never joined.
Now I suddenly have a green cheek conure and he's so full on. I'm in over my head I think.
He was lost and not claimed. He doesn't bothered about it and moved right in.
I have missed having a pet around. My 17 yr old dogs passed ... the last a year ago. Its been quiet.
Not any more!

Last edited:

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I've always read this forum for advice but never joined.
Now I suddenly have a green cheek conure and he's so full on. I'm in over my head I think.
He was lost and not claimed. He doesn't seem bothered about. Just happily moved in.
But clearly had no boundaries. He screams he bites ... and won't be put off.
He chews everything. I really wasn't prepared for this.
I've had birds ... lorikeet.. eclectus.. galah ... budgie and cockatiel. I thought they were tricky. This is hard work.
I've covered everything in the lounge and kitchen .. I've had to move things ... and he still finds something to chew.
And he chews me. It seems in the last week I'm the jungle gym. He hates my feet and the remote.
We do have a routine going. And I stick to it even when he protests.
I definitely need help. This is like having a 2 Yr old round.
I have missed having a pet around. My 17 yr old dogs passed ... the last a year ago. Its been quiet.
Not any more !
Something is going on with Birdie. Last couple of weeks he's really biting. Ripping my hair and earrings. Chewing my clothes. Trying to get under my hand. And wants to live in the bread bin. No bread in there and I closed it. But he hides down the side of it. Its really weird. And he's cranky.
So now there's no hair or ears.
He used to snuggle into my neck. Now its like he can't help himself. He's trying to get on my face and bites my face.
I put him off straight away. He just comes back again and again. I'm finding I'm getting angry with a parrot. Which is crazy because he has no clue.
But we have got to a point I put him in another room. One to calm him down and to give me 10 minutes to work out what to do with him. I have to put him in the other room when I cook.
He has no idea and would happily land in the pot. Or on the hot stove. And if I put him in the cage he screams. I live in a unit ... I can't have him scream for too long.
The cage he is in is not ideal it was only temporary. But there has been a big botch with the cage delivery I bought him. So that's why I do let him out a fair bit. Once the new cage comes ... I'm hoping he can at least sit there while I do some stuff. And he will be able to play with all his toys properly.
I've read about conures. How smart they are. Able to be trained. But I keep seeing bad behaviour. I repeat over and over. But if he wants to do it I cannot get him to stop. He keeps coming back and doing it over and over. I'm expecting too much I think 🥴 But we cannot keep going like this. Now he wants to bite people who visit. And again won't be deterred.
And now I'm getting cranky with him. But there is still enjoyment having him here.
Maybe I am losing the plot 🤔
Hm, ok to me it sounds to me your conure is hormonal. What do you feed him? If he bites try a more hands off approach, you could start target and trick training him if you haven't already. If you pet him only pet his head and neck, not on any other part of his body. If he bites your visitors don't get him out while their there. Green cheeks can be relentless, sometimes mine just won't stop, when he won't quit doing something and I need him to stop, I just step back and let him compose himself or give him something new and interesting to distract him.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Hi!
Congratulations on your new conure! I think you do have a good foundation of trust between you and him and a fairly good bond but just a slight aggression problem with him?
Biting and screaming are both negative behaviors that we want to avoid but can’t completely eliminate. A good redirection of these negative behaviors through target training can be quite helpful. You can YouTube some videos about target training for birds and you’ll get a plethora of information and hopefully some good outcomes from it on your end.
Not only that, but make sure when you get your bigger cage, that you have plenty of enriching toys, things your conure can shred apart, and my favorite, foraging toys. Another thing you can YouTube for full length information and maybe even stumble across some DIY foragers yourself.
But I really do recommend target training and looking into that.
When he bites you, as hard as it may be, (I know) but try to keep still and not give him a reaction he may be looking for. No reaction= will end up being bored of biting you.
Or set him in a birdy “time out” for bad behavior such as biting in this case. And if he starts to scream, no reaction. Just wait until he stops screaming. And then take him out of cage as a reward for good behavior. This acts as your positive reinforcement. Treats are welcome as well as positive reinforcers.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
Hm, ok to me it sounds to me your conure is hormonal. What do you feed him? If he bites try a more hands off approach, you could start target and trick training him if you haven't already. If you pet him only pet his head and neck, not on any other part of his body. If he bites your visitors don't get him out while their there. Green cheeks can be relentless, sometimes mine just won't stop, when he won't quit doing something and I need him to stop, I just step back and let him compose himself or give him something new and interesting to

Hm, ok to me it sounds to me your conure is hormonal. What do you feed him? If he bites try a more hands off approach, you could start target and trick training him if you haven't already. If you pet him only pet his head and neck, not on any other part of his body. If he bites your visitors don't get him out while their there. Green cheeks can be relentless, sometimes mine just won't stop, when he won't quit doing something and I need him to stop, I just step back and let him compose himself or give him something new and interesting to distract him.
Thanks... I edited my post because I thought I'd put it in the wrong place. So I put it under conures.
Bit confused...
I have read it seems to be pretty standard behaviour.
So then how do I train myself to be more tolerant? The bird stresses me more than he should. Some things have become better. So I'm hoping tome and consistency will help 🤞
I only scratch his head. He runs up if I'm leaning on the cupboard using my phone and wants to get under it.
So I'm trying to be really aware of what he is doing.
I'll try with a perch or branch to see if he will get on ... he freaks out at the weirdest things. Then just has no fear for others.
He is fed veg chop .. some fruit. Pellets and a bit of mix for conures. That has a few sunflower seeds .. nuts and like dried capsium .. almonds. He doesn't get just a seed mix. I gather that's not so great a diet.
He gets a couple of seeds at bed as a reward for going into the cage.

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
Hi!
Congratulations on your new conure! I think you do have a good foundation of trust between you and him and a fairly good bond but just a slight aggression problem with him?
Biting and screaming are both negative behaviors that we want to avoid but can’t completely eliminate. A good redirection of these negative behaviors through target training can be quite helpful. You can YouTube some videos about target training for birds and you’ll get a plethora of information and hopefully some good outcomes from it on your end.
Not only that, but make sure when you get your bigger cage, that you have plenty of enriching toys, things your conure can shred apart, and my favorite, foraging toys. Another thing you can YouTube for full length information and maybe even stumble across some DIY foragers yourself.
But I really do recommend target training and looking into that.
When he bites you, as hard as it may be, (I know) but try to keep still and not give him a reaction he may be looking for. No reaction= will end up being bored of biting you.
Or set him in a birdy “time out” for bad behavior such as biting in this case. And if he starts to scream, no reaction. Just wait until he stops screaming. And then take him out of cage as a reward for good behavior. This acts as your positive reinforcement. Treats are welcome as well as positive reinforcers.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!
I had to set a time out. I think it was more for me. But now he knows he calms down quite quickly if it happens.
I've had a quick look on YouTube but I'll look specifically for training.
We have toys just not a good cage. And he loves cat toys with the bell inside. He rolls all over the floor with them.
I'm trying really hard not to react. I just put him down. I don't look at him. But he comes straight back.
He got me badly though on my foot. It hurt so much and I spilled coffee all over me.
That was a time out for me !
I was really cranky.
Its weird but things he can chew he won't.
I just bought him some sisal rope for his new cage and some seagrass that he can chew and hang off.
I hope it works

Shez

Feb 17, 2022
I am not sure exactly what is happening but I guess with you saying you live in Aus (me too) and the first reply to your post there is a great chance you are seeing weird non stop ott behaviours from your little guy... you are not alone!
The days are only just shortening somewhat which should start to help a little- you also want to try to aim for approx 12-14 hrs of dark at night to help with hormonal outbursts, make your bird forage (only if he has been taught or already does it) for more of his food so he is not over eating or seeing a massive supply of food sitting about for him- no petting anywhere other than feet and head, no dark hiding holes (such as under blankets, furniture, behind cushions, in cupboards etc) and limit warm mushy foods. You should start to see a return to normal when it starts being less bright for so many hours of the day.

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
I am not sure exactly what is happening but I guess with you saying you live in Aus (me too) and the first reply to your post there is a great chance you are seeing weird non stop ott behaviours from your little guy... you are not alone!
The days are only just shortening somewhat which should start to help a little- you also want to try to aim for approx 12-14 hrs of dark at night to help with hormonal outbursts, make your bird forage (only if he has been taught or already does it) for more of his food so he is not over eating or seeing a massive supply of food sitting about for him- no petting anywhere other than feet and head, no dark hiding holes (such as under blankets, furniture, behind cushions, in cupboards etc) and limit warm mushy foods. You should start to see a return to normal when it starts being less bright for so many hours of the day.
I did wonder about his eating. I started taking it away earlier. He eats nonstop if its available. He didn't before.
I've closed everything... he can't get into anything that could be made into a nest ... just in case.
He also seems to have stopped liking a bath. Usually he's right there. Now he had a look and runs off.
He's weird.
Even if he's in the dark he screams if he hears a noise.
The sleeping thing is an issue. He'd rather sit quietly in semi dark than go to bed if he knows I'm up.
I don't sleep early.
If his new cage could be sorted I could wheel him further away.
If I move him now I have to move him back when I go to bed.
So it isn't working.
But he'd get at least 10 hours.

Shez

Feb 17, 2022
Does not have to be fully asleep or totally quiet- dark is the requirement. Even birds in the wild do not have total quiet at night. The extra daylight hours trigger hormonal changes.

Make sure you still feed enough as per species general requirements but make sure there is not a tonne of excess food available all the time.

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
I'm so sorry about your old dog. 17 years is quite amazing lifespan though!
Thanks yes ... I had 2.
Bailey and lulu ... Bailey went first poor darling. Then lulu with kidney disease. I do miss them.
This bird is harder than any pet I've had 😉

Most Reactions

Latest posts