epriddy

Nov 5, 2012
Richmond, VA
Parrots
Buffwing Macaw
African Grey
IRN
Hi All,

I just joined the forum today, in large part due to my new addition of a 22yo African Grey male, close banded in 1990.

I got this bird off of craigslist a few weeks ago. His owner had been incarcerated and the bird was left with a family member. The owner is now out of jail but no longer wanted the bird. The bird was in it's cage only for 1-2 years I was told. His cage for the majority of his life is a very old 6' tall round cage that has an ancient stamp that says "Mexico" on it.

I've many birds but this is my first grey and I'm absolutely smitten.

I have a stack of books here next to my bed to read but thought joining a forum would be helpful as well.

I'm mostly trying at this point to de-code some of his behaviours, postures, movements, and vocalizations mean so that I can understand what's going on here.

I'm not having any "trouble" with him at all.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG0295.jpg
    IMAG0295.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 253
  • IMAG0301.jpg
    IMAG0301.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 271
  • IMAG0308.jpg
    IMAG0308.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 259
  • IMAG0171.jpg
    IMAG0171.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 262
  • IMAG0305.jpg
    IMAG0305.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 168

084bar

Oct 17, 2012
South Africa
Parrots
blue/green indian ringneck "Peanut"
Welcome to you and your grey, I would have loved to have a grey, always loved them but instead I got a ringneck,

enjoy

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
Hello. He looks so cute. Good luck with him and rest of your birds.

MickeysMom

Feb 13, 2012
Media
Albums
Brookhaven, Pa
Parrots
Mickey - Female U2 age unknown. DNA test came back...he is a SHE,

Tinker 12 yr old female GCC

Chiquita 16 yr old Female U2 and Junior 16 yr old Male Grey
Welcome and thank you for giving this guy a home!

Please feel free to ask questions, we have a great group, and someone will be sure to help with answers.

OP
epriddy

epriddy

Nov 5, 2012
Richmond, VA
Parrots
Buffwing Macaw
African Grey
IRN
Hi, thanks for all of the welcomes!

He does different kinds of head bobs that I wonder about. Some are almost like a dance, some are like nods, I know what the regurg one is.

He also does little huddles with his wings. They're curved and toward the front, almost like he's sitting on them. Then he'll sit at the front of his cage and flap them next to his sides, what does that mean? Then if I rub his breast bone he does a different kind of head bob altogether.

Also, many times when he's around me he sounds like he's huffing or whining very lightly like a little baby. I doesn't sound like a hungry chick or anything, just a light wheezy whine.

Any ideas?

Most Reactions