New mom

tracyg7

Jun 13, 2021
Hi! I have 2 Conures, a female Sun, Harper, and a male Turquoise, Moose. They are an accidental pair! They told me Harper was boy. I found out differently when they started mating! And as of yesterday, m pretty sure I heard little peeps from their sleeping box (they are cage free). So I joined this forum because I know I?m going to need lots of advice!
Now let?s see if I can attach pics of Moose and Harper?nope..upload errors.

I understood that the male helps take care of the clutch. But mom won?t let dad in the box since one has hatched. Is it because they are 2 different types of Conures? Mom is a Sun and dad is a GC (the kind with a gray tail). I didn?t expect any ?grandkids? so I don?t have a real breeding box and cannot look to see what she has in there. I heard the first ?peep? yesterday morning (6/12/21), and can still hear it today. Yay! Other than praying and not disturbing them, I need some lessons!

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you, your conure pair, and grandkids! Breeding can be unexpected and with luck the parents will sort out duties, properly raise and wean the chicks. Hopefully our members with breeding expertise will give guidance.

I would recommend maintaining awareness of the hatchlings progress by monitoring noise and ensuring sufficient food is present. Be aware parents may stop feeding for any number of reasons, placing the burden on you or qualified person to complete the process. Can you locate potential breeders or folks with experience - this is not a procedure easily learned by video or book. Please read this thread even though a bit late: http://www.parrotforums.com/breeding-raising-parrots/54987-before-i-start-breed.html
This thread is aimed at those who purchased unweaned baby but has helpful considerations for your circumstances: http://www.parrotforums.com/breeding-raising-parrots/74363-so-you-bought-unweaned-baby.html

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Several ways to upload images. Easiest is linking from free hosting site such as Imgur: http://www.parrotforums.com/technical-support/6287-how-post-pictures-6.html#post718293

Members have limited forum server space to store/display images. Access via "paper clip" icon in grey control panel above post box. Clicking opens secondary box where you can browse from device or paste an url. After browsing, click "upload" followed by "close this window" prompt at extreme upper right. Status bar at top initially green, progressively red as storage reduced.

OP
T

tracyg7

Jun 13, 2021
Thank you all for my day at school! Much appreciation!

OP
T

tracyg7

Jun 13, 2021
One more question, at least for today, lol! If the chick (s?) are deceased, will the parents still be aggressive towards me, like they are now, if I get too close? Will they still protect a dead nest?

Most Reactions