New owner of a beautiful IRP have a question

Antmf

Feb 14, 2011
Just got a five month old Indian ringneck which was hand fed. Got him about three days ago and yesterday he started eating and drinking which made me happy he comes out of the cage if I put my hand in there heā€™ll step up. He has yet to come out on his own though. I leave the cage door open but he has yet to actually make me feel that he wants to come out and spend time with me. But when I do have him he stays on my shoulder for hours or falls a sleep on my chest. At times he gets a little restless and then I put him back in his cage I feed him treats Iā€™m waiting on my clicker and target stick from Amazon. I still havenā€™t heard him make any bird noises other than him grinding his beak. please let me know if Iā€™m doing everything that Iā€™m supposed to be doing or if thereā€™s anything I should be doing that Iā€™m not. Thank you so much.

OP
A

Antmf

Feb 14, 2011
6C65E522-E1E1-474C-BB0C-F01E75BD4398.jpeg

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It sounds like youā€™ve really hit it off with your bird!

Remember that heā€™s s baby and just getting to know you. In a year you will wish you had this quiet sweet bird again!

He will become more outgoing when he knows you better. Right now heā€™s on his best behavior. Once he figures out that youā€™re not going to eat him he will make more noises and be more active.

OP
A

Antmf

Feb 14, 2011
It sounds like youā€™ve really hit it off with your bird!

Remember that heā€™s s baby and just getting to know you. In a year you will wish you had this quiet sweet bird again!

He will become more outgoing when he knows you better. Right now heā€™s on his best behavior. Once he figures out that youā€™re not going to eat him he will make more noises and be more active.
Very cool thank you so much.

Birb321

Sep 14, 2022
BC, Canada
Parrots
I might rescue a conure or another small parrot
your doing really good so far. He looks heally which it good (and he is really cute!). I would like to know what your feeding him and what his cage looks like. Just to let you know once he hits puberty he will be more aggressive and more hormonal
I hope this helps :orange: ā˜ŗļø

OP
A

Antmf

Feb 14, 2011
your doing really good so far. He looks heally which it good (and he is really cute!). I would like to know what your feeding him and what his cage looks like. Just to let you know once he hits puberty he will be more aggressive and more hormonal
I will take a pic of it tomorrow morning. I still need a few more things in cage. I am feeding him Roudybush pellets along with some seed mix. Also fresh fruits and veggies. Still
going to the likes and dislikes process.
I will take a pic of it tomorrow morning. I still need a few more things in cage. I am feeding him Roudybush pellets along with some seed mix. Also fresh fruits and veggies. Still

Birb321

Sep 14, 2022
BC, Canada
Parrots

that is good to here i am glad you are feeding him veggiesand fruits

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Congratulations!!! Wonderful @ spend as much time daily as you can. But make sure to give frequent snack and water breaks

This is great time to start introducing lots of leafy greens like romaine, bok chop, Swiss chard, spinach, arugula, and lots of veggies too! Brussels sprouts, aby peppers like bell abd red chili as examples, cooked sweet potatoes serve warm! Broccoli, cauliflower, snap peas, thaw and serve some frozen peas..so much great stuff for them. They are very open as babies to try new foods. Especially if you share a salad with them , or eat abd hand things to them. Try shredded, minced, or big hunks mix it up!

Start doing simple foraging with him. Cover a seed treat with a tiny piece of paper. Really praise as he figures out! Keep it real simple at first . When he gets good trt dropping a few seeds ina little bowl fil with t shredded paper. Do it together abd encourage him . Tgen leave a fewc things for him finding cage. When he gets older you can hsve him hunt for his actual food if he gets real good or just keep as something fun for treats.

Babies are still learning how to get around. So attach lots of perches on the outside of the cage near the door and turn the top of the cage into fun with perches and toys too .

Talk to him all the time and explain stuff to him .

Make sure 10-14 hours sleep at night stick to a bedtime

OP
A

Antmf

Feb 14, 2011
Hereā€™s a picture of the cage Iā€™m sure I need to get more toys etc. so maybe you guys can give me some advice on what to get. Just a quick update he actually made his first bird noises today while on my shoulder and almost pierced my eardrum lol. Very exciting and Iā€™m very happy as is my wife. Iā€™m open to any advice suggestions on how I can spruce up the cage and also Iā€™m feeding him rowdy bush pellets and Iā€™m starting to make chop with Romain lettuce Baby arugula carrots bell peppers cauliflower broccoli and Some strawberries blueberries. Tried to feed some of it to him/her but he doesnā€™t look like he wanted it so my question is whatā€™s the best way for me to introduce this chopped food because I want to start feeding him that in the morning and then let them pick on his pellets throughout the day.

Attachments

• 80959790-EFA7-4FFF-8540-A3FC2E035B39.jpeg
    80959790-EFA7-4FFF-8540-A3FC2E035B39.jpeg
    611.8 KB · Views: 45

Birb321

Sep 14, 2022
BC, Canada
Parrots
OP
A

Antmf

Feb 14, 2011
Here are some things I would recommend. Put more natural perches, I see you have one natural perch and a dowl, I would remove the dowl and put more natural perches around the cage. One more thing, toys I see your have 3 toys two of the toys are fine but there is a cotton toy remove the cotton toy because it could kill you bird.
Here are some toys
recommendations
Thank you. Do you have any natural perch recommendations? And I will get rid of the big cotton toy.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Those cotton preening toys are only dangerous if your bird eats them. Most birds would not do that; cotton isnā€™t nutritive, doesnā€™t taste good; the bird would have to be sick/disordered or maybe have a vitamin imbalance to eat non food items. (It would be like a human with ā€˜picaā€™ which is usually a mental or vitamin disturbance causing them to eat soil, chalk, etc.)

Your bird doesnā€™t NEED the cotton preening toy but some birds find them comforting to snuggle with or to groom. I had a blind parrot who loved his cotton rope ring for snuggling and rubbing his face on. He really needed stress reduction and comfort because Heā€™d been abused and I did leave that toy for him.

Baby birds are more likely to eat non-food items but for all parrots, eating non-food items is very rare and related to some problem in the birds health or environment.

My big guy (Meyers parrot) has a cotton rope preening toy. I do snip off ends that are frayed but otherwise he finds it comforting to cuddle with at night and I donā€™t want to deprive him of that comfort. My Quaker likes to cuddle with me and groom my hair or face so I donā€™t think he needs a ā€œsecurity blanketā€ as much.

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Hoo boy, you are soooo right in saying that. My year old girls scream so much it hurts.

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Now he just started screaming at times when he is on my shoulder and man it pierces my eardrum lol...
Even with them metres away, their screaming is painful. I've gone to buy noise cancelling headphones just for my hearings sake. And they, Missy started it (she joined the flock for 6 days when she got out), have a thing for the local galahs... every time one sings out they both scream... it's murder on my old age hearing.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
When Jasper was screeching and whistling really high, I didnā€™t let him sit on my shoulder. And he was pretty wound up and I donā€™t often trust him near my face.

Most Reactions