New pair of young Eclectus acting very hostile to me. Looking for advice.

Bystef

Mar 23, 2020
FL
Parrots
Eva, red sided eclectus
They are soooo beautiful! Happy it worked out, I’m getting my female eclectus next month and I can’t wait!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

OP
B

BirdofChange

Sep 1, 2019
Parrots
2 Female Solomon Island Eclectus
Adamaah and Moxie
They are both responding to basic training really really well. Both step up, often with out hesitation, though sometimes a treat is neccesary.

As for the housing situation, the advice here and somethings I've read had me very concerned. But there was also a lot of conflicting accounts I came across as well. SO to settle my mind i reached out to a local exotic bird Veterinarian with personal and professional experience with Ekkie's. After a long conversation I came to the conclusion on her advice that in the short term they don't need to be separated on a permanent housing basis so long as they are not hostile to each other. When they start to become hormonal it may need to be readdressed on a short term to permanent basis.

But I do have a secondary cage that I rotate them one at a time into on a semi-irregular schedule to confuse the establishment of territorial behaviour. (also on the advice of the local vet.) It's a very tough call, but for now I'm leaning towards her advice specifically because of the socialization and interaction benefits they get during periods when they can't be let out of the cage.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Technically she's correct, if not particularly wise. The problem is it sets you up to be reactive instead of proactive; you're waiting for something to happen first before housing them separately, which may be a lost toe, damaged beak, or worse. I'm shocked a vet wouldn't be more proactive about a situation like this, they are usually more cautious.

Then again, we see time and again vets generally are poor resources for ekkie non-medical care, period. Most of the time they don't even get the diet right.

There are no social benefits to keeping them together at this point, that's simply made up.

Look, don't be foolish - last time Ill say this before letting it go and letting you make your own mistakes - your vet gave you bum advice on this. Listen to those with plenty of experience here who want nothing but the best. You're playing with fire and setting yourself up to get burned, badly.

Be wise, and be proactive. Your girls are counting on you.

Most Reactions