New parrot owner, is my conure okay?

K.kelly524

Jun 14, 2017
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
4 amazing budgies
Hi! So I adopted a green cheek conure two days ago. He is about 4 months old and his name is Kiwi. He goes to bed at 11 pm and wake so up at 11 am so he is getting enough hours. However, I share my aprtment with my roommate and he isn't constantly going in and out of his room. He makes no loud noises but he does open and shut the door. He does it about a few times a night. My conure sleeps in my room, which is right next to his room. His cage is covered. So my first question is, is it really harming him that he probably gets woken up three or four times a night? My other question is, is that why he sleeps a lot during the day? He is very active when out of his cage. Loves to play and cuddle and eat. Drippings are normal. But the minute I Put him back in the cage, he begs to be out. Even tho I spend 5+ hours with him. After about 5 mins he settles down and then sleeps until I take him out. Is this normal? I have an appointment with my vet next Monday but I'm worried about him. He will puff up a little, sometimes stand on one leg and shut his eyes until I take him out.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Kiwi!! Two days is still very new and he is quite young. It can take a week or more to feel reasonably comfortable, so I wouldn't read too much into his specific habits.

The nightly disturbances are probably minor as birds have excellent hearing, and he may learn to ignore the sounds and go back to sleep. Excessive sleep during the day may be an issue depending on how much he actually gets at night. Birds hide illness, so when you see an obviously ill bird, the situation may be advanced. Puffing up can be a normal response to sleep preparation, as is standing on one leg.

Good to take Kiwi to a vet for a baseline check and to answer any questions. Please verify it is a certified avian vet as few are well qualified to effectively work with birds. Many have experience with "exotics" but that frankly is not sufficient IMO.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Going to get for a baseline checkup is excellent!! So happy to hear.

Your little one is still a baby and like all babies, they play, eat and nap. The routine you described sounds healthy and normsl! Don't worry in 6 months or so you will be missing those baby naps!!

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Mine is close to the same age and I have had him a little over a month. He gets covered at 8.30 and is screeching when he hears me at 7.30. I am aware that he doesn't sleep solidly through the night as he will have the odd chat with himself at times so I expect that's normal. He tends to have a nap around 1-2pm but how much he rests during the day depends how much he has been out and flying.

Some days I am busy so he is left a while but other days he is out a lot and then I do notice that he gets a little more nippy and excited. I have drawn the conclusion that there are times when he gets overtired and just a bit grumpy. A bit like an overtired child. I try now to let him have exercise time in moderation and time back in his cage to rest. That seems to keep him on much more of an even keel.

It's a bit like a puppy that desperately wants to play all day when actually he needs to sleep and rest.

Most Reactions