NEW Pineapple Conure Overgrooming?

BobaMilkTea

Mar 22, 2021
Hi! I have been dying to have a question of mine answered so I decided to make an account.

I have what I believe to be a male pineapple conure :) I recently adopted him from a bird store that was told, he was dropped off due to the family saying their children didn't have interest in a bird anymore. He is about 8 months, Vet Check up was a success he is healthy and on a vet recommended diet :05:

:gcc:MY QUESTION: He tends to groom himself A LOT and keep his feathers puffed, as if he is ill, around JUST me. (so far no damage to his feathers, I won't let it get that far), and it gets me worried...
I would say for a bird that was stuck in a small cage for most of his time alive, he is pretty attached to me and always curious as to what I'm doing. Is this grooming normal behavior?
My vet didn't quite understand what I mean when he grooms himself a lot round me, I was worried he has either fleas or something uncommon, but he is healthy. My boyfriend didn't understand either because Boba (my conures name) doesn't do it around anyone else.

I got basic hand feeding down, but I am still working training him to step-up.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
If he is over-preening, it could be a sign of anxiety, sexual behavior, sign that you remind him of what he misses/change..so many possibilities....Whatever the case, if it is over-preening, you want to do your best to stop it (without actually attending to it)

I am glad you got a vet check-up (out of curiosity, did they check blood-work?)

I am not saying it IS over-preening-- could be a sign of contentment etc- just putting it all out there.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It can be very normal. Birds want to preen when their flock is watching out for them..as his person he feels safe with , he can let down gaurd and preen. All my burds do a big preen when I get them out, and they fit on or near me.

This covers lots of bird behavior its a nice article.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

" Preening Birds preen continually throughout the day to keep their feathers clean and neat. Preening is never a problem until it becomes “over preening” and you notice that your bird is actually chewing or plucking out feathers."

This a good article, I don't have stressed parrots but I do observation to see if I can improve things. Its a good insight into how parrots can think, and has nice tips.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

Last edited:
OP
B

BobaMilkTea

Mar 22, 2021
Yes. They did do blood work, I don't have the documents with me, in hand, at the moment. They tested for some diseases and was resulted as negative. Overall I was told he is healthy! :) I did not opt-out for the gender test, because the bird shop he was at, (which doesn't house conures, he was the only exception because he was a drop off) said testing was done and showed he is a male...other than that...that is all the information I was given. :( I did a lot of research but I'm still trying to understand bird behavior.

He definitely wasn't the most idea way to receive / purchase a bird, but I wasn't able to leave him alone :(

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Assure that you are providing occasional fine misting targeting into th air above your Parrot and gently fall lightly down. Never spray a Parrot in the face.

This will help your Parrot better groom. As so very well stated above, grooming is part of feather maintenance.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yes. They did do blood work, I don't have the documents with me, in hand, at the moment. They tested for some diseases and was resulted as negative. Overall I was told he is healthy! :) I did not opt-out for the gender test, because the bird shop he was at, (which doesn't house conures, he was the only exception because he was a drop off) said testing was done and showed he is a male...other than that...that is all the information I was given. :( I did a lot of research but I'm still trying to understand bird behavior.

He definitely wasn't the most idea way to receive / purchase a bird, but I wasn't able to leave him alone :(

I loved " he definitely wasn't the most ideal way to receive/purchases a bird, but I wasn't able to leave him alone" this is so awesome!!!

It made me laugh because every bird currently in my home fits this lol!!!
Pemny I found on a dark shelf basically in a shoe box covered in feces....I had to save her, Pikachu needed a home and his owner was desperate to find a good home. I kept visiting a pet store and this miserable screaming quaker baby, I had to save him, I could see him headed for a terrible life.... 2 budgies were fobbed off on me, one was somebody escaped ( I've tried to find owner,) budgie that a cat attacked....and my green cheek Ta-dah I fell fir when I saw her.

Anyways! Congratulations on becoming a parront!!! Parrots companions bring magic, but the magic isn't free ( time, mess, commitment, noise..) you will learn the non verbal body language in time.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts