New quandary with Sugar

Tanglwood02

Mar 27, 2023
Media
Albums
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
One Goffins cockatoo. I would love more but she hates other birds!
Has anyone had a parrot that you had to deal with separation anxiety? I'm retired. I spend all hours, 24/7, with Sugar. In case you don't remember she is a Goffins cockatoo. My problem is if she doesn't see me she goes crazy with the screeching! And doesn't stop until I am back in the room where she can see me. The only time I leave a room that she is in is when I go to the restroom. I know she is hormonal right now. I found an article in Spruce Pets titled "Signs of Hormonal Behavior in Parrots" and she hits every sign. Do you think the hormones could be a factor in the separation anxiety? I'm not sure if you can tell from this picture but her cage is huge! It's actually big enough for a BG macaw. And I leave the door open all the time so that she can go in and out as she pleases.

Attachments

• IMG_0924.jpg
    IMG_0924.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 29

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
What a beautiful spoiled sweetie! :love:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
If you haven't already, try to develop a contact call with Sugar. It will take awhile for it to become a part of her development, but will help with the separation issues. At first my Salty would Call and call and call (and scream!) when he could not see me. But I started to say "I am here, where are you?" EVERYTIME I left the room or when he contact called/screamed. So now, he will call just once, and as long as I respond back, or let him know I am leaving but will be back in a few minutes, the exchange lasts a call or 2. For it to be effective, you have to do it everytime. It just like a biting issue - you have to address it every time in order to not confuse your parrot. Good Luck!

OP
Tanglwood02

Tanglwood02

Mar 27, 2023
Media
Albums
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
One Goffins cockatoo. I would love more but she hates other birds!
If you haven't already, try to develop a contact call with Sugar. It will take awhile for it to become a part of her development, but will help with the separation issues. At first my Salty would Call and call and call (and scream!) when he could not see me. But I started to say "I am here, where are you?" EVERYTIME I left the room or when he contact called/screamed. So now, he will call just once, and as long as I respond back, or let him know I am leaving but will be back in a few minutes, the exchange lasts a call or 2. For it to be effective, you have to do it everytime. It just like a biting issue - you have to address it every time in order to not confuse your parrot. Good Luck!
Thanks for the advice! I'll try it!

Most Reactions

Latest posts