New tail feathers

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
Solo is really hard on his tail feathers, he climbs, plays and drags them everywhere. At one point he didnā€™t have any in the centre and his wing tips were staring to wear instead. One of the new ones is already starting to go raggedy. (ive never seen him preen any long flight feathers)
He has now grown 3 new central ones, one of them came through with a tiny hint of blue on the sheen. Which I thought was pretty. Now 2 outside ones are coming down and these ones are very blue ! which look fab so I thought I would show you all.
I wonder if they will always come through blue or go back to green in future moults.

Attachments

• 7E05D7F9-7BBD-4C92-B677-5BC7FD17A2A2.jpeg
    7E05D7F9-7BBD-4C92-B677-5BC7FD17A2A2.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Very pretty! And I'm guessing they'll continue blue in the future. Tucker's tail is very much like that as well, but he's a red sided, not a SI. He's really rough on his tail too. Always looks kinda shaggy, especially noticable when he's flying and immediately after. šŸ™„

OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
Very pretty! And I'm guessing they'll continue blue in the future. Tucker's tail is very much like that as well, but he's a red sided, not a SI. He's really rough on his tail too. Always looks kinda shaggy, especially noticable when he's flying and immediately after. šŸ™„
Thanks Saxguy, yes his tail too looks awful when he flies. We were told he was an SI and I have no way of telling myself. it Looks like he might barber the edges off the outside feathers. As you can see where the barbs used to be. Yet Iā€™ve never seen him preen any of his long feathers. Iā€™ve only seen him preen all the short ones on his body. (And Iā€™m with him most of the day)
I did jam an old flight feather in his cage just the other day, to see what he would do with it and he took all the barbs off the part he could reach. I donā€™t know if itā€™s just because he found it annoying sticking in his cage or if itā€™s what he does. (He has a double macaw cage)

Attachments

• 36A5873B-76DE-4656-8AD7-A6627CD8C908.jpeg
    36A5873B-76DE-4656-8AD7-A6627CD8C908.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts