New tiel

OP
L

lichphantom

May 26, 2023
Update :

They are now eating more comfortably from my hands , even when I put seeds in palm of the hand they would directly come to it and the pearl one is comfortable now to step up into my palm when there is treat and stay there to eat , sometimes she even preen there and take a tour in my arm and just move comfortably there but the grey is still hesistating , he put only one leg in my hand when eat from it and sometimes he step up but for like 2 seconds and he go running ... but even though I made it so far in the progress , they still the same of being afraid of my hands when I try to touch them or when I enter my hands without food , I feel like there is no progress at all in the way they would get used to my hand even though I'm always with them and always give them treat and they even step up now, which makes me wonder what should I do next ? what's the next thing I should do since I make it this far, sometimes I feel that they might never let me allow them to touch them since they could step up in my hand but without treat they would be afraid of it , I don't know if suddenly one day they would just decide to let me touch them

also it turns out the grey most likely a male since he started last month to whistle in different ways and his face is becoming more yellow , and the pearl I think she is female even though she seems like the one that dominates more even in their fight the grey always back off , I never had male cockatiel before , but is there something I should do to make him sing more or to make him catch a specific tone ? should I make him listen to some whistles in youtube so he would imitate them or I should whistle for him ? I saw some videos before where male can sing in specific tone but I don't know how to teach him do that or if he is old enough to teach him

and since a long time they are started to have their first molt as well since there are feathers everywhere , also it seems like they are bonding more now , even though sometimes they fight but for several of times I see they are feeding each others from mouth , the grey usually take the seed and share it with the other and they just keep eating from each other's mouth , If their bond increase will this means that it will be more harder to tame them and make them used to my hand and all ? I already heard that having two pearls can be harder to tame since they can bond to each other and won't care about oyu , which is most likely what's happening .

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Update :

They are now eating more comfortably from my hands , even when I put seeds in palm of the hand they would directly come to it and the pearl one is comfortable now to step up into my palm when there is treat and stay there to eat , sometimes she even preen there and take a tour in my arm and just move comfortably there but the grey is still hesistating , he put only one leg in my hand when eat from it and sometimes he step up but for like 2 seconds and he go running ... but even though I made it so far in the progress , they still the same of being afraid of my hands when I try to touch them or when I enter my hands without food , I feel like there is no progress at all in the way they would get used to my hand even though I'm always with them and always give them treat and they even step up now, which makes me wonder what should I do next ? what's the next thing I should do since I make it this far, sometimes I feel that they might never let me allow them to touch them since they could step up in my hand but without treat they would be afraid of it , I don't know if suddenly one day they would just decide to let me touch them

also it turns out the grey most likely a male since he started last month to whistle in different ways and his face is becoming more yellow , and the pearl I think she is female even though she seems like the one that dominates more even in their fight the grey always back off , I never had male cockatiel before , but is there something I should do to make him sing more or to make him catch a specific tone ? should I make him listen to some whistles in youtube so he would imitate them or I should whistle for him ? I saw some videos before where male can sing in specific tone but I don't know how to teach him do that or if he is old enough to teach him

and since a long time they are started to have their first molt as well since there are feathers everywhere , also it seems like they are bonding more now , even though sometimes they fight but for several of times I see they are feeding each others from mouth , the grey usually take the seed and share it with the other and they just keep eating from each other's mouth , If their bond increase will this means that it will be more harder to tame them and make them used to my hand and all ? I already heard that having two pearls can be harder to tame since they can bond to each other and won't care about oyu , which is most likely what's happening .
You're making great progress. Very few birds like to be touched anywhere but their faces, despite what you see on u- tube, tiktok etc. Just perching on your hand, finger, arm, or shoulder is all you should expect from them. Sure, it may progress to allowing you to scratch their heads but touching anywhere else on their bodies scares most birds. A human hand approaching from above to touch their backs is like a predator attack.
The whistling gray is most likely male and pearls are all female after the first molt at about four-six months old.
Keep up the good work and you should have two tame friendly cockatiels. If you start ignoring them for long periods they will probably revert to being more wild. It is easier to keep a single 'tiel tame than a pair but it's worth the effort.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
That is so great that one will even go up your arm and preen on your hand now!! That is a huge accomplishment and you’ve been so patient with them. With the one that will sit on your hand and move up your arm, is your hand still in or right by the cage the entire time this is happening? Can you hold treats just outside their reach to get her to step up consistently?

I agree with what Donna said above, not all birds want to be touched or cuddled. I wouldn’t try to “pet” them or anything but would just focus on getting them to step up and perch on your finger.

OP
L

lichphantom

May 26, 2023
You're making great progress. Very few birds like to be touched anywhere but their faces, despite what you see on u- tube, tiktok etc. Just perching on your hand, finger, arm, or shoulder is all you should expect from them. Sure, it may progress to allowing you to scratch their heads but touching anywhere else on their bodies scares most birds. A human hand approaching from above to touch their backs is like a predator attack.
The whistling gray is most likely male and pearls are all female after the first molt at about four-six months old.
Keep up the good work and you should have two tame friendly cockatiels. If you start ignoring them for long periods they will probably revert to being more wild. It is easier to keep a single 'tiel tame than a pair but it's worth the effort.
Thank you , I won't be ignoring thtem as I already got used to them but it just that I had a tiel in the past , she was hand raised and she was always by my side and fly to me whenever she see me and allow me to touch her anywhere and always asks for scratch and constantely keep calling for me to get her out of the cage ... I know every bird is different and I shouldn't expect the same , but I thought by taming them I would get a similar results at least as the first tiel I had

OP
L

lichphantom

May 26, 2023
With the one that will sit on your hand and move up your arm, is your hand still in or right by the cage the entire time this is happening? Can you hold treats just outside their reach to get her to step up consistently?
yes my hand stay in the cage the entire time this is happening she will just keep staying there until she wants to go elsewhere or when I have to go and put her back in the perch , if I hold the treats in a way that not directly towards her face , for example if I put my hand to the edge of the cage , she would climb my arm to reach the palm of the hand where the treats is , if it's out of her reach she will just find her way to reach it

and they seems to have like some sort of routine , when I put my hand with treats , they will go to their usual place like they are preparing themselves to eat
I agree with what Donna said above, not all birds want to be touched or cuddled. I wouldn’t try to “pet” them or anything but would just focus on getting them to step up and perch on your finger.
but what should I do now to try to let them perch on my finger ? even the pearl that step up comfortably in my hand when there is treat , she will not do that if there is no treats in my hand and she would just go away whenever I try to move my hand into her leg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thank you , I won't be ignoring thtem as I already got used to them but it just that I had a tiel in the past , she was hand raised and she was always by my side and fly to me whenever she see me and allow me to touch her anywhere and always asks for scratch and constantely keep calling for me to get her out of the cage ... I know every bird is different and I shouldn't expect the same , but I thought by taming them I would get a similar results at least as the first tiel I had
If you wanted a bird like the hand raised tiel you had you really should have gotten ONE. And only after he was completely socialized to you, could you consider adding a second. It's going to be much more difficult to develop that kind of relationship starting with two.
I don't mean to sound harsh or critical. You are doing everything right and are making great progress- just be aware that you may never have that kind of bond when starting with two. I hope you aren't too disappointed and discouraged when your new birds don't live up to what you had in the past. You can still very much enjoy your pair of cockatiels. But it will probably be different.

OP
L

lichphantom

May 26, 2023
If you wanted a bird like the hand raised tiel you had you really should have gotten ONE. And only after he was completely socialized to you, could you consider adding a second. It's going to be much more difficult to develop that kind of relationship starting with two.
I don't mean to sound harsh or critical. You are doing everything right and are making great progress- just be aware that you may never have that kind of bond when starting with two. I hope you aren't too disappointed and discouraged when your new birds don't live up to what you had in the past. You can still very much enjoy your pair of cockatiels. But it will probably be different.
it might sound a bit dissapointing that I might not be able to get that kind of bond with them since I expected that I would get this from this start , but I won't be discourage to continue the progroess , I would be satisfied and happy if they at least won't be scared of my hand anymore and perch directy on my finger and they can comfortably go outside of the cage and perch on me and return them safely without them being scared , which I'm trying to achieve with them and hope it can happen soon

OP
L

lichphantom

May 26, 2023
update :

on wednesday the pearl tiel got suddenly sick ,she was throwing up the seeds when she eats and even throw up the water , it was holiday in that day and no vet available but I called someone and he told me to give her cider vinegar to let her feel a bit better but she didn't eat at all the whole day and looked really tired and sick , and the poop was watery green .

on thursday I took her to the vet , in my country there isn't vet that understand birds very well since they focus on just cats and dogs but this vet understand in chickens and told me she can have a look at her ,she suspected that something is blocking the food in her throat , she said there is a medicine called citrocuivre but it's only available in big quantities and she will try to get me some and meanwhile she gave me some antibiotics to mix it in the water and give it to her ( she told me that I can also give it to the grey tiel since it won't be good idea to seperate them and they drink from same place )

in that night after she drank the medicine she felt a little better and finally started to eat a little , the next day she was eating more too but her poop remained the same and she was still tired and sleepy ,but yesterday I noticed that there are seeds in her poop it was very unusual , I called the vet and she told me that she might not digesting the food well and told me to buy from other place and just continue with the medicine, I bought their food from other place ( different manufacture but the same mix seeds ) but today she is still pooping seeds and she still looks really tired , it's true she is eating more now but if there is seeds in her poop It makes me think that it's like she is not eating

what should I do now ? is the seeds in her poop very much concerning in that case ? it seems like the vet couldn't do anything about it she just told me to wait and since she wasn't professional she probably won't be able to help much , but I don't know what to do since it's heartbreaking to see her pooping seeds like that and being sleepy all the time . any help about this ?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
update :

on wednesday the pearl tiel got suddenly sick ,she was throwing up the seeds when she eats and even throw up the water , it was holiday in that day and no vet available but I called someone and he told me to give her cider vinegar to let her feel a bit better but she didn't eat at all the whole day and looked really tired and sick , and the poop was watery green .

on thursday I took her to the vet , in my country there isn't vet that understand birds very well since they focus on just cats and dogs but this vet understand in chickens and told me she can have a look at her ,she suspected that something is blocking the food in her throat , she said there is a medicine called citrocuivre but it's only available in big quantities and she will try to get me some and meanwhile she gave me some antibiotics to mix it in the water and give it to her ( she told me that I can also give it to the grey tiel since it won't be good idea to seperate them and they drink from same place )

in that night after she drank the medicine she felt a little better and finally started to eat a little , the next day she was eating more too but her poop remained the same and she was still tired and sleepy ,but yesterday I noticed that there are seeds in her poop it was very unusual , I called the vet and she told me that she might not digesting the food well and told me to buy from other place and just continue with the medicine, I bought their food from other place ( different manufacture but the same mix seeds ) but today she is still pooping seeds and she still looks really tired , it's true she is eating more now but if there is seeds in her poop It makes me think that it's like she is not eating

what should I do now ? is the seeds in her poop very much concerning in that case ? it seems like the vet couldn't do anything about it she just told me to wait and since she wasn't professional she probably won't be able to help much , but I don't know what to do since it's heartbreaking to see her pooping seeds like that and being sleepy all the time . any help about this ?
Can you buy baby bird handfeeding formula in your country? Maybe buy some from your vet? They should have access to it. If you can get some you can mix a thick paste (add warm water and stir) and try to get her to eat some of it so she gets some nutrition. Try to put some directly in her beak without forcing her.

OP
L

lichphantom

May 26, 2023
Can you buy baby bird handfeeding formula in your country? Maybe buy some from your vet? They should have access to it. If you can get some you can mix a thick paste (add warm water and stir) and try to get her to eat some of it so she gets some nutrition. Try to put some directly in her beak without forcing her.
in the pet store someone gave me something and told me that they give it to birds as liquid food ( maybe that's the baby handfeeding formula ) , he told me to make one spoon of it and mix it with 3 spoons of water and stir but when I did that it was way more liquid than a thick paste and when I tried to give it to her she didn't accept it , it could be that I stir too much that it became too liquid ? it should be in thick paste form ?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
in the pet store someone gave me something and told me that they give it to birds as liquid food ( maybe that's the baby handfeeding formula ) , he told me to make one spoon of it and mix it with 3 spoons of water and stir but when I did that it was way more liquid than a thick paste and when I tried to give it to her she didn't accept it , it could be that I stir too much that it became too liquid ? it should be in thick paste form ?
Assuming it is handfeeding formula you can make it thicker by using less wster. No guarantee she will eat it. Sick birds seldom feel like eating and you can't force them. An avian vet can tube feed them but nobody else should try to do that.

OP
L

lichphantom

May 26, 2023
Assuming it is handfeeding formula you can make it thicker by using less wster. No guarantee she will eat it. Sick birds seldom feel like eating and you can't force them. An avian vet can tube feed them but nobody else should try to do that.
I tried that but she just took just little bit of it and seems like she didn't like it much , but she is eating the seeds normally but the poops is still with little seeds in it , is there any chance that this could be a side effect from the medicines ? she pooped with seeds only when I started with her the medicines although it was what made her return to go eat in the first place but I suspected maybe it made her having some difficulty to digest the food

Most Reactions

Latest posts