New to forum with a new Amazon

TrebleMama

Nov 22, 2019
Michigan
Parrots
Treble-Red-Headed Amazon
Hi, everyone-joining the group because we just brought home our new baby yesterday, a 5 month old Mexican Red-Headed Amazon, who we've named Treble. We've wanted a larger bird for over 20 years now, and last night it finally happened :)

Excited to learn from all of the seasoned parrot-parents on this forum!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Welcome welcome welcome! Glad you found us. Lots of knowledgeable Amazon folks here, always happy to offer advice. If you haven't already, check out the stickies at the top of the Amazon sub-forum. Great info to have and be familiar with. Also, we love pictures!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. As new Amazon Parronts, the stickies at the top of the Amazon sub-forum are like a Bible for new parronts, very very good info. Love the name too. You may just need a second parrot in the future, named Bass.

OP
T

TrebleMama

Nov 22, 2019
Michigan
Parrots
Treble-Red-Headed Amazon
Welcome and be welcomed. As new Amazon Parronts, the stickies at the top of the Amazon sub-forum are like a Bible for new parronts, very very good info. Love the name too. You may just need a second parrot in the future, named Bass.

LOL! We wanted to go with a musical name since two of our kids are really involved in music (piano/keyboard and electric guitar), and he'll be set up in our office which also acts as our music room :)

Thanks for all the welcomes, very excited to have him home but also pretty nervous, with his expected lifespan he will most likely outlive me-I feel like we just adopted a child lol.

Slowly going through the stickies, especially love the one about body language. Having never interacted with an Amazon before I wasn't sure what to expect, but already I've been able to figure out a couple of cues from him going by the sticky list.

He's been incredibly calm so far, was happy to come out on my finger this morning when I opened up his cage without any hesitation, which I wasn't expecting! I've only had experience with smaller birds prior to him, so it is a bit intimidating with his size, but he's been so gentle with us so far, no nipping or other cues of fear/aggression.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
So there is a thing called the Honeymoon period, when a parrot is introduced into a new environment, where they are scoping things out. Mostly that is with adult parrots. Your 5 month old is really a baby still, and will be for maybe a 1 and a half , abouts. In that time its important that he learns good habits and behaviors. Interaction with as many people in the family and outside too is important so he is socialized well, and while he may end up with a favorite person, he does not exclude family. After that 1 year 1/2, its puberty. Some parrots have a horrible time with it ( its when a large majority of parrots are rehomed, as the darling baby becomes a biting, screamin mess of hormones) and some just shrug it off, and the parront hardly notices the change. It seems to me, with Amazons, the larger hot 3 seem to have a harder time of it. My own Salty a yellow shoulder 'zon, barely 320 grams, got grumpy for a year or so , that was it. He is back to his good natured self ( unless its molting time). After puberty, most parrots go thru a yearly mating season, and can get a taste of the old hormones , but thats a few years into your future. For now, enjoy the baby-hood, and work with him, daily.

OP
T

TrebleMama

Nov 22, 2019
Michigan
Parrots
Treble-Red-Headed Amazon
So there is a thing called the Honeymoon period, when a parrot is introduced into a new environment, where they are scoping things out. Mostly that is with adult parrots. Your 5 month old is really a baby still, and will be for maybe a 1 and a half , abouts. In that time its important that he learns good habits and behaviors. Interaction with as many people in the family and outside too is important so he is socialized well, and while he may end up with a favorite person, he does not exclude family. After that 1 year 1/2, its puberty. Some parrots have a horrible time with it ( its when a large majority of parrots are rehomed, as the darling baby becomes a biting, screamin mess of hormones) and some just shrug it off, and the parront hardly notices the change. It seems to me, with Amazons, the larger hot 3 seem to have a harder time of it. My own Salty a yellow shoulder 'zon, barely 320 grams, got grumpy for a year or so , that was it. He is back to his good natured self ( unless its molting time). After puberty, most parrots go thru a yearly mating season, and can get a taste of the old hormones , but thats a few years into your future. For now, enjoy the baby-hood, and work with him, daily.

I've been reading about that puberty/hormonal changing period of time, sounds like I'm going to have 4 teenagers at the same time, eek! (kiddos are 11, 13 and 15). Going to work really hard with him now, when he's still in the baby phase, and then read up as much as possible about what's coming after that.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Treble, thanks for joining a large and sharing Amazon community!

OP
T

TrebleMama

Nov 22, 2019
Michigan
Parrots
Treble-Red-Headed Amazon

What would you suggest working on first? I'm going to start digging into the Amazon section, but wondering if I should be focusing on specific things right now. So far we've given him space to get comfortable with his new cage and then the kids and I have all talked to him and then I've had him out on my finger for a few minutes. I also bought him a foraging box toy (he got to bring home all the toys that were in his cage at the pet store, but nothing foraging focused), and he seems really interested in that and has been working on it.

Right now I've had the cage top open for a couple hours and he's been hanging out on top grooming and watching everything going on around (we're a homeschooling family so kids are in and out of the room etc). I'm at a bit of a loss of what to actually do with him right now though-very excited to have him join our home but it is a bit overwhelming at first!

Thanks again for all your input!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
So a good exercise to start doing is playing 'warm potato' with him, with all the family members partaking. Gently passing him around after holding for a minute or two. This is a good way to socialize him early. Is he on solid foods now? Does he have a favorite treat? Another way to start the bonding process and teach him that people are "GOOD" is to offer a small sliver of that favorite treat every time you or family passes his cage or play stand. Yes.... a bribe. He will realize that only good things come from people. Accompanied by a friendly few words, this is a great tool. Its about building trust.

If you can find a way to have him eat dinner with the family, this too is good, parrots for the most part are flock eaters. A small T or play stand at the table with his food cup is great.

Try hard to set aside 15-20 minutes a night , every night, for those socializing exercises w/family. Parrots love routine.

OP
T

TrebleMama

Nov 22, 2019
Michigan
Parrots
Treble-Red-Headed Amazon
So a good exercise to start doing is playing 'warm potato' with him, with all the family members partaking. Gently passing him around after holding for a minute or two. This is a good way to socialize him early. Is he on solid foods now? Does he have a favorite treat? Another way to start the bonding process and teach him that people are "GOOD" is to offer a small sliver of that favorite treat every time you or family passes his cage or play stand. Yes.... a bribe. He will realize that only good things come from people. Accompanied by a friendly few words, this is a great tool. Its about building trust.

If you can find a way to have him eat dinner with the family, this too is good, parrots for the most part are flock eaters. A small T or play stand at the table with his food cup is great.

Try hard to set aside 15-20 minutes a night , every night, for those socializing exercises w/family. Parrots love routine.

Love these suggestion, thanks so much!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazon! The place in which Amazons Rule! One of the Great Moments in front of you is the moment that you become aware of the reality that you are owned by an Amazon. It is one of those things that is difficult to explain to someone new to this Wonderful World. At this point, it is best to say, you will know it when you come to that understanding.

Important Paperwork!!!
All Amazons are covered under CITES regulations (International) and your young Amazon should have come to you with a series of documents that define his Birthdate (hatch date) (Like a Birth Certificate), his species, His parents and their species, the Name of the Breeder, and their Address, phone number (contact information), DNA sex document. You should also have received a Bill of Sale for your baby Amazon.

If you where not provided with this information, you must contact the individual (organization) you purchased your young Amazon from to obtain this information. They are under federal obligation to provide you with this information packet.

Note: You should take this document set to your Avian Professional for them to make copies and set as part of your Amazon's Medical History.
Note: As your Amazon Ages, these document will become ever more important, especially if you travel into other States and/or Canada.

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
OP
T

TrebleMama

Nov 22, 2019
Michigan
Parrots
Treble-Red-Headed Amazon
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazon! The place in which Amazons Rule! One of the Great Moments in front of you is the moment that you become aware of the reality that you are owned by an Amazon. It is one of those things that is difficult to explain to someone new to this Wonderful World. At this point, it is best to say, you will know it when you come to that understanding.

Important Paperwork!!!
All Amazons are covered under CITES regulations (International) and your young Amazon should have come to you with a series of documents that define his Birthdate (hatch date) (Like a Birth Certificate), his species, His parents and their species, the Name of the Breeder, and their Address, phone number (contact information), DNA sex document. You should also have received a Bill of Sale for your baby Amazon.

If you where not provided with this information, you must contact the individual (organization) you purchased your young Amazon from to obtain this information. They are under federal obligation to provide you with this information packet.

Note: You should take this document set to your Avian Professional for them to make copies and set as part of your Amazon's Medical History.
Note: As your Amazon Ages, these document will become ever more important, especially if you travel into other States and/or Canada.

We did not get any of this, uh oh! I will give them a call and see where this information is. We did get a bill of sale and then a copy of the vet visit he's already had.

I did not realize how challenging it was going to be to find a vet that works with birds, I've now looked into 4 different ones in our area and no one handles Amazons. I do have a call into one more place, they do have a vet that specializes in birds, but the receptionist didn't know if she was taking new patients right now and she's out of town this weekend, so I'm waiting to hear back from them on Monday. If that falls through then I'm going to have to widen my driving parameter, which isn't ideal especially in an emergency situation where time could be a crucial factor. Bringing him to the vet that the store that we bought him from works with is an option, but it's almost 2 hours driving, each way.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
South of Hwy 10, (Ludington /Midland), the number of Avian Professionals increases rapidly, especially as you come closer to the Greater Detroit or Grand Rapids areas.

Last edited:
OP
T

TrebleMama

Nov 22, 2019
Michigan
Parrots
Treble-Red-Headed Amazon
South of Hwy 10, (Ludington /Midland), the number of Avian Professionals increases rapidly, especially as you come closer to the Greater Detroit or Grand Rapids areas.

I'm to the west of Grand Rapids (30 minutes east of Lake MI), do you have any suggestions for the Grand Rapids area? The one I've got a call into is in Grand Haven. Coopersville, Allendale and Grandville were dead ends from what I can tell?

Eta: see that your west MI as well :) We live in the Coopersville area. We got our Amazon from Preuss, in Lansing, and the vet they work with is Cedar Creek Veterinary, which is Williamston-long drive from us!

eta#2 We have a sailboat as well lol :) A 22 footer. We haven't had it out in a couple years, due to a move/job change, but when we put it in the water we use a marina on Muskegon Lake :)

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
East side of Grand Rapids: Cascade Animal Hospital has a full time Certified Avian Vet (CAV). They are on Cascade Road just North of where Cascade crosses 28th street. I have been targeting appointments late Mornings and early Afternoons to avoid the traffic slow down /blockages at the 96 /196 interchange reconstruction. I exit 96 east bound at Cascade Road and take Cascade East to their location.

Our Julio is a frequent visitor and HRH is well known by the Avian Staff.
Enjoy!!!

Long time Great Lakes Sailor /Racer!
Muskegon Lake is a great inland lake that has good sailing when Michigan is running big and easy access to Lake Michigan when its smoother. :D

Long life Grand Rapids Resident.

Sad, Preuss should have known the CITES requirements.

Last edited:
OP
T

TrebleMama

Nov 22, 2019
Michigan
Parrots
Treble-Red-Headed Amazon
East side of Grand Rapids: Cascade Animal Hospital has a full time Certified Avian Vet (CAV). They are on Cascade Road just North of where Cascade crosses 28th street. I have been targeting appointments late Mornings and early Afternoons to avoid the traffic slow down /blockages at the 96 /196 interchange reconstruction. I exit 96 east bound at Cascade Road and take Cascade East to their location.

Our Julio is a frequent visitor and HRH is well known by the Avian Staff.
Enjoy!!!

Long time Great Lakes Sailor /Racer!
Muskegon Lake is a great inland lake that has good sailing when Michigan is running big and easy access to Lake Michigan when its smoother. :D

Long life Grand Rapids Resident.

Sad, Preuss should have known the CITES requirements.

Thank you! Looked them up and they're about 30 minutes away, very doable! I should hear back from the Grand Haven vet tomorrow and if that's not going to work I'll give Cascade a call :) Just ordered a carrier online yesterday, so I'm hoping to get an appointment in the next couple of weeks after that arrives.

Going to call Preuss tomorrow and ask about the missing paperwork, hoping it was just an oversight and they can mail it to us.

And yep, husband and I are both life long residents of West MI-were both born at Butterworth (Spectrum) Hospital downtown :D Love the area and most of our family is still around here. Nice to know there's someone on the forum that's by us, appreciate all your help so far!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts