New to Quakers, need advice and all...

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Hi fellow Quakies, I am now the proud parent of a blue and a green, unsexed pair of roughly 15 week old Quakers. I previously had two female IRN"S and just couldn't manage them and, in all fairness to them, I had to rehome them. They went to separate homes too, as Missy just fought all the time with Gracie - not Gracie's fault. It's all well and true to tell the owner to train you parrot but who trains the owner?
I want to be better this time. I NEED to be better.
This is my second full day with them (will be by the end of it as it is 8am). Yesterday I got them out of the cage for about 20 minutes of time with me. I did it twice yesterday, aiming for three times today. Could see a huge difference by the second time yesterday so hoping by the third time today they will be a little happier too come to me.
I need advice on feeding schedule, what to feed, amount to feed etc.
I got some seed and some pellet stuff from the pet shop I got them from. I've chopped up some broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato, carrot and the seed part, along with some of a capsicum into a fine chop for them. They are happy to eat it. I live alone tho so fresh fruit and veggies won't last the distance in this house, they won't be fresh from grocery shop to grocery shop so I will need to freeze batches. I've done this before but my IRN's didn't like it once it was frozen and thawed. Any suggestions? I've bought cous cous, rolled oats and quinoa seed for them but haven't introduced them yet. How would you go about prepping and serving them these?
I also haven't found a name for them yet. I have been calling the green one Tashi, short for Pistachio, but the blue one, I'm calling Digo, short for Indigo but unsure if I am comfortable with it yet.
The blue one is food driven, will have to watch this one to not over feed it, but will help with training. It is also not as fearful and was the first one to investigate the cage.
The green one loves to play with the toys but is more flighty than the blue.
I think they are both clipped but I am unsure if both wings are clipped on the green one as this one takes flight in the cage and when I get it out of the cage, the blue one does not.
Any advice, name suggestions, guidance will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
2023-03-30 16.25.39.jpg

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I meant to answer this thread when I saw it but got distracted!
Are they fully weaned onto solid food or still taking formula?
For freezing, don’t add mushy veg like zucchini, cucumber etc.
Adding things like rolled oats and a little dried bird safe pasta can absorb the excess moisture.
I would sprout quinoa, cook cous cous, but only give a little. Rolled oats can be mixed with chop or seed.
If the seed mix is just grains and seeds you could soak or sprout it, offering dry is fine too.
My Quaker gets 1/2-1/3 tsp. Of seed a day.

Most Reactions

Latest posts