New to ringnecks - adopted 7 year old

Urchinia

Feb 23, 2023
Parrots
budgies (2)
Indian Ringneck Parakeet
Hello everyone!
Just over a week and a half ago, I adopted my first IRN. Previous to that, I have 2 budgies that I adore.
The IRN was supposed to be a future "dream" bird but the stars aligned and someone who wasn't actively looking to rehome, offered him to me. The circumstances were that she also had a female IRN who was quite bossy, and made the male (who I adopted) very timid to the point where he wouldn't leave his cage. She knew he needed a home where he was the only IRN. Her home was his second home, and he had been with her for about 2 years. Previous to that he was at a breeder's home, but he wouldn't breed and I suspect that his time there was not ideal.

Overall, he has a really sweet personality. He's fairly timid but I feel like in the short time that he has been with me, he's starting to understand that I am a friend and not a threat. He absolutely HATES my hands (which I've read is typical) and will not take a treat from me, but I do have a treat cup by his door that I randomly leave goodies for him in, and I can see that he's starting to understand that.

He has no interest in leaving his cage yet and is very uncomfortable if I stare at him. He screams at me less, but still will shout at me if I spend too much time too close to his cage. I will also say that his previous cage was very very small for him. He'll be moving into a bigger cage this week.

Can anyone offer advice or tips to help with taming? I know it will likely take a long time to convince him that I am a friend but he's just so sweet and I will take whatever time needed to "win him over." I do have some videos on my instagram page if anyone wants to see what his behaviour is like ( @ mitten.luna )

Attachments

• 20230216_155805.jpg
    20230216_155805.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 45

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Congrats! Just take your time and go at his pace. RIngnecks have the capacity to be really great companions. Make sure to spend some one on one with him every day, quality over quantity.

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
Very cool! I adopted my Lutino at about 5 years, a few years ago. He came bonded with the Cockatiel, so my time may have been a bit more of a challenge than with a single bird.

It was about two years to get a full bond, and that included great progress during pandemic quarantine when I was always around. He still has moods where there will be some nipping, but he's great. I don't think they will ever overcome fear of hands, so just present appropriately and all will be well. Mine also seems to hate black scoops or bowls. Goes nuts...

I've seen http://silversageaviaries.com/ post here but not recently. A great resource to dig into.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome to the forums!

I adore ringnecks and have a very stubborn little man myself.

From everything I've read, they do seem more attune to predator behavior than some other species due to their natural range having so many predators - so fear of hands as you know but also facing them straight on or staring will make a lot of them uneasy until you build trust.

To me it sounds like you're off to a good start, really. You might try, instead of walking up to him directly,just sitting to the side of his cage and reading or playing on your phone. When he seems.calm, talk to him, but still don't look at him. When he stays calm during that for a day or two, them try to look at him while talking.

I still narrate *everything* I'm doing - it does seem to help. Predators that talk aren't going to be very good at catching lunch, whereas silence and direct eye contact will still put my ringneck on edge even though he does trust me now.

It can take a long time to really break through - I'm at 10 months now :) But there's something so special about the breakthroughs being earned!

OP
Urchinia

Urchinia

Feb 23, 2023
Parrots
budgies (2)
Indian Ringneck Parakeet
Thank you so much for all of the support, suggestions and experiences! This weekend, he moved into his new, large cage (he's lived his entire life in a cage too small) and he seems so happy to explore and pace around in it. I'm lucky that he does not bite and does not act aggressive (although he did snap at a ball my son had in his hand).

His cage is right by my sofa, where I spend a lot of time when I am at home. He's showing no interest in leaving his cage yet but he does sit by the door and stare out so I think he's becoming curious.
It's promising to hear that with lots of consistent work (it really doesn't feel like work though), that he will begin to form a bond with me. He's such a sweet little green bean!

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to you and your beautiful new addition to your family! It sounds like you and he were meant to find each other at just the right time for you both.

You have exactly the right attitude for working with him. It will take time, and some days it may feel like it's one step forward and two back. After awhile, the steps back will grow fewer and the steps forward will start to happen more often. It is all so worth it as you watch the changes in him, brought about with your patience and love.
Seeing the fear and nervousness begin to be replaced with trust and love is one of the best feelings ever.
Cottonoid is so right about how special breakthroughs are that we have earned!

I love your decision to allow him to leave his cage when he feels ready. I believe that letting him make the decision on his own will be empowering for him, and will enable him to grow confidence in himself, while also building his trust in you.

This is a great thread with lots of useful info:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

I can't wait to read about your progress together, and I'd also love to hear about your budgies:)
What are everyone's names?

I'm so happy you joined us!

OP
Urchinia

Urchinia

Feb 23, 2023
Parrots
budgies (2)
Indian Ringneck Parakeet
Welcome to you and your beautiful new addition to your family! It sounds like you and he were meant to find each other at just the right time for you both.

You have exactly the right attitude for working with him. It will take time, and some days it may feel like it's one step forward and two back. After awhile, the steps back will grow fewer and the steps forward will start to happen more often. It is all so worth it as you watch the changes in him, brought about with your patience and love.
Seeing the fear and nervousness begin to be replaced with trust and love is one of the best feelings ever.
Cottonoid is so right about how special breakthroughs are that we have earned!

I love your decision to allow him to leave his cage when he feels ready. I believe that letting him make the decision on his own will be empowering for him, and will enable him to grow confidence in himself, while also building his trust in you.

This is a great thread with lots of useful info:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

I can't wait to read about your progress together, and I'd also love to hear about your budgies:)
What are everyone's names?

I'm so happy you joined us!
Thank you for your support!
The budgies are Mitten and Luna. Mitten is an absolute goofy sweetheart. He's such a happy little fella. Luna is very friendly but a little more "spicy." She's very much the boss and injects herself into every situation. They both came hand raised from a local breeder ( I got them about a year apart) and they have brought a lot of joy to our family. Mitten says a number of words, including "Come here Edith." Edith is our dog and he's absolutely enamored with her.. We joke that he thinks that he's a cocker spaniel, not a bird. He also learned to sneeze when I had covid (because I sneezed, a lot) and he had a viral video of him sneezing with me on our Instagram.

I am, and have been a "crazy bird lady" for some time. Previous to owning birds, I had numerous bird feeders, participated in bird counts, love bird watching and I do a lot of bird photography (I bird watch and take photos. It's a "rush" to first find a bird that is on my list, and then also document it)!

Most Reactions

Latest posts