Newbie in Shropshire Uk

Benfurny

Feb 9, 2024
Parrots
Male Indian ringneck
Hi we've had our male IRN now for nearly 2 weeks, he is around 5 months old, still very timid and a bit flappy, any first time tips on how I start to gain his trust? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20240130_204453.jpg
    20240130_204453.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 6

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed.

2 weeks is a blink of an eye in parrot time scale. Some parrots take months and months to settle down and start to open up. THe main thing is to let the parrot proceed at his own pace and NOT the pace of your expectations. Not saying don;t try to establish a relationship with him, just take your own sweet time.

Parrots are all about TRUST. Everything you do should be measured against that yardstick. "Does this build trust or break it?". Like a bank, you want to only make deposits in the trust bank, not withdrawals. Chasing him around to get him back in the cage - big trust buster. Letting him go back on his own - trust builder.

Start giving him a treat everytime you pass the cage, maybe into a special little cup in there. He needs to associate humans with good things only. As a good friend, Sailboats, says "Only good things happen with people". Yeah eventually you will have to do some 'bad' things, like take him to the vet, but do that after your bond has started o form.

OP
B

Benfurny

Feb 9, 2024
Parrots
Male Indian ringneck
Thanks for the reply, total newbie with birds so good to know I'm not doing anything wrong (yet), I understand it will take time which I'm happy to put in just as long as I know he is happy and not unsettled. Appreciate the advice

Welcome and be welcomed.

2 weeks is a blink of an eye in parrot time scale. Some parrots take months and months to settle down and start to open up. THe main thing is to let the parrot proceed at his own pace and NOT the pace of your expectations. Not saying don;t try to establish a relationship with him, just take your own sweet time.

Parrots are all about TRUST. Everything you do should be measured against that yardstick. "Does this build trust or break it?". Like a bank, you want to only make deposits in the trust bank, not withdrawals. Chasing him around to get him back in the cage - big trust buster. Letting him go back on his own - trust builder.

Start giving him a treat everytime you pass the cage, maybe into a special little cup in there. He needs to associate humans with good things only. As a good friend, Sailboats, says "Only good things happen with people". Yeah eventually you will have to do some 'bad' things, like take him to the vet, but do that after your bond has started o form.

Most Reactions

Latest posts