Newly Remodeled Bird Room (lots of pics)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Sweet setup, Jules! I can see why your flock is so thrilled! Next we'll need video of Griffin "zipping back and forth"! I'm sure your little extrovert won't mind. Lol!

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Thanks Reni and Stephen. :)

All because of the ONE mischief maker..... Griffin :rolleyes:, I had to install this curtain at the doorway. When I'm in the room I don't like the door shut, so this sheer light curtain still keeps it feeling open.

I velcroed in 5 places down each side to keep it in place. The sticky Velcro worked well on the fabric side too.

Now, I have to think of a way to cover Robin's cage and the budgie flight with some sort of mosquito netting when Griffin is out, to keep him from landing on it and getting hurt again by Robin, or him hurting the budgies. Ugh, this little guy is the worst! I love him :D.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
You're so handy and inventive!!!!

Sure, velcro... curtain... mesh. Of course!

But *I* would never have thought of it!!!!

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Gail, it did take me quite a while to think of exactly 'what' to put there.. I was thinking 70's bead curtain, Japanese restaurant curtain, screen door of some sort...

The doorway is narrow (I guess the standard size for a bedroom doorway) but everything is too wide. This one has a lot of slack that I keep gathered up and pushed over to the door frame which really isn't ideal. Then the tension spring rod isn't very strong, even when I twist it really tight it starts to slip down. I might have to replace it.

I hope this method of containing the little monster works out. I used to keep the door closed but cracked open several inches, which didn't work. I can't have it again where I'm going "Griffin? Where's Griffin?! Oh no!!!" Then find that he flew down the hall into the part of the house where the dog with extremely high prey drive is. Flying right over her head as she looks ready to catch him if he went a little lower :eek:. He already has had '9 lives' in his 2 1/2 years! Robin and Raven are easy parrots. Griffin must be a "real" parrot :D.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Julie, I haven't had time to post recently, but wanted to say this looks amazing! You have such lucky, spoiled birds.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Thank you so much April :).

I think I'm going to have to do something about the curtain being too wide and bunched up all on left side. Somehow size it so it fits.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Thank you so much Severe and itzjbean :). It's now 2 1/2 months later, and I really haven't changed much in here. I ended up adding more hanging toys on the boing though. That's a favorite spot for everyone. One of these days when the other room is repaired and remodeled they'll have additional space to hang out. It's such a pain in here with birds not getting along with each other.

Most Reactions

Latest posts