Night Fright

wybiethebudgie

Jan 25, 2022
Parrots
budgie / male / wybie
Last night my budgie woke up and started to frantically fly around his cage, once the lights were on and I'd sat with him for a little bit he was okay though I'm not sure what exactly caused it. He went back to sleep ok with a dim light and this morning he's acting back to normal, my only concern is the mark on his nose he got during his fright, I'm just wondering if this would require a trip to the vet, since I don't want to stress him out with the vet if it's not really helpful.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Last night my budgie woke up and started to frantically fly around his cage, once the lights were on and I'd sat with him for a little bit he was okay though I'm not sure what exactly caused it. He went back to sleep ok with a dim light and this morning he's acting back to normal, my only concern is the mark on his nose he got during his fright, I'm just wondering if this would require a trip to the vet, since I don't want to stress him out with the vet if it's not really helpful.
Could you post a pic? Do you cover his cage at night? A cover helps many birds feel more secure.

OP
W

wybiethebudgie

Jan 25, 2022
Parrots
budgie / male / wybie
Could you post a pic? Do you cover his cage at night? A cover helps many birds feel more secure.
Screenshot_20220224-163740_Gallery.jpg

OP
W

wybiethebudgie

Jan 25, 2022
Parrots
budgie / male / wybie
Could you post a pic? Do you cover his cage at night? A cover helps many birds feel more secure

I just posted a picture, and yes I do I'm thinking maybe it was too high or something I'm not sure

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hmm, if your concerned you should take him to an avian vet. Covering his cage with a sheet, not a fuzzy blanket at night should help with night frights, also you could get a night light so he could see a little bit if it's pitch black.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
We cover Salty's cage at night with a black sheet I sewed up, BUT we leave enough space at the bottom so that its not totally pitch black inside. Parrots have terrible night vison, so they do need enough light to avoid blundering around if they have a bad dream and wake up ( yes, they do dream).

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Night frights... aren't they awful?
You're getting good advice.

Yeah... make any cage changes early in the day so they become familiar... take out any obtrusive/high excitement toys... leave a reliable, constant night light or other light source... cover, probably, unless the bird is alone in the room, very individual... if possible, sleep nearby enough that you can hear that awful flapping sound and run to investigate/reassure...

The Rb used to have these night flaps once or twice a week. Over the decades, they've decreased. He has MAYBE one every month or so.

Good luck!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
budgies don't see well in the dark.
For mine I found not covering, and leaving a dim night light ended any panic attacks at night.

But it could be that covering helps too, they are individually unique so different options should be tried.

Also check thst its not night visiting roaches , bugs, mice.....
Cuz ugh.....once for me it was one of those giant Florida roaches!!! About gave me a heat attack too!

You boy is gorgeous!

Most Reactions

Latest posts