Night Parrot (Pezoporus occidentalis) Finally Photographed and Documented on Film

Dec 2, 2012
California Motherlode Area
Parrots
African Grey and Conures
Parrot enthusiasts the Night Parrot Pezoporus occidentalis an almost mythical bird due to this birds secrecy has for the first time been photographed and filmed this July 2013. This mostly ground dwelling parrot was though to be extinct until a couple a dead specimens were found in 2005 and 2006. This July an Australian Businessman John Young who had a dubious history in the past, photographed and filmed these extremely elusive parrots in their desert environment. The opinion from everyone who has seen the film and photographs is overwhelming that these are legitimate Night Parrots. The quality of the film and photography is just to good to be forged. Here's a couple of links. Sorry the pictures are on the web and have got strict copyright provisions. Run a search if you want to have a look of the wild parrots:green2:. I almost forgot they hop similar to a Kangaroo and can fly.

Australian bushman claims to have footage of legendary night parrot | Environment | guardian.co.uk

BBC News - Australian naturalist catches night parrot on film

Night Parrot, Nocturnal Bird In Australia, Seen Alive For First Time In Over A Century

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm waiting for the outcome of this....hopefully its real and another specie being taken off extinct list back to endangered instead.

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
Parrots
African Grey and Conures
I'm waiting for the outcome of this....hopefully its real and another specie being taken off extinct list back to endangered instead.

I concur with your statement x2. I want a look at the film footage too. That and the feathers this bird hunter brought back other than just the stills are what are supposed to be the evidence that makes this an undeniable claim.

haleybird

Mar 1, 2013
california
Parrots
someday very soon a hyacinth! :)
I really enjoyed reading this article! The only night parrot I'm familiar with is the Kakapo, and night parrots are so fascinating! I too am hoping this find is not a hoax!

The last link said this was one of the world's top five most mysterious parrots...I wonder what the other four are?

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
Parrots
African Grey and Conures
It seems official this appears not to be a hoax. The feathers that were collected by John Young and submitted for DNA testing came back as 100% Night Parrot (Pezoporus occidentalis). Along with the fact that only 25 specimens exist in museum collections it seems highly unlikely that John Young could have acquired feathers from any other source except the Night Parrots natural habitat. Here's an updated article.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
The fact that he is the kind of person who would temper with photographs like he has done in the past makes me skeptical......

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
Parrots
African Grey and Conures
The fact that he is the kind of person who would temper with photographs like he has done in the past makes me skeptical......

I hear you. He does have recent photos, video and feathers confirmed through DNA testing. The only thing he is lacking is taking a certified biologist to the spot and officially documenting this parrot alive in the wild.

Klaery

Jul 8, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Elroy - Hahns macaw, Ponyo - Sun conure
Just saw this. I have no doubt that he found them. I find it hard to believe though that they guy found that many feathers without disturbing what could be a very sensitive nesting site. The guy is has a track record of doing whatever it takes to make himself look good.

Here is my article on the topic. I'll do a follow up when the info is released. Unfortunately I was in NZ chasing Kea when evidence was shown at Queensland museum.
http://thewittyparrot.com/2013/07/night-parrot-found-alive/

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
Parrots
African Grey and Conures
Just saw this. I have no doubt that he found them. I find it hard to believe though that they guy found that many feathers without disturbing what could be a very sensitive nesting site. The guy is has a track record of doing whatever it takes to make himself look good.

Here is my article on the topic. I'll do a follow up when the info is released. Unfortunately I was in NZ chasing Kea when evidence was shown at Queensland museum.
Night Parrot Found Alive | The Witty Parrot

Fabulous keep us posted if more news becomes available. Great that your actually there and doing stories about these new reports. Best of luck:greenyellow::greenyellow:!

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
Parrots
African Grey and Conures
The Night Parrot (Pezoporus occidentalis) has been found. A nature preserve it appears has been made to preserve the location where the bird where found. As well the video of the Night Parrot has finally been released to the public.

Here is a link to the article.

https://www.audubon.org/news/see-rare-footage-night-parrot-australian-bush

Here is a video of some footage of a Night Parrot.

Like 'finding Elvis flipping burgers in an outback roadhouse': Museum collector - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
Yes, this is true!
Everything is still being kept absolutely secret at the moment, including the location of the new nature preserve, to prevent people from trying to find the birds.

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
Parrots
African Grey and Conures
This is an updated article with a couple new good video's about Night Parrots. April 5th 2015 another Night Parrot was captured, photographed, and had a radio transmitter attached to the Parrot by ornithologist Steve Murphy and partner Rachel Barr. That is what this article is about.

Night Parrot was captured in Queensland | Parrots Daily News

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Following this excitedly!
Thanks for the ongoing updates and opinions.

OP
M
Dec 2, 2012
Parrots
African Grey and Conures
The recent news about this story. Birders have learned the call of the Night Parrot (Pezoporus occidentalis) and now know what to search for when looking for populations of these secretive nocturnal parrots. Research of the life history in Australia and conservation techniques are being learned and developed for this species. This makes the future looks as though improvements are happening for this secretive nocturnal species. Two new populations Night Parrots have been found.

This is an updated article about this agenda.

Night parrot captured in blurry image in the Great Sandy Desert - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Reminiscent of a tiny kakapo (another nocturnal parrot, native to NZ I believe?). Wonder if these species are distantly related? The feathers are very similar.

Most Reactions

Latest posts