No Leg Band

Parri

May 18, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek
I adopted a Pineapple Conure without a leg band.

Do I need one?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
No, unless there’s some special law in your state or country saying that all domestically raised parrots must be closed-banded, or that that species must be closed banded.

I think most bird breeders band their baby birds but not all. Bands can get caught and injure a bird or can occasionally be the wrong size and injure the bird (shouldn’t if the breeder has a clue).

You can also get your birds microchipped at the vets with an injectable chip the size of a grain of rice. If your bird were to fly away and get picked up by a humane society, they now scan for these microchips (not sure if every place scans). So a found bird would be traceable to you by having it chipped.

OP
P

Parri

May 18, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek
No, unless there’s some special law in your state or country saying that all domestically raised parrots must be closed-banded, or that that species must be closed banded.

I think most bird breeders band their baby birds but not all. Bands can get caught and injure a bird or can occasionally be the wrong size and injure the bird (shouldn’t if the breeder has a clue).

You can also get your birds microchipped at the vets with an injectable chip the size of a grain of rice. If your bird were to fly away and get picked up by a humane society, they now scan for these microchips (not sure if every place scans). So a found bird would be traceable to you by having it chipped.
Thank you so much.

I didn't know that birds can be chipped. Since my bird can fly, it's become q priority.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thank you so much.

I didn't know that birds can be chipped. Since my bird can fly, it's become q priority.
Yes, I know that cockatiel sized on up can be chipped. I’m not sure about the smaller guys, though I honestly don’t see why they COULDNT as budgies are 1/3 size of tiels which is not such a big difference.

Most Reactions

Latest posts