Noisy conure

lesliedino

Jan 28, 2023
United kingdom
Parrots
Cockatiel and Black capped conure
Hello,
Yesterday I adopted a 7 month old conure. Heā€™s semi-tame and a little afraid of hands. But Iā€™ve never owned a conure before and he seems to be constantly chirping and screaming.
He doesnā€™t want to be touched but itā€™s obvious he wants to be constantly near me.
When he starts screaming and chatting constantly I try and make sure he is fed and watered. I offer toys and treats. I sit near him and ignore him if he starts to scream.

I have another bird who is a rescued cockatiel who was severely neglected and abused and sheā€™s getting a little nervous with his constant screaming and chatter. I obviously donā€™t want to upset her, but I donā€™t also want to give up so soon. If anyone could help id really appreciate it.

Please ignore the cage I know itā€™s not the best, it was the cage he came in and while Iā€™ve tried to make it better with some diy perches, it still needs lots of work and his bigger flight cage is on the way in the mail. Also ignore my partner in the back lol

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think your photo didnā€™t load. ??

I might try talking quietly to the conure if heā€™s screaming and wanting attention. Tell him heā€™s ok and youā€™re right there.

Have you started to make friends with your birds? I would spend enough time near the cage that the bird is relaxed when Iā€™m there. Then I would start to offer small treats from my fingers so the bird learns that hands are good and they give treats.

You might also put a cloth over part of the conures cage so he has a place to hide. If heā€™s afraid of you give him space until he calms down a bit. And do call and response when he chirps. Say, ā€œitā€™s okā€ or ā€œIā€™m over hereā€ or ā€œhi birdiesā€ when he makes a contact call. Thatā€™s what heā€™s looking for.

You and the cockatiel are his flock now and though the conure is a bit scared he also wants to be near you.

Briburd

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Mojito the green cheek conure
Conures are said to be noisy birds but with that said, when I first brought mine home he was 3months and he paced and chirped constantly, especially if I left the room. We developed a flock call that after a week or so of him getting settled really helped. He still randomly will pace and chirp if he wants out of the cage but itā€™s rare. Itā€™s hard to find that balance. You donā€™t want to allow the bird to think chirping and pacing means it will be let out but also make sure the bird is out often. Conures are social birds that will always chose hang time over alone/play time. I had to put mine in his cage with lots of toys and in a separate room while I was teaching him to learn how to occupy himself. When time spend out of cage make sure you are teaching him to play with toys. The conure is young so you are going to have to teach him to be somewhat independent and set boundaries. Good luck.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
When Ona screams for attention I either do a short whistle at her or talk to her in a whisper. Both work well to get her more quiet. Yours may be louder at first as heā€™s settling in to his new environment.

OP
lesliedino

lesliedino

Jan 28, 2023
United kingdom
Parrots
Cockatiel and Black capped conure
H
I think your photo didnā€™t load. ??

I might try talking quietly to the conure if heā€™s screaming and wanting attention. Tell him heā€™s ok and youā€™re right there.

Have you started to make friends with your birds? I would spend enough time near the cage that the bird is relaxed when Iā€™m there. Then I would start to offer small treats from my fingers so the bird learns that hands are good and they give treats.

You might also put a cloth over part of the conures cage so he has a place to hide. If heā€™s afraid of you give him space until he calms down a bit. And do call and response when he chirps. Say, ā€œitā€™s okā€ or ā€œIā€™m over hereā€ or ā€œhi birdiesā€ when he makes a contact call. Thatā€™s what heā€™s looking for.

You and the cockatiel are his flock now and though the conure is a bit scared he also wants to be near you.
yeah It didnā€™t lol

After posting the thread we actually had a breakthrough with him! I popped a blanket on his cage, not fully just enough to make it dark and comfortable. And I went downstairs and made some pasta watched an episode on Netflix. Then I came back upstairs and let him back out, and this time he flew straight to me and lowered his head for pets! I spent about an hour petting him before it was time for bed.
I think he wanted some love but didnā€™t know if I was safe enough to give him that love.
His last owners would grab him constantly and therefore I just spent time in the room with him but let him settle down before I would try to tame him.

My cockatiel Called pearly, isnā€™t a big fan of other birds, she has deformed feet due to the abuse sheā€™s been through and would rather sit on her swing all day. I would love for them to become friends, my conure (Ajax) does seem interested in her but he also hasnā€™t made a move to come near her so I think he might know sheā€™s not ready yet.

I will keep in mind what youā€™ve said, and give it a go and hopefully now Iā€™ve gained his trust he will begin to settle down!

Attachments

• 3F7D8E33-A05F-4F6A-9F9B-842B8F64EFCF.jpeg
    3F7D8E33-A05F-4F6A-9F9B-842B8F64EFCF.jpeg
    283.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 728DE130-BBC1-4698-A5A3-22F074B8F626.jpeg
    728DE130-BBC1-4698-A5A3-22F074B8F626.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 58

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
Do you think he could be hormonal as well? My male bird is hormonal in late January and February. Lots of screaming. It lasts about a month and goes away overnight. :) during that time he prefers my bird room to be slightly darker. Hope that helps. Heā€™s beautiful. He will be okay! šŸ˜€

Most Reactions

Latest posts