Non fattening training treat?

BruceTheQuail

Jun 12, 2016
Hi. My female eclectus is quite overweight so I am looking for a training treat to replace the sunflower seeds I had been using. The vet had suggested chopped cashew nuts for training but just generally and I'd have thought they would be fattening too.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I use small bits of walnut (from the baking aisle). Many time with ekkies they take forever to eat whatever you give them. These little long chunks are tiny but he goes nuts for them, and they are eaten very quickly. And after a three minute training session he's probably eaten no more than 1/4 teaspoon. Not bad at all

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot
I think Gizmo and Pebbles are just strange, but they love frozen peas. I often use these for flight recall training. I defrost the frozen peas and put them in a glass cup (so they can see the contents).

They are so obscessed by this, that if they ever got out, I would take a glass of peas with me to get them back out of a tree. If Gizmo is being a cheeky bugger and sitting up on a curtain rail refusing to come down, using the words "look peas" as I show an imaginary pea between my index finger and thumb, will result in an instant recall.

Fortunately the new puppy loves pea skins, so any missed pea skins are later cleaned up by Bear (17 week old Labrador), it's a fully closed ecosystem treat:D

Cheers,

Cameron

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I think Gizmo and Pebbles are just strange, but they love frozen peas. I often use these for flight recall training. I defrost the frozen peas and put them in a glass cup (so they can see the contents).

They are so obscessed by this, that if they ever got out, I would take a glass of peas with me to get them back out of a tree. If Gizmo is being a cheeky bugger and sitting up on a curtain rail refusing to come down, using the words "look peas" as I show an imaginary pea between my index finger and thumb, will result in an instant recall.

Fortunately the new puppy loves pea skins, so any missed pea skins are later cleaned up by Bear (17 week old Labrador), it's a fully closed ecosystem treat:D
Cheers,
Cameron

Great stuff, parrots and their peculiarities :) Gotta see some pics of Bear also please.

Most Reactions

Latest posts