North America WIFI issues

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
With the extensive computer use 'at home' as we Stay In Place. Some of us are having difficulty with down load speeds and /or connectivity.

I had ran into the same thing and found that over the last 6 months our total software systems have changes effecting all levels of operation and connectivity.

I'm not and expert on Computers, so if I get the words wrong or other items, please comment...

Resetting one's system:

Try this, as there have been tons of updates to all levels of connection devices and software.

- First, Shutdown and restart you computer.
Open your Web Browser.
Find your Browser History and select 'Clear All.' If you are provided a list of what to clear, select each box!!! Once you are up and running, do this at least daily!! I do it after ever use of the Web Browser!

- Shut down the Web Browser!
Close all open Applications (commonly most people leave their mail open, close it).

- Shut down your computer and unplug it.

- Find and unplug your WIFI box. I unplug it from the back of the device.

- Find and unplug your primary box from your provided, commonly called a Router or like term. STOP!!! NOTE the number of little lights (commonly green that are on or flashing) Write this number down!!!

- Also, unplug the boxes for your TV /Flat Screen units. Check the number of lights.

- Take a 15 minute break!

- Now, restart your system.

- Plug in your Router - Note, it could take up to 10 - 15 minutes for your Router to update its software from your provider!!! Until all lights are back on, do not proceed with other devices!!! Also, the volume of data flowing in from your provider can cause the Router to FREEZE UP! If an extended time passes and not all the lights come on, you will have to restart your Router by unplugging and starting over with that 15 minute break. Happened to me and others I know.
Now that all your lights are back on. Plug in your WIFI unit. Like the Router it has a couple of lights and they will need to come-on before you can move-on.

- I recommend that you plug in your TV /Flat Screen units boxes next. Like the others, they commonly have a single or two lights, so same story as above. Once you see their lights on, turn-on the TV /Flat Screen with your remote units. If they are work properly, time to move-on.

- Okay, Time to start up your computer! Power it up like normal. Once your start-up screen is in place, looking in the upper right corner of your screen. There is a line of symbols look for one that looks like a signal spreading upward - a dot at the bottom and four curved line at the top. Click on this symbol and allow a couple of minutes to list all WIFI near you including yours. Most units will list the strongest nearest your computer at the top. If you have a Laptop sit near your WIFI Unit. Most units will highlight your connection as your computer has remembered its link. Clicking on the highlighted link will commonly auto connect to your laptop. This commonly connects automatically!

Your should be ready to go!

I cannot stress how important it is to Clear Your Search History Log after each use of your Web Browser!!!
Also, Assure that all your Application and Operating software is up to date!!! This includes your Web Browser.

Last edited:

Most Reactions