Emergency vet visit for a budgie

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
So I was just sitting watching computer TV last night and the budgie blue landed on my flat screen moitor. I looked up and saw red and black around the mouth and I swear I saw nothing but his tounge and top beak.

I called the vet and left a message and was like hey I saw this, will it grow back should we be talking end of life care etc. I kept watching and saw he was eating some millet and was like ok he won't starve at least.

At this point I should point out that blue....is kind of a "shit disturber" and agressive so if the first time I saw bird blood outside the vets office it would probably be him. He's named after the velociraptor not his shade of color.....which is in fact blue.+

The vet called back and could get me in at 2 pm today.

Well the beak cleaned between yesterday and today, not covered by dark dried blood and I saw the lower bill was in fact still there. THANK GOD.

I took him anyway and the vet thinks it may be "kind of" split but still moving as one. She also cleaned up the blood and it wasn't as bad as it looked. I was given antibiotics to mix with water and siringes of painkiller (oral dose). (For the bird not me).

So he's in the play cage now by himself with his own antibiotic water and he got a dose of expensive bird asprin. His right cheek was bitten pretty hard she had to add some syptic powered after cleaning the wound.

But he's doing fine and wanting to get out really, (not yet bucko). And several other budgies are like dude let us in. You have your own millet and cauliflower and water and the budgie food mix (roudybush, seeds dried veggies and strawberry egg powder.)

I'm very relieved, relieved enough I don't mind I spent 112 bucks on a bird I bought from a previous owner for like 30 bucks.

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
He's kind of upset still, not being free, but I'm keeping him seperated at least until he's better. I can't tell who did it, no one had blood on them but him. But I have my suspiciouns.

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
He's doing fine today, I let him out when I got home from work but I plan on isolating him back in the play cage tonight and while I'm at work tomorrow to force the waterbowl of antibiotics and safety while I'm not around.

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
20230725_172832.jpg
20230726_140121.jpg

Both of these are after a lot of the blood cleaned up. I didn't get one when I first noticed I was to busy going WTF?

Currently...
20230727_165904.jpg

Looked a lot worse before the blood removed but I'm thinking he's going to be fine.

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
He made my job easy, was already in play cage so....just shut the door and got the rest in thiers. Thank god.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
The quaker did it, in the den, with the beak. Also could have been the green cheek but less likely. say 90% vs. 70% AC the sun conure just ignores them and the other budgies don't have the power.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
The quaker did it, in the den, with the beak. Also could have been the green cheek but less likely. say 90% vs. 70% AC the sun conure just ignores them and the other budgies don't have the power.
When does the trial begin? Are all the witnesses remaining silent? You should have had secret cameras filming these troublemakers. It's going to be difficult to obtain a verdict with so little evidence.

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
No evidence, so no trial. And Blue is hanging around both suspect birds without fear. The state doesn't have a case. All I can prove is a bird was hurt at some time on the 25th. And that the bird doesn't want witness protection or to be housed in a safehouse before a trial. Hands are tied.

He's doing good though.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
No evidence, so no trial. And Blue is hanging around both suspect birds without fear. The state doesn't have a case. All I can prove is a bird was hurt at some time on the 25th. And that the bird doesn't want witness protection or to be housed in a safehouse before a trial. Hands are tied.

He's doing good though.
Maybe Blue did it to himself to get attention. I think he needs a talking to about this kind of behavior!

Most Reactions

Latest posts