Northern California area bird lovers beware of this vet clinic

eneri

Oct 7, 2021
Parrots
lovebird, cockatoo
Bird Owners Beware!
One of, if not the most expensive Avian vets in the Bay area (even beyond) you will likely walk out of Medical Center For Birds in Oakley, CA with a large bill, and your bird may not get care from a certified avian vet. Furthermore, they may miss obvious signs as they did with us, that are on the top list of illnesses - not once, not twice, but with three exams and a large bill later.

Our very ill bird who we were told was fine, obviously was not once she was given back. We brought her to a much better, substantially less expensive avian vet who was able to quickly identify symptoms and properly diagnose the problem within minutes even before tests. Diagnostics confirmed the sadly obvious signs that should have been caught by MCFB. Our bird had to be put out of its misery after agonizing for days at MCFB. Seems they wanted to add up as many costs as possible by shooting her up with shots, force-feeding her when she should not have been, and charging us enormous amounts to board her overnight in an unattended facility, with lower-paid techs during the day, unattended from close - and no phone call from the vet as promised, so we had no say so or idea of our beloved, sick bird's status or to have the option to ease her suffering, scared and alone. Our feeling is this was the standard operating procedure.

They made things much worse for our bird and for us as their billing grew and there was no way to save our bird from this hell. See attached for the enormous fees. They misquote over the phone, want your credit card information before you even bring in your bird, and surprise you with a new total at pickup, different than the amount given by multiple staff members before you drove miles to get there with a sick bird, anxious to get answers and relief for your parrot.

We absolutely do NOT recommend MCFB, as they are not worth their inflated costs or the similarly inflated ego, particularly of the owner, who once realizing you are price-conscious (after already getting a lot of money from you) does not deliver and misleads you to come to pick your bird in "fine and acceptable" condition. If you want to save your bird and yourself the upset and unnecessary drain on your savings, DO NOT GO HERE!

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!...UKEwjUqp_AuLnzAhVNGTQIHXkhDtMQ9fkHKAB6BAgBED4

Attachments

• MCFBinv2.png
    MCFBinv2.png
    77.4 KB · Views: 130
  • MCFBinv1.png
    MCFBinv1.png
    82.3 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
For a split moment I thought these were in the Croatian Kuna currency I thought like "oh that's not that bad" then I realize it's dollars.

These kind of practices infuriate me, that is surely a HUGE red flag, after multiple tests they fail to give a proper diagnosis, and first visit to an ACV you get the correct diagnosis in record time, but it's probably too late by then to do anything with the poor bird. Also, how is this legal?? I could understand this type of misdiagnosis can happen with regular vets, but the clinic specifies it's for BIRDS. And yet they seemed to miss a diagnosis of a common illness in birds? (if I understood right)

I am so sorry you went through this with your beloved pet, please accept my condolences.

I had some similar experience with my dog where she almost died because of vet's laziness (she was in labour and instead of opening her up immediately he said to wait despite the pups were WAY TOO BIG compared to her. Fast forward, he had to operate her 11 in the evening half drunk, the whole operation being much more complicated since the dog was already on verge of death. Meaning also higher vet bills. Kinda disappointed as the vet is an amazing surgeon in reality.)

Thank you for giving the warning! 'Tis why we all urge people to go to Avian Certified vets. Less chances that something like this could happen. In countries where ACVs don't exist, your best bet is going to a vet who works with exotic animals, higher chance they will understand a bird more than a normal vet who works with cats and dogs all day.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Such a difficult situation! I am so sorry you lost your little one!
I will say, an overnight stay, with oxygen, runs $1000 per night on average!

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Such a difficult situation! I am so sorry you lost your little one!
I will say, an overnight stay, with oxygen, runs $1000 per night on average!
What's up with these sky high prices overseas? 1000$ on average?

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
We have paid this at two different pet hospitals! Not exotics either!

Hey, we’re not overseas! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Sorry to hear that you had to go through that! I hope whoever was in trouble got okay soon :c

Well, US and AU is...pretty much overseas for all Europeans xD ....does that mean I'm overseas for you guys? :0

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie

CricketIRN

Sep 1, 2021
Parrots
Indian Ringnecks green female and blue male
I didn’t even pay for the appointment here in Iraq you only pay for the medicine…….. and they’re cheap here…..1,000 for oxygen?!?

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)
Bird Owners Beware!
One of, if not the most expensive Avian vets in the Bay area (even beyond) you will likely walk out of Medical Center For Birds in Oakley, CA with a large bill, and your bird may not get care from a certified avian vet. Furthermore, they may miss obvious signs as they did with us, that are on the top list of illnesses - not once, not twice, but with three exams and a large bill later.

Our very ill bird who we were told was fine, obviously was not once she was given back. We brought her to a much better, substantially less expensive avian vet who was able to quickly identify symptoms and properly diagnose the problem within minutes even before tests. Diagnostics confirmed the sadly obvious signs that should have been caught by MCFB. Our bird had to be put out of its misery after agonizing for days at MCFB. Seems they wanted to add up as many costs as possible by shooting her up with shots, force-feeding her when she should not have been, and charging us enormous amounts to board her overnight in an unattended facility, with lower-paid techs during the day, unattended from close - and no phone call from the vet as promised, so we had no say so or idea of our beloved, sick bird's status or to have the option to ease her suffering, scared and alone. Our feeling is this was the standard operating procedure.

They made things much worse for our bird and for us as their billing grew and there was no way to save our bird from this hell. See attached for the enormous fees. They misquote over the phone, want your credit card information before you even bring in your bird, and surprise you with a new total at pickup, different than the amount given by multiple staff members before you drove miles to get there with a sick bird, anxious to get answers and relief for your parrot.

We absolutely do NOT recommend MCFB, as they are not worth their inflated costs or the similarly inflated ego, particularly of the owner, who once realizing you are price-conscious (after already getting a lot of money from you) does not deliver and misleads you to come to pick your bird in "fine and acceptable" condition. If you want to save your bird and yourself the upset and unnecessary drain on your savings, DO NOT GO HERE!

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!...UKEwjUqp_AuLnzAhVNGTQIHXkhDtMQ9fkHKAB6BAgBED4
I really feel so sorry and angry to see such a sad story. I went to their website it looks so professional and the staff look so friendly. It's hard to find a clinic specialized in caring of birds which just sounds so perfect for bird owners. I used to live in the Bay Area and if I know about this clinic, I would have no hesitations taking my bird to them if he needs help.

Your experience has prompted us to realize how important it is to find a "compassionate and caring" vet and not focusing on their profit margins. Not all people are the same including Certified Avian Vets.

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
We have paid this at two different pet hospitals! Not exotics either!

Hey, we’re not overseas! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Me too, just last week for hospice-like care for my pup. He was in 3 days coming home overnite and the hospitalization was $128/day. And I believe that all the small itemized charges are the results of this vet being owned by a management company.

Shadark

Oct 7, 2021
Parrots
Frodo (Cockatiel)
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I'm always astonished at the prices of some countries/clinics. We just got back our little Frodo that was hospitalized for almost 1 month, they originally charged 25€/day for the hospitalization but since he was so long in there, they charged us 20€/day and, on top of that, a 10% discount for the hospitalization, total invoice was about 600€ (hospitalization+meds+tests+pellets).

We don't have public health insurance for our pets but I'm glad to live in a country (in Europe) where I don't have to spend almost a month's salary just for a night+tests... :(

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Anyone notice that other than the OP's original Post there has been zero comment. Just my Two Cents, but it appears that the OP was only interested in trashing a Vet Clinic. Sorry, but I find it odd that a Certified Avian Vet Clinic did not follow specific examination protocol.

Wait until next year and the vast increase in near everything as inflation continues to increase the cost of near everything.

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure: Sir H. H. Gregg Q. T. Birb, III
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I'm always astonished at the prices of some countries/clinics. We just got back our little Frodo that was hospitalized for almost 1 month, they originally charged 25€/day for the hospitalization but since he was so long in there, they charged us 20€/day and, on top of that, a 10% discount for the hospitalization, total invoice was about 600€ (hospitalization+meds+tests+pellets).

We don't have public health insurance for our pets but I'm glad to live in a country (in Europe) where I don't have to spend almost a month's salary just for a night+tests... :(
The only experience I have with most vets is emergency so I'm used to massive pet bills. I take the puppalegal and the Meownagers in every couple of years for their boosters, etc. And that's usually about $100 a head--NBD every couple of years between the three of them.

But emergency stuff stacks *up* and **fast**. My grandma left us her cat who fell into crisis in late March. All of a sudden she stopped eating no matter what we gave her or tried to force her to eat (like putting mousse in her mouth). Then the hepatitis set in (which we knew because her throat was yellow on its way up to the ears). When we took her in the next day to the vet, they had us hospitalize her because she was super weak, etc. for all the obvious reasons.

The first two days of interventions *alone* were $1,500 because it was an emergency. Until the doctor finally scoped her in August and found out she had somehow swallowed a pistachio shell, the repeat hospitals, etc. all said and done were almost $9k: several hospitalizations, papilloma removals, e-tube with special diet (and being up basically 24 hours a day to feed and give her any of her 15 doses of medications), at-home saline treatments... And we're still not done with her because she ended up with ulcers on both of her eyes and they're somehow being resistant to treatment. She went from 9 pounds in March to just over 3 in August so we're fighting for every ounce right now. She gained a while pound in September lol so we're really trying to avoid anymore procedures until we can get her up to weight.

Scoping seemed like the most obvious *to me* because I wanted to check for cancer or an ulcer back in May but Baby Auntie wasn't "healthy" enough for it until it was do-or-die. But she's home and she's getting healthier and expected lifespan is another 5 years (hopefully good ones). I'm not sure if that's what happened in OP's case, though.

I am seriously curious what a "routine" hospitalization is, though, given my previous vet experience.¹ None of my vets have never used that term and I've only had 1 hospitalized overnight for any reason. And, boy, have we had some emergencies.

[¹ The Puppalegal's mast cell cancer back in February of this year--about $6k, plus the ongoing need to make her low histamine/fat/corb food with all of the necessary nutrients since she can't have pre-made stuff due to the histamine because of her predisposition for mast cells. If I eat food with bones, cost gets cut down but bone prices are way up jow that bone broth is a trend =[. Her emergency dental work back in 2017--3 months of rent.

[Gray Meownager's sudden herpes in 2016--more than a month of rent when she ran into the wall because her eyes became completely glazed over while I was at work. (Owned cats for 30 years, took care of pets for 10 to put myself through my degrees, volunteered at shelters, and somehow managed to never become aware of the signs and symptoms of cat herpes).

[Everytime there is a major change or scare, Orange Meownager ends up with his idiopathic cystitis and needs to go on a course of literal Prozac--about $300 a round--on top of his daily CBD (he is VERY delicate, and I have the scars to prove it)--another $100 a month.

[Tooloose needed weekly-to-daily at-home saline treatments for her failing liver, $100-$300 a month back in 2007-2008.

[That kind of thing. *None* of those needed hospitalizations, though. Like, baby docs are expensive and they got people like me by the fictional b### because I can't put my babies to the big sleep in the sky =( ]

Most Reactions