Taking the goober to the vet in the summer, what tests to get done?

N0va

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
None
IMG_0203.jpeg

His left nostril is obstructed so heā€™s going to vet, earliest appointment with an avian vet I could find was in may but they said over the phone that unless he was showing obvious signs of discomfort it likely can wait. I donā€™t wanna take him to an emergency vet as they donā€™t even specialize in birds and if it can wait that would be better since animal er is expensive lol. My question is that ill likely get his bloodwork done when we take him so what tests should I have done?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Oh no, that's crazy that the Avian vet there is booked so far ahead:( Are they the only one close to you?
I'm so glad it doesn't seem to be bothering him, when my Amazon had an obstruction like this it seemed to really irritate him. I think that his had been there for years before I got him, though, and I'm sure that makes a difference.

As for tests, my vet runs bloodwork and a fecal exam on my birds that are new to me.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Right, if your going, and its to a legit avian vet, have the full works done. Serves as a base line for the vet in the future if something else goes south. I get Salty a full work up every 18 months or so.

OP
N

N0va

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
None
@Terry57 @wrench13 yeah thereā€™s only one board certified avian vet in my whole town which is why the wait is so long, he looks pretty healthy besides the obstruction so I wonā€™t risk taking him to an emergency vet that doesnā€™t usually see birds

OP
N

N0va

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
None
Right, if your going, and its to a legit avian vet, have the full works done. Serves as a base line for the vet in the future if something else goes south. I get Salty a full work up every 18 months or so.
Just found out that they might put him under to draw blood and that for birds this small the process of drawing itself can be fatal to them, I donā€™t think Iā€™ll get it done if the vet feel he looks healthy at his check up, Iā€™m not risking his life and spending $600 doing so if he most likely doesnā€™t need it

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Just found out that they might put him under to draw blood and that for birds this small the process of drawing itself can be fatal to them, I donā€™t think Iā€™ll get it done if the vet feel he looks healthy at his check up, Iā€™m not risking his life and spending $600 doing so if he most likely doesnā€™t need it
When my little conure was ill, I had to take him to a different vet because my vet was closed. They were not used to birds and wanted to sedate him for bloodwork, and I also said no. They wanted me to sign a paper that said that he may not wake up and I was like, nope.
My vet was in several days later and took blood right from his neck while she was holding him. He wasn't stressed at all by her doing it that way. He was also smaller than a cockatiel.

Did the vet you're going to tell you that about sedation?

I want to mention that the vet who didn't know what she was doing ended up taking blood from one of his toenails, but she didn't clean his foot first and the test came back completely contaminated. If they end up taking it from a toenail, make sure that they clean his foot first:)

If you're in the US, it looks like this company could do the tests with blood taken in different ways.

IQ Bird Testing

I'm not in the US but hopefully someone knows whether this lab is reliable.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I've never had my birds put under for bloodwork and I've had many cockatiels, BUT my vet has been pragmatic with me when it comes to my very small birds (budgies & lovebirds). My lovebird in particular is very stressed when handled and I'm not sure she's ever gotten a blood panel--most of my birds get bloodwork yearly, but in her case they don't want to stress her AND draw blood when she's got so little of it.

I've never heard my particular vet voice the same concern with my tiels or conures. I only mention this because I'm not sure if the vet told you they might need to put your bird under or if you read it somewhere online, if your vet told you then yea I feel like it's probably not worth anesthesia and stress if there's no clinical signs although it's REALLY nice for a vet to have a healthy baseline blood work to look at if you show up with a sick bird later because they have something to compare to.

Also for the obstruction, my tiels got clogged nares somewhat frequently and sometimes they could clear it themselves if I let them hang with me in the bathroom while I showered (the steam seemed to help), and you can also use a damp warm q-tip to brush obstructions away if they aren't too deep.

OP
N

N0va

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
None
When my little conure was ill, I had to take him to a different vet because my vet was closed. They were not used to birds and wanted to sedate him for bloodwork, and I also said no. They wanted me to sign a paper that said that he may not wake up and I was like, nope.
My vet was in several days later and took blood right from his neck while she was holding him. He wasn't stressed at all by her doing it that way. He was also smaller than a cockatiel.

Did the vet you're going to tell you that about sedation?

I want to mention that the vet who didn't know what she was doing ended up taking blood from one of his toenails, but she didn't clean his foot first and the test came back completely contaminated. If they end up taking it from a toenail, make sure that they clean his foot first:)

If you're in the US, it looks like this company could do the tests with blood taken in different ways.

IQ Bird Testing

I'm not in the US but hopefully someone knows whether this lab is reliable.
They only said they might have to sedate him so they may not do it at all but for birds this small Iā€™ve read that drawing blood alone can be a risk, and I donā€™t wanna take it if the vet feels he looks healthy, especially if itā€™s a risk thatā€™s so expensive

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
They only said they might have to sedate him so they may not do it at all but for birds this small Iā€™ve read that drawing blood alone can be a risk, and I donā€™t wanna take it if the vet feels he looks healthy, especially if itā€™s a risk thatā€™s so expensive
I agree, it doesn't seem like a risk worth taking. Hopefully they can do it without sedation.

Feb 4, 2024
Media
Parrots
Canary Hulu
Beautiful colors on your bird.

As the other members said getting a full exam would be ideal.

Most Reactions

Latest posts