Not a parront, but joined because I spend time with parrots

Snapdragon

Dec 26, 2019
Everett, WA
Parrots
Tashi, almost-2-year-old female moustache parakeet, Indian subspecies (Psittacula alexandri fasciata)
Hello! I've been reading the forums for a few weeks, and thought I'd join in. I am here to learn.

I don't have a bird, but I do work at a nice parrot shop and am trying to learn all I can. I am low on the totem pole so my job mainly consists of feeding and cleaning. I do get to spend a bit of time socializing the birds and target training, and that is by far my favorite part of the job.

The store mascot, a large macaw, has decided that I am part of her flock and seems rather fond of me. We purr to each other whenever I walk by, and if I stop she comes to me and hangs from the bars of her cage by just her beak. (It always makes me laugh.) She also asks for pets and scritches on the head, neck, and (occasionally) wing-pits, and solicits my help with pinfeathers in hard-to-reach places. (She is super-cute when I'm working on pinfeathers: she leans into my side and closes her eyes in bliss.) We even have a special game I taught her: tug-of-war, complete with "growling" and shaking her head from side to side! When I clean the grate in her cage, she delights in gently freeing strands of hair from my ponytail. I always look up with a laugh and tell her that she is NOT helpful, and she quickly moves her head forward a bit, looks at me sideways, puffs her head feathers for just a moment, and purrs. (I assume that particular combination is a macaw laugh; please correct me if I'm wrong!) When she grows tired of that game, she climbs down to playfully pretend she's going to bite my hands or steal my glasses! Stinker. 💙 Silly girl reminds me of a mischievous puppy with a huge beak. Obviously I don't love that goofy overgrown chicken ONE BIT. ;)

Just as a heads up, I don't plan to get a bird myself anytime soon. I have cats, and one is a former feral with a strong prey drive. She spends hours in the window each day, watching and chattering at birds at the feeder. I also am very aware that parrots need a great deal of time and energy, and right now I don't have that. I volunteer heavily in cat rescue and am very appreciative of people who come in to visit but aren't looking to adopt because they know their limits; I am careful to be aware of my own limits as well. :)

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Welcome to you! Lots of good info here, and it sounds like you have a way with birds :). I’m always happy to hear when someone is practical about the demands of having a companion bird...you’ll fit right in here.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrot Forum!!!
Warning, hanging around this place 'may' turn you into a crazy bird person! :D

Regarding your position! There is nothing like getting up-close and personal with Parrot to get to know them and Learn From Them!

Tons to read here.

Check-out the Amazon Forum and at a minimum read the first two Sticky Threads highlighted in light blue. You will find that the: Understanding Amazon Body Language will bring you great knowledge when working with Amazon's four years and older. The other Huge Thread is: I Love Amazons ... Within this Thread you will find extensive information on the care of Amazons, but by simply changing Amazon to Parrot, you will find the 'most' of it will apply to near all parrots.

NOTE: All Parrots Do Not Have The Same Diet Requirements! Always look for the special diet needs of a Parrot Species!!!

Again Welcome!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I love that you are here to learn more and I love that you have a realistic perception of your own living situation! Smart-cookie indeed! Welcome!!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome aboard, deep respect for learning as much as you can to better care for your surrogate parrots!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcomed to you! I wish all those years ago when I got my first parrot , that I'd had this resource available!

OP
Snapdragon

Snapdragon

Dec 26, 2019
Everett, WA
Parrots
Tashi, almost-2-year-old female moustache parakeet, Indian subspecies (Psittacula alexandri fasciata)
Welcome to you! Lots of good info here, and it sounds like you have a way with birds :). I’m always happy to hear when someone is practical about the demands of having a companion bird...you’ll fit right in here.

Thank you!

Believe it or not, this macaw is the first large bird I've ever held or gotten to know; I knew nothing about birds when we met; and we only met a few weeks ago! It's true that I generally have a way with animals, but our quick friendship speaks more to how well-trained she is and the level of trust the store has in her. I'm extraordinarily lucky that she is my introduction to macaws. This is a veeeery large bird. Her beak is enormous and wicked-looking, and it makes other macaws' beaks appear far less intimidating in comparison. Now, if I could just quash that instinct to flinch when she playfully lunges at me...

It just wouldn't be fair to adopt a bird in my situation. I have three cats who are all tightly bonded to me and are very demanding of my time, attention, and presence. They're like cockatoos in that respect. (Cockacats? Catipoos?) The youngest is a former feral, is obsessed with birds, and is a very skilled and agile hunter. All three love to play with feathers. It would be too stressful for bird, cats, AND me. If a bird happened to fall into my lap and I truly were its best hope for a great life, I would find a way to make it work safely for all. (It's the softie and animal rescue volunteer in me, sigh! This is how I wound up with my youngest cat.) However, I would never intentionally put a bird or my cats in that situation.

Thank you for the welcome!

OP
Snapdragon

Snapdragon

Dec 26, 2019
Everett, WA
Parrots
Welcome to Parrot Forum!!!
Warning, hanging around this place 'may' turn you into a crazy bird person! :D

Regarding your position! There is nothing like getting up-close and personal with Parrot to get to know them and Learn From Them!

Tons to read here.

Check-out the Amazon Forum and at a minimum read the first two Sticky Threads highlighted in light blue. You will find that the: Understanding Amazon Body Language will bring you great knowledge when working with Amazon's four years and older. The other Huge Thread is: I Love Amazons ... Within this Thread you will find extensive information on the care of Amazons, but by simply changing Amazon to Parrot, you will find the 'most' of it will apply to near all parrots.

NOTE: All Parrots Do Not Have The Same Diet Requirements! Always look for the special diet needs of a Parrot Species!!!

Again Welcome!

Bahaha, I think I may be close to becoming a crazy bird lady. I already spend a lot of time in the boarding wing, talking with and loving on the parrots (especially our long-term boarders, and head scritches and head pinfeathers only) as much as they'll allow. And I already AM a crazy-store-mascot-macaw-lady.

Thank you! I've noticed that I find Amazons more cryptic than other parrots. Those threads sound very helpful. I'll read through tonight; we have a very energetic and non-stop-talkative Amazon in boarding, and I want to have a better idea of how to communicate with him in his language. Also, since you said the body language thread applies specifically to Amazons four years and older: how much of it also applies to Amazon babies? We have a few at the store, and they are certainly odd little monkeys. 💚 (One is already talking and sounds like a cute little kid who is doing voices for their toys.)

Most Reactions

Latest posts