Not again. I'm super stressed.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Yep, like I said, slow progress is still progress! They do wrap around your heart, don't they? I've had Kane, my Senegal, only since the end of November, he's going on 7 months old, and I can't imagine my house without him. He's just started his first big molt, and last week when I first saw him starting to get raggedy I freaked out and thought he might be plucking... So I immediately called my avian vet, took him in, and he was like "How old is he? Ellen, I think he's just molting!" I felt silly but at least I know he's OK...Lol, my vet didn't charge me anything so no harm, no foul, but I did feel silly. But if I lost him I'd be devastated.

Leo looks pretty good! His feathers are bright and shiny, his eyes look clear, and he looks happy!

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I have had sick birds.I found the smaller birds like yours were more sensitive to the side effects of the antibiotics
Most make them dizzy and nauseous (even Baytril).It usually makes them not want to eat much. They can lose weight and become hydrated quick.I myself learned not to play around and was handfeeding A LOT though this time.His droppings can tell you a lot about if he's eating enough.Its tough going through the full rounds of medicines to see if it's the right one.Do they know it's not a vitamin deficiency or ABV?

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
He started falling off his perch so we went back to the vet. Vet did x-rays. There's still nothing obvious, but his abdomen is a little bit bloated. He put him on an medication to help soothe his stomach to see if that helps.

ETA: by "perch" I mean the side of his food bowls. He's still in his little bin.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Oh no :( I'm so sorry. Has blood work been done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Yes. The only thing that's odd is a high white blood cell count. Dr. J. really is stumped. Now that I'm home and can see the bottle, the new medication (in addition to the antibiotic) is sucralfate. His weight was actually pretty good while we were there, but it had only been a couple hours since a 10mL formula feed, so it would have been a little lower without that. The big deal here is getting him to eat on his own and to get the WBC count down. We shall see what the new meds do.

Aidualc

Oct 15, 2016
Kent, UK
Parrots
Nemo- CAG, Sebastian- Sun Conure, Rio- Senegal, Pepper- Senegal
This is so horrible. I really hope he'll get better soon :(! Did the vet break down the distribution of WBC and which particular ones were elevated in numbers? That in itself could give indications what the issue may be.

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Starting about an hour after his first dose of sucralfate he began to eat more in earnest than he has in the last 10 days. He's eating a little broccoli, some brussel sprouts, some carrots, a grape, some kiwi and some yams, and thrown spinach and red peppers a fair distance across his bin. He hasn't moved that much in the last 10 days combined. I'm beginning to get cautiously hopeful again.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
What a disappointing setback, but nice to see some progress. Not familiar with Sucralfate and had to Google. Seems it is a great drug for gastrointestinal issues in both parrots and mammals. Hope this and antibiotics will quickly heal Leo.

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
This has been such and emotional roller coaster, but I have to be honest here. I don't think he's going to make it. He's doing poorly again today and it's getting harder and harder to even get formula in him. I'm wondering if the humane thing to do is just let him go. Am I prolonging his agony because I'm being selfish? I can barely get him to wake up for feedings. The vet said there really isn't anything more he can do than just continue to support him like I've been and hope for the best. I just don't know.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I have no idea, but WHATEVER you do, I KNOW we'll all be with you. And little Leo.
No matter what, you and he are/were/willalways be a beautiful thing.

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
I got him to eat 5mL of formula and he perked up a tiny bit. I'll try to get another 5mL in him in a little bit. That was all he could handle at that time. It stresses him out a lot.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
I have no idea, but WHATEVER you do, I KNOW we'll all be with you. And little Leo.
No matter what, you and he are/were/willalways be a beautiful thing.

Just wanted to make sure you saw this last post on previous page.
*hugs*

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
I did. Thank you. I'm a bit overwhelmed and emotional right now, and not thinking straight.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
I guess I "hope" I'll be there someday, seeing the Rickeybird out with eternal love, outliving him. But just saying that makes me shake. *more hugs*

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
I really hope I'm not there now. I'll just keep doing what I've been doing and hope for the best. There's not much more I can do. We've spent almost $1500 at this point, and the only real advantage of staying at the hospital is that an experience vet tech tube feeding him in under a minute is less stressful than me syringe feeding him. But then he's got the stress of not being at home. So he'll stay home, and hopefully he pulls through.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
My heart hurts just thinking of this. I'm glad, though, that you can hold him and feed him, like when he was a baby chick. I'm hoping for the post that says he's turned to corner and chowing down the chop. Can I send you a coffee or something? I feel pretty useless, way over here.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I recently lost a bird this way, after weeks of fighting and extreme vet bills and no answers.

Just know that whether you keep fighting or you choose to end the suffering, you will be doing what you think is best for him because you love him.

There isn't much we can do or say to help, but we are here for you in any way we can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Did you read the side effects of this new medicine ? Did they test for ABV.If he's dizzy and nauseous that's why he might be acting this way.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
Don't give up on feeding him .Mine didn't like it either .For some reason a smaller syringe worked better for me.Have it be made a little watery to make sure he's getting enough fluids.You will be able to tell by his droppings.I hope this new medicine is not to strong for him .I can't believe all you know 1500 later that he has A high white blood count and they have used Baytril ?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
This has been such and emotional roller coaster, but I have to be honest here. I don't think he's going to make it. He's doing poorly again today and it's getting harder and harder to even get formula in him. I'm wondering if the humane thing to do is just let him go. Am I prolonging his agony because I'm being selfish? I can barely get him to wake up for feedings. The vet said there really isn't anything more he can do than just continue to support him like I've been and hope for the best. I just don't know.

Oh no, Beatrice. Are you able to keep track of Leo's weight and if so is there a trend? I'm guessing Dr. J performed the requisite testing and all results have returned inconclusively? Don't suppose other local vets are worthy of a second opinion? Only board-certified I know of in the area are Todd Cecil in La Mesa and Brian Loudis in Encinitas.

Always a heart-rending decision, but you know Leo best. If he is not in pain or undue distress, hopefully he will rally. I know you are intuitive and will make the best choice.

Last edited:

Most Reactions