Number of eggs.

Gaerigar

Jul 4, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel and Budgerigar
Hello everyone. I'm doing my research because I'm about to make my first atempt to breed my budgies and I would like to know if there is a way to limit the number of eggs? Since is my first time I fear to have to many birds from the begining. I understand that females lay at least 4 eggs per clutch. But is there a safe way to stop it there?
Thanks

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hello everyone. I'm doing my research because I'm about to make my first atempt to breed my budgies and I would like to know if there is a way to limit the number of eggs? Since is my first time I fear to have to many birds from the begining. I understand that females lay at least 4 eggs per clutch. But is there a safe way to stop it there?
Thanks
There is no way to control the amount of eggs, unless you want to destroy some of the eggs, which is unethical in my opinion. If they're not fertile, you can remove the eggs(check by using a candle. If there are veins and/or a heartbeat, the egg is fertile and there's a living chick, but if there is no heartbeat or veins, then I'd feel safe getting rid of them.)

Keep in mind, when an egg is removed, you must replace it by either using a dummy egg or boiling the egg to prevent her from laying more. If she shows no interest, remove the egg.

You may find it useful to read through some of the posts in the breeding subgroup:)

Edit: subforum not subgroup

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts