Nuts in shells

Spook241

Sep 5, 2022
Has anyone frozen nuts in shells? I never really thought about doing it until I was reading an article today. My macaw loves nuts in shells (especially walnuts) as a treat but they aren't easy to come by where I live, apart from this time of year when they are sold in supermarkets for Christmas, so this is really the only time of year he gets them. But if they actually store well in the freezer I will do that and have enough until next Christmas. Anyone done it and their parrot still enjoy them once defrosted?

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Max loves walnuts in the shell too and demands one every morning.
We've been able to buy enough for a year and they only needed refrigeration...
The walnuts took up the entire crisper drawer.

Honestly this year we've been having trouble finding them.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
The sanctuary where I volunteer freezes back stock of all their food and treats, including nuts in the shells, so I say go for it!

OP
S

Spook241

Sep 5, 2022
In that case I might buy some more while I see them and give it a try. Thanks for your replies

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Yes! I have frozen nuts in shell (for birds) as well as bagged shelled nuts. Mostly because you get the best deals about this time of year but they will keep about forever if you freeze them. Nothing is worse than eating baked goods with rancid nuts and having to act like it’s good.

Last edited:

Most Reactions