Ok...Who has a good homemade poop remover recipe???

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Howdy Hi.....

Anyone have a good homemade poop remover remedy? One that doesn't require a jack hammer, or hammer and chisel??? Haaa ha ha ha haaaaaa.

We all know that when a bird dose their "oops" and we forget they did it till later, it dries hard like concrete.....

I have painted wooden floors, so I have to be careful of the chemicals, so I don't deteriorate the paint in floor.

Yeah, the birds are potty trained...95% of the time....the other 5 % is when I miss their "poop" call....

70% white vinegar/20% water/10% lemon juice in a squirt bottle. Let it sit for 10 minutes and wipe it up. If it works for greenwing size poop it should do fine for anything. Test it on your floor in an dark corner first to see if it does anything to the paint. If not, squirt away ;) I also keep a poop scrub brush in a plastic bowl under my sink for scrubbing poop splats that refuse to budge. Sometimes she does a killer dookie that lays like cement :eek:

What surface?!

For cages, and playstands, I either pressure wash outside, or use a steam cleaner. Steam cleaner melts the poop with just water, and then you wipe the mess with a sponge. No jack hammer required.

For floors, I use a paint scraper and then sweep the main part of it, then use a bucket of an unscented pine sol like product. I get the poop wet, let it soak in for about ten minutes, and then it literally just wipes clean with a sponge...

For carpets I have a spot bot.

Gotta love spot bots!!!

Getting tired of using the old jackhammer or hammer and chisel method are you? Lol!

I noticed that depending on what they eat, the poop will come off easier than other times. I think it was when there are more seeds in the diet that it makes it more like 'concrete mixed with glue'...

I don't know of any home made remedies, but my professional strength bird cleaner Avinol-3 cuts anything off usually without even sitting.

I see Birdman has similar methodology to me. I use the plastic paint scraper on the cage, play stand, perches, his (washable/reusable) cage liners. I just chip up the big chunks and then vacuum them up with the dust buster. A home steam cleaner is worth it's weight in gold for parrot owners. It works well on dried on food and poop (though if used on big chunks of poop, it will blast them across the room, which more than defeats the purpose, stick with a paint scraper and dust buster for that task!). The steam also sanitizes and freshens with nothing more than water:) Be sure to move your birds while steaming, as it is hot! I also have a "little green" for carpet spots, but Kiwi is potty trained and doesn't have accidents. It's more his clumsy owner stepping in poop/food in his bird-proof area then tracking it on the carpet:31:

Last edited:
Would a steam cleaner do anything to a painted floor though? Might harm the painted finish.

AMEN TO THAT ONE! I honestly don't even remember what I did before steam cleaners, but I remember it was harder, I was exhausted, and it took twice as long!

No chemicals. No smell. Just water. Zap it, let it sit a second, wipe clean. Done. I bought one of those big tank numbers about a year ago, now I can do both bird rooms, plus the cages on one tank of water... It seriously takes about an hour or two off my "normal" cleaning time.

I've got the McColough, that's advertized on the side of this one... same basic product. This one is cheaper, and still 1500 watts, plus has the big tank, and rolls on the floor so you don't have to carry the weight of all that water around. (which is what you want.)

http://www.qvc.com/qvc.product.M102...2843&catargetid=600006460002484628&cadevice=c

Last edited:
Would a steam cleaner do anything to a painted floor though? Might harm the painted finish.

Depends on the type of paint you're using. If it's a water based paint it would. If it's a washable paint, it shouldn't.

though if used on big chunks of poop, it will blast them across the room, which more than defeats the purpose

LOL :18: gave me a hilarious visual there. Thanks April! ....then you can find large chunks of dried parrot poop in remote and random areas of your house :52:. Hopefully not the kitchen..

I just chip up the big chunks and then vacuum them up with the dust buster. :31:

No dustbusters. I have the XXL canister shop vac. Sucks up almost anything. Don't have to sweep up all the toothpicks. I can just point the shop vac in the general direction of the mess, and it's gone.

Plus, Maggie likes sticking her beak in the thing for some reason...

Three things I couldn't live without, my shop vac, my steam cleaner, and my spot bot.

70% white vinegar/20% water/10% lemon juice in a squirt bottle. Let it sit for 10 minutes and wipe it up. If it works for greenwing size poop it should do fine for anything. Test it on your floor in an dark corner first to see if it does anything to the paint. If not, squirt away ;) I also keep a poop scrub brush in a plastic bowl under my sink for scrubbing poop splats that refuse to budge. Sometimes she does a killer dookie that lays like cement :eek:

I use White vinegar.....Never thought of adding Lemon juice to it....

My Grey and Zons poop like donkeys! The cage gets power washed....but it's the painted floor that's a problem...once in a while they'll walk on out of their room all side by side wanting breakfast...and oh...let's poop along the way...My Grey is they youngest, though potty trained to a point, he's still a walking oops.
Then I find it a bit later when it's harden to the floor...Ha haaaa (sigh)

What surface?!

For cages, and playstands, I either pressure wash outside, or use a steam cleaner. Steam cleaner melts the poop with just water, and then you wipe the mess with a sponge. No jack hammer required.

For floors, I use a paint scraper and then sweep the main part of it, then use a bucket of an unscented pine sol like product. I get the poop wet, let it soak in for about ten minutes, and then it literally just wipes clean with a sponge...

For carpets I have a spot bot.

Gotta love spot bots!!!

Steaming is good, though winter time is a bit hard to steam clean in.....Though spring is here...And time for the power wash and steaming of cages verses the good ole elbow scrub work out....ha ha ha....

The floors are what I worry about....though I have plastic mats under their cages and perches....they tend to occasionally make the whoops...All my birds are potty trained, yet my grey being the youngest still poops while taking a walk......
Painted wooden floors I can't use a scrapper on or I'll scrape up the paint.
No Carpet in this 150 year old Victorian farm house...all wooden floors. 2450 sq feet of it. Joy !!

Getting tired of using the old jackhammer or hammer and chisel method are you? Lol!

I noticed that depending on what they eat, the poop will come off easier than other times. I think it was when there are more seeds in the diet that it makes it more like 'concrete mixed with glue'...

I don't know of any home made remedies, but my professional strength bird cleaner Avinol-3 cuts anything off usually without even sitting.

I heard about the avinol...suppose to be good stuff, how is it on wooden floors that are painted??

The jack hammer rattles the nerves.....ha ha haaaaa Just kidding.

Hawk, I know Avinol-3 is not made for the skin, but I've used it In a pinch (can't wash hands immediately, or whatever the reason I've ever needed it on my skin) but anyway, it's that gentle. I've used it on MANY surfaces before, and has never ruined anything. That said, I wipe it up right away. I've got to imagine your floor has some sort of protective clear coating over the paint? If so, it should be fine.

My avian vet helped develop it. Besides cutting through poop much more quickly and efficiently than Poop Off, it is a professional veterinary wide spectrum bactericide, fungicide, and virucide which also destroys hard to kill non-enveloped viruses like PBFD. Kills EVERYTHING! Except the birds ;)

I absolutely love it! I use it to sanitize new toys and products, and even use it for some non-bird related santitizing. Although I have to be careful of using it too much for everything, the stuff isn't exactly cheap.

I got the mango pet focus stuff... So far works amazing.

Geez, I use plain water. I fold a bit of paper towel in half and in half again, place it on the offending poop and spray it with water until it's pretty much saturated. Leave for ten minutes and one firm wipe gets rid of the mess. I use a leftover McDonald's spoon for scraping that-which-resists-the-water and it's all good. No mess, no fuss, no $$$. :)

The most important aspect of dealing with poop is to watch your bird and know how and where he's likely to go. Dom hates pooping on his play surface, so he swings his little pink butt over the edge and lets fly onto the bookshelf. I have now got a thick pad of junk mail on the bookshelf so it's but a simple matter to take off the top couple of layers and replace them on the bottom. The Beakies are no trouble at all! They prefer to poop over the bathtub while seated on the shower curtain rail. A quick shot from the shower nozzle and it's all good.

I reckon the worst mess from all my birds put together is the amount of confetti they generate from their daily chewings. Dominic is like a factory! In fact, I'm sittin' here, typin' away and I can hear him mowing through a tissue box, a McDonald's takeaway drink tray, two pizza boxes and a paper towel roll. That's what I put in his rummage basket this morning and it's not enough, I know. I'll have to raid the recycle bin again before this arvo or Dommie will be calling 'P'snip! P'snip!' to let me know he's run out of chew-fodder. LOLOL! Yesterday, I gave him a purple tissue box to play with and he managed to squidge himself inside it. You should have heard him bellowing to be let out! LOLOLOLOL!

Not so endearingly, the old so-and-so had a fly the other day without warning me. He made it into the sewing room and up to the bookshelf that goes around the room just below the cornices. The rotten old toad had a good old chomp on the spines of some of my best books before we realised he was up there. OOooo! He's lucky I didn't pull his tail feathers for doing that! Fingers crossed he won't go there again. :(

ROTFL envisioning Dom in the tissue box haha! :) I hope he didn't chew your books too badly!

[
Steaming is good, though winter time is a bit hard to steam clean in.....Though spring is here...

Curious why you don't like to steam clean in the winter? I love the warm steam and the extra moisture it puts in the air lol!

For hard/dry poops, I use straight white vinegar (sprayed), and then a plastic ice-scraper (for windshields) and it peels right off. I would be lost without my plastic ice-scraper :)

For the cages and playstands, a pressure-spray machine. For an errant dropping on a counter or tile floor, paper towel with water/vinegar or a bit of liquid soap.

The bird-room tile floor is covered with painters plastic that is hung from a second-story balcony for about 36 hours to purge any aroma, and is changed weekly. The two large elevated flight cages have a very thin painters plastic taped to the four support legs. (not walked on)

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back