Okay, what's up with that

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
My baby's being silly today, I put him on my shoulder (he's been getting so much better about being away from the cage but now he's started like, picking at my face? Not like a bite or anything, more like he's trying to eat something off my face. He sure like my hair too =L

I pull my face away, and he stretches his neck to follow, It's kinda cute, but I don't get it xD He also likes to climb on top of my head every chance he gets. I've also been finding him quiet the past 2 days, but he seems more vocal if I keep him on my shoulder.

He also totally pooped on my shoulder as I was writing this. Thank you baby, you're too kind.

Edit: Oh look, 2 more gifts. You're going back to the cage mister.
:grey:

SweetBird

Feb 13, 2013
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny and Newman - Cockatiels
He might be trying to preen/groom you. My tiels, especially Newman, like to preen my hair, or even my eyelashes if I'm feeling daring. They also like my husbands beard stubble if he doesn't shave for a day or two. I just take it as a sign of affection :heart:

ct92404

Oct 14, 2012
California
Parrots
My first bird was a parakeet named Buddy (passed away November 8, 2012). My newest friend is a parakeet named Chipper.
LOL...yeah, he's trying to preen you. Gentle nibbling like that is a sign of affection. :) Your bird feels really close to you. This is really good news, your bird feels completely safe around you and loves you.

While he's doing that, praise him by saying "Good birdie" or whatever other phrase you want to use. Say it in a slightly higher pitch than your normal voice, since birds are more attracted to higher pitch sounds. (That's what I've read, anyway). That will reinforce the bond. He'll know that when he shows friendly and affectionate behavior, he will be rewarded with praise. Talk to your bird in a cheerful voice.

As far as the pooping is concerned...get used to it! While you're holding and petting your bird, you WILL get pooped on. Just accept that! I take my parakeet out all the time and he sits on my shoulder and nibbles on my face and chews my hair too. Inevitably, I always wind up with birdie business on my shirt or hands. But it's so small and easy to clean that I don't even care anymore.

Most Reactions