Old Bird... New Cage

Attila

Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Senegal Parrot

renderTimingPixel.png

New member here with a question and owner of 26 year old Senegal parrot (Attila). He has been in the same cage ever since I got him. Over the years he's managed to destroy it here and there. I'd really like to move him to a much larger cage for a number of reasons (easier to clean, easier to move around, easier to change food and water cups, etc).
My concern is that after living in the same cage for over 26 years is how well will he adapt and be comfortable with his new surroundings and how long would it take?

Pics are of his old cage, bad boy chewing an escape hole and new cage

P1010010.JPGEscaping.jpg20220303_101515.jpg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to the forum! Your new Senegal is beautiful:)
It's hard to tell how quickly he will adapt. I had an older pair of Senegals (in their mid twenties as well) and they went right into their new cage. I was keeping them for a friend, and they went right into their next new cage when she picked them, up after a few months.
I have found for me that the best way is to put the cages side by side (unless this scares him), and hang a couple of toys in there to draw his interest. Once he goes into the new cage and checks it out I bet he would be fine moving into it. With his cage deteriorating, the quicker you can get him used to it the better.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
That escape picture!
Hi! welcome to you and Attila!
Looks like a great new cage.

Depends on how well your parrot handles change.
Slow way , put side by side and start putting favorite stuff on and in and let him explore..

OP
A

Attila

Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Senegal Parrot
Welcome to the forum! Your new Senegal is beautiful:)
It's hard to tell how quickly he will adapt. I had an older pair of Senegals (in their mid twenties as well) and they went right into their new cage. I was keeping them for a friend, and they went right into their next new cage when she picked them, up after a few months.
I have found for me that the best way is to put the cages side by side (unless this scares him), and hang a couple of toys in there to draw his interest. Once he goes into the new cage and checks it out I bet he would be fine moving into it. With his cage deteriorating, the quicker you can get him used to it the better.

Thanks, that's actually the plan I had in mind (someone else suggested that too). I've had both cages close to each other for a couple of weeks now but with the doors closed. Normally he can be pretty skittish/antsy about certain things... large objects, sudden movements, things being moved around, but being next to the new bigger cage doesn't seem to phase him.

I put a few new toys in the new cage, extra perches, food and water cups and a hidey hutch. I put fresh seed and veggies in the cups earlier today and hope to very soon allow him to go back and forth between both cages.

OP
A

Attila

Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Senegal Parrot
That escape picture!
Hi! welcome to you and Attila!
Looks like a great new cage.

Depends on how well your parrot handles change.
Slow way , put side by side and start putting favorite stuff on and in and let him explore..
Thanks!

Thats' what I get for buying a cage with a plastic cage bottom. The slide out tray at the bottom of the cage is even more chewed up. Fortunately he never made the hole big enough that he can squeeze through, and I've since blocked it off.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thanks, that's actually the plan I had in mind (someone else suggested that too). I've had both cages close to each other for a couple of weeks now but with the doors closed. Normally he can be pretty skittish/antsy about certain things... large objects, sudden movements, things being moved around, but being next to the new bigger cage doesn't seem to phase him.

I put a few new toys in the new cage, extra perches, food and water cups and a hidey hutch. I put fresh seed and veggies in the cups earlier today and hope to very soon allow him to go back and forth between both cages.
I love how you are slowly letting him get acclimated to it because you can already ready his body signals. I'm so glad it wasn't one of the things that makes him anxious, and I bet he will be ready for that cage in no time

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Welcome, beautiful sennie! Great new cage setup, he’ll be very happy once he moves in. Overall just watch him for signs of distress, but birds adjust to change very fast.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
With few exceptions parrots readily acclimate to new cages. As suggested, progressively moving cage to closer proximity with enticements best strategy. And of course food, including favorite treats! With open timeline the stress will be minimal and Atilla will enjoy new palace.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo

renderTimingPixel.png

New member here with a question and owner of 26 year old Senegal parrot (Attila). He has been in the same cage ever since I got him. Over the years he's managed to destroy it here and there. I'd really like to move him to a much larger cage for a number of reasons (easier to clean, easier to move around, easier to change food and water cups, etc).
My concern is that after living in the same cage for over 26 years is how well will he adapt and be comfortable with his new surroundings and how long would it take?

Pics are of his old cage, bad boy chewing an escape hole and new cage

View attachment 36534View attachment 36535View attachment 36538
A parrots cage environment is like their home base so you’re valid for these concerns and how he will adapt to the change.
For your questions, there is no specific time frame for when your bird could adapt to the new cage since every birds changing comfort level varies greatly from bird to bird. Some birds are easily taking a liking to the change while others could take awhile to develop such accommodations to a switch in environment.
It’s helpful to keep some comfort toys from your old cage into the new cage so as to give your Senegal some sense of familiarity.
As for how well he would adapt, even in an old cage for a long period of time, he will get used to his new cage eventually even if it takes some time to adjust. That is if he doesn’t easily take to the new change.
Otherwise you’re fine if he does.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome! Good for you, for reaching out, and wanting to do things right! I hope we will see lots of you!
I'm glad you found us.
9lhIlM0.jpg

Most Reactions