OrrinocosMom

Jul 29, 2021
Media
Albums
New England
Parrots
Orrinoco The Pirate
Hi Friends,
SO, my wonderful boy (adopted in August from a not-so-great living situation), after four months of devloping a wonderfgul relationship with me, has discovered that he can get stuff he wants by biting. He used to gently tap the side of my face (when on shoulder) or arm to tell me he does or does not like something, someone, some food or whatever. But about two weeks ago he began biting rather harshly - and repeatedly if I did not give him what he wanted. I tell him no, stay calm, and return him to his cage when he does this. But he likes his cage. And is so used to being left alone (previous home) that he does not see it as a problem when I return him there. He is still using restraint when he bites - no skin breaking - but he most definitrly knows he is in control - and likes this - when he bites. He is a very big strong confident boy. I am pretty good with most of his issues so far, but I'd love to hear anyones suggestions on this biting thing.

Also, FYI, he does not - has never - liked HANDS. He will only step up onto arms - and I must keep my hand rolled away in my sleeve, or in a fist or he squawks or bites it to make it go away. He will allow my hand for two things - 1). if I offer his fave treats OR 2). if he is in "the mood" he will use his beak to open my hand and then attempt to regurgitate into it. (Yes, I know he is trying to make me his wife and wants to do that thing married people do...) This may be TMI, but I am going to share it anyway as I think it may be relevant to the biting issue. The other night, Noco witnessed my partner and I having sex within view of his cage. Immediately after, Noco puffed up, lifted his wings and made himself HUGE as he GLARED at my partner, and opened his mouth threateningly toward them. This was a first - Noco obviously knew what was going on and I think we might have a big jealously thing on our hands. He was then coy and weird with me, though this morning all seemed back to normal. He stepped up, was happy to wander with me as I did my kitchen chores, and was pleasant when we had visitors to the house. But he still did his bitey thing with me when I would not allow him to have as many walnuts and banana chips as he wated. It is like I am now just a treat dispenser and when no more treats are coming, he is done with me and wants to get the heck back to the top of his house (cage).

SO, there is my story for now. Helpful comments most welcome!
And HAPPY CHRISTMAS to all of you who celebrate that one.
:)
Oh, and PS: I LOVE MY BIRD!!!!! (Duh. But I had to say it. )

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 2.12.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 2.12.37 PM.png
    356.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 2.13.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 2.13.57 PM.png
    157.9 KB · Views: 90

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I am guess you have a Mac and you are now dealing with the World beyond the I Love You and are dealing with the "I'm The Big Bird and I know How to get my way, because I have a Really Big Bill!!"

Welcome to Hell!! An easy place to get out of and back to a loving Mac! Because of that Big Bill and individuals natural dislike of getting bit they bit just because they can!! Every time you allow it, you should get bit! Sorry, but true! If they can, they will! Mac's also love to lung to scare you, Because You Will React to it! Keep feeding their moment of Joy and they will keep bitting you!!

Mac's have a limit as to how far back they can turn their head. First, please stop stepping back as you are only feeding his want for a response! Stand your ground and say: NO! Than try again, say NO! if needed. This cuts his moments of joy!! He loss, you won!! Now with a bit of courage, and using your pointing finger attempt to touch his Bill. you will notice that he will raise his Bill by first opening his Bill then lifting his head. Keep lifting your finger using your arm in an arch until you find that with his Beak straight up. he can no longer raise his beak. Touch to top of his Bill about center height and say: Good Parrot!! or whatever you are using. Lift away and back one set away and keep saying Good Boy! Start again by move that step back and say touch! and repeat!

Remember Mac's love reaction! Especially Fear!!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Agree with Sailboat.
Also the honeymoon is over, now he wants to see what he can get away with.

I recommend more exercise. More foraging, games, fun easy trick Training! Get that mind occupied. The below is excellent stuff to do together with your bird

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I suggest that instead of returning him to his cage, put him on a handy nearby chairback, immediately after you say NO. Sending him back to his cage may be exactly what he wants. CHair back, turn your back to him and totally ignore him for a minute or 2 ( no longer). Nothing, no eye contact, don;t even talk about him ( they can tell!!!).

OP
OrrinocosMom

OrrinocosMom

Jul 29, 2021
Media
Albums
New England
Parrots
Orrinoco The Pirate
I suggest that instead of returning him to his cage, put him on a handy nearby chairback, immediately after you say NO. Sending him back to his cage may be exactly what he wants. CHair back, turn your back to him and totally ignore him for a minute or 2 ( no longer). Nothing, no eye contact, don;t even talk about him ( they can tell!!!).
Thanks! This is really helpful.❤️🦜

Most Reactions

Latest posts