Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
So I have a TON of old pill bottles, anyone have any ideas what to do with them? I'm thinking of cutting them up into rings for some toys, or filling them with a few nuts for some shaky toys, I have no ideas!

Otherwise they're just going to be thrown into the recycling bin after I finish taking all the labels off!

Lullx

Mar 6, 2015
Central New York
Parrots
Nephele - Baby CAG | Genevieve & Phaedrus - Green Cheeks | Lucy - Lutino Cockatiel | Ludo, Zero & Anzu - Budgerigars
I've drilled holes into the tops and some of the bottoms to make super fun foot rattles with leather cord and beads hanging off; strung them up for hanging "bells" by the hole in the top with fun noisy stuff inside; left some without any holes and filled them with jingle bells and beads.

My birds love playing with old pill bottles, especially when they can see there's something inside but can't get to it. They make a ton of noise when they're rolled around, shaken or thrown.
...The pill bottles, not the birds. Though a few of them do enjoy rough-housing and make some fun noises as a result.

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That's an excellent idea instead of throwing them away :). I never would have thought of that! Of course we'd wash them out :eek: sometimes I have meds that could leave a little powder behind in the bottle!

I bet my fids would love that. Hanging plastic bells. Then you can even string them so that there are beads and such inside the hanging containers (like how a bell clapper hangs inside). Or as you mentioned, putting things inside like a foraging toy.

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Yeah, I was going to load up the dishwasher with the bottles, LOL. I've got some bigger ones I'm going to put some buttons and things in for storage since I have a habit of losing things...

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Sounds like you have a TON of them! The ones I get are the small size bottle. I wish I had different sizes and different colors too.

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I am not on any medications, so I don't get my own pill bottles, but I do ask my Mom, Brother and a few friends to save a couple for me every now and then.

They drive Zilla crazier than she already is...she gets so mad when she can't get to the things inside of them! Put a couple jungle bells or some dried beans or nuts inside one and watch her go crazy for the longest time.

I hadn't thought of drilling holes and hanging them...HHHMMM now my little mind is working overtime!

Another thing Zilla likes is the plastic bottle caps off soda, juice, or other small to medium size jars.

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I am not on any medications, so I don't get my own pill bottles, but I do ask my Mom, Brother and a few friends to save a couple for me every now and then.

They drive Zilla crazier than she already is...she gets so mad when she can't get to the things inside of them! Put a couple jungle bells or some dried beans or nuts inside one and watch her go crazy for the longest time.

I hadn't thought of drilling holes and hanging them...HHHMMM now my little mind is working overtime!

Another thing Zilla likes is the plastic bottle caps off soda, juice, or other small to medium size jars.

One of my kitchen drawers is full of the caps off water bottles for Gonzo, he also LOVES the ring part. He'll pry it off of any bottle.

[ame="https://youtu.be/bDz_AFSGgBg"]Gonzo with the ring from an iced tea bottle - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
If you ask the pharmacy they may give you the money child sage caps for them then the bird could get the stuff out.

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure: Sir H. H. Gregg Q. T. Birb, III
I'm still preparing for Sir with all the hope he's coming home soon. Saw this.

Is there any special or specific prep that has to be done to remove the meds other than soapy water then vinegar water bath?

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Waaayyyyy back when (over 50 years ago) when I was a young teen we had a budgie (Wally) that LOVED to play/roll around our dog's empty eye pill bottle (she was blind and the med's reduced swelling/pain)
We'd just make sure the cap was secure. Wally delighted in rolling that bottle all across the kitchen table while yelling/chirping/talking to it.

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts