Ollie and Mommy get ice cream (pic+story)

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Today, I just decided I needed some time away from the house (and Finley if I am being completely honest) with my Ollie Baby and so I got him in his harness and we were off.
Off to get some ice cream! The ice cream shop is about a 15 minute walk and on the way many people stared at us as they were driving by probably wondering what on earth was happening. Ollie was very very interested in everything going on around us he barely even chewed on his harness. We were almost at the ice cream shop when I found a prime pooping spot for Ollie, and he went like a pro and received a half of a pine nut for his efforts. We entered the ice cream shop and I quickly asked the owner if I can have my birdie there and he said it was fine. I took a mental note that this was another place that will allow me in with my baby. I ordered my ice cream (vanilla soft serve cone with rainbow sprinkles of course) and while I wait for it Ollie and I sit down and there were some teens in the ice cream shop staring at us. One came up and told me he really liked my parrot and that was nice, I had to quickly tell him that even though Ollie is sweet to me he will bite his finger really really hard because he had that look in his eye of wanting to be the one who touched the parrot at the ice cream shop lol. After that our ice cream was finally ready...oh my god it was amazing! I love ice cream but I don't treat myself that often since I try to eat clean and maintain my weight loss and live the fit life. Don't worry I am not super strict about it but I am very conscious of what I put in my mouth and today it was ice cream and it was a great decision lol. While I was enjoying my ice cream I put Ollie on the back of a chair and a napkin below him for him to potty onto and a whole pine nut for being the best bird ever. He quickly went potty when I took him off my shoulder which I thought was a really good job on his part because it has been about 20 mins since his last potty break. After that, Ollie just sat there quietly watching me eat my ice cream and we cleaned up and left.
We started our journey home through the parking lot. Some teenagers yelled "Polly want a cracker" and all started laughing from across the parking lot. I thought that was odd, who makes fun of a grown, normal looking woman who has a bird on her shoulder? Most people think it's cool to have a parrot. Anyways, we got about halfway home and then the same teens drove by and yelled "freak" at me. I am just not sure what the issue was here, I felt sorry for them because they must be really miserable kids. Oh well, Ollie and I keep walking him and we have one more potty break and before you know it we were home! I could hear Finley calling for me from the beginning of the driveway, I opened the door and went to greet him. I gave him a big kiss (he didn't try to bite me which was nice).
I then told my son (12 years old) about the teens and how mean they were and he was very upset. I told him to promise he would never be so cruel and become that sad of a human being to stoop so low in life. He agreed that he would not...we'll see but I think we are safe on that one.

I hadn't taken Ollie on that long of a walk since last summer and I have to say I really look forward to going on more walks with him. He didn't scream even once which was shocking. I am trying to take him out more to prep him for our big 2 weeks trip with 3 airplane legs and lots of driving and new places. We're going from NYC to CHicago for 5 days then from Chicago to Seattle, then home Seattle to NYC. We will be driving for 8 hours from Seattle to my home town in Oregon and then back. It will be an exciting time! Finley will be staying at my bird/babysitter's house and he knows her well so I think he will be fine. I would like to take him on a trip someday but as of now he is too unpredictable, unfortunately
3AMAjML.jpg

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Sun t̶e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶i̶s̶t̶ C̶o̶n̶u̶r̶e̶ terrorist Cytrynka (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fiona (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fionek (M)
Wasn't Ollie jelaous of you ice cream? If Cytrynka was in his position, she wouldn't hesitate to try to sneak her beak near the dessert and try to steal a bit of it :)
Seems like you two perfectly fit eachother. You're probably Ollie's BHE ;)
When I'm going out with my parrot on the shoulder (wearing harness), it makes people curious; most of them ask if Cytrynka actually talks (popular belief is parrot = talker). I'm a bit surprised about the children's reaction, probably they just envied you having your beautiful parrot imo :orange:

BirdGeeks

Mar 26, 2018
Media
U.S
Parrots
Pita (Goffins Cockatoo) Misha, Cass and Sammy,Crowley and Ruby(Budgies),Tango the Mango(Sun Conure)
Gosh, why are people so rude? People like that are the reason I don't like being a teenager, thankfully it's temporary! Love the pictures although I'm surprised Ollie didn't try to sneak a bite of that ice cream!

OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

Ollie did not want any of the ice cream because he is very wary of white objects that are around the same size as him lol. I even tried to give him a taste and he wasn't having any of it. He does try to eat a lot of things I eat like my smoothie or anything crunchy or bread so he has his moments.

April

Apr 17, 2018
Philly
Parrots
Female eclectus April,male eclectus Buddha(hulk)
How awesome he looks so happy , sorry bout the lord of the flies pack mentality lol. I haven’t tried entering those kinda shops ,they where kind enough . I love following along with you and yours !

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
When Mom was with us,she'd on occasion have a bowl of vanilla ice cream and she always gave Amy the bowl to lick up any melted dregs :) Amy would lap it up just like a doggo would..for some reason now,Amy won't touch it :confused:

Jim

OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

How awesome he looks so happy , sorry bout the lord of the flies pack mentality lol. I haven’t tried entering those kinda shops ,they where kind enough . I love following along with you and yours !
Thank you!

@Jim

It's because he heard Ollie won't touch the stuff. Lol. Ollie is trend setter...

Classy

Apr 17, 2018
Arizona
Parrots
Lenny (Turquoise Green Cheek Conure)
Aww, Ollie sure looked like he had fun. That ice cream looks so good too.

Most Reactions