One person bird

Endlessaley

Jan 18, 2012
Parrots
Green male Indian Ringneck
Hello all,
I have been going to a local rescue which has a cute little Goffin I have started working with (the rescue requires you to be able to handle the bird before adoption). He is very cat-like? In behavior as in he wants scratches and attention but then bites out of the blue. Is that typical Goffin behavior? I was told he doesn’t trust anyone to step up but today he hopped onto my arm , which was a huge celebration for both of us! After that he was super sweet and cuddly and affection with no attempts to bite for the rest of my visit. I feel like I’m bonding with this little guy but apparently the previous owner said he was a one person bird. He was bonded to the lady and attacked husband and kids. I live alone so currently not a problem but am still young so planning to have a family in the future. Are “one person” birds always going to be that way? Is there a way to discourage aggressive behavior to other people besides their “chosen”? Any help appreciated. Attaching pics just for cutenes factor

2kpcSqw.jpg

Attachments

• EC09A8BD-73BC-4241-A2B3-D6FCF50FA483.jpg
    EC09A8BD-73BC-4241-A2B3-D6FCF50FA483.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
E

Endlessaley

Jan 18, 2012
Parrots
Just to clarify, family gave him to the rescue and the volunteers haven’t been able to get him to trust and step up.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
That's a gorgeous Goffins in good feather! They are not one-person birds in my experience, but every bird is different and somewhat captive to recent history. Generally a good sign when they "choose" you as appears the case. It is possible to socialize a bird for greater acceptance of people, but no guarantees. I'd give it more time and verify consistency of the bond. Also try to observe how he interacts with others when being held by you.

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
I don’t believe in totally one person birds. Most one person bird owners keep them that way because the preferred human thinks it’s just great! He likes me, and nobody else!

Nonsense.

All birds can be socialized to tolerate and love others.

They’re FLOCK animals.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I don’t believe in totally one person birds. Most one person bird owners keep them that way because the preferred human thinks it’s just great! He likes me, and nobody else!

Nonsense.

All birds can be socialized to tolerate and love others.

They’re FLOCK animals.

I assume you base an opinion on either expansive history with multiple parrots or evidence gleaned from respected sources and narratives? Fact is parrots can be well socialized while others prefer avian company exclusively. Many learn to tolerate humans in exchange for food and shelter, refusing a deep bond.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Just to clarify, family gave him to the rescue and the volunteers haven’t been able to get him to trust and step up.

Hi hun OMG how cute is he? Gorgeous! I am really not surprised by this at all. I have a semi naked girl G2, she's 22 y/o. It has taken her the best part of two years to completely settle, trust and decide she'd quite like a cuddle from her Mum and stop trying to bite her face off. She doesn't like to step onto skin, Ok onto clothes, my arm in particular. They are super intelligent birds and oh has she stolen my heart :). Be prepared for him to give you a little bit more over a fairly long time. My girl's previous family, she was an elderly gentleman's bird, he raised her from a baby. I have had doubts that she'd cling to my hubby but he has plenty to do with her but manages to be hands off to avoid her choosing him totally. One thing that took us by surprise and that is she started to hiss at any visitors to the house after about six months. We think it was telling us she didn't want to go anywhere else and wanted to stay put. She like this beautiful boy G2 was given for adoption to a charity and one day suddenly collected. It has clearly stayed with her although she has always been very well treated.

I do have an alarm bell ringing though and that is you saying you want children in the future. This could go Ok or not? Learn as much as you possibly can about his previous family, routine and diet.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
My cockatoo (non-goffins) is very cat-like in some respects, but not a one-person bird (although she does have STRONG tendencies to become enamored easily and randomly). Cockatoos (as a rule) are very needy, high energy and social. The can be moody if you don't read them properly but I would not call them 1-person birds. After many years with my cockatoo, I'd call her extremely loyal and downright obsessive, but also very social/ constant FOMO. She LOVES interaction, even if the person annoys her, so she gets a kick out of reactions from anyone and can be SO gentle, but is always falsely nice (and then suddenly rude) to people she doesn't know well.

It's easy to make the past owner's statement a se;f-fulfilling prophecy, but in all honesty ANY parrot can seem like a one-person bird, and cockatoos are probably the least likely to be that way, although, statistically, they are the most likely to be re-homed due to other unchecked/ difficult behaviors and things about them that people just have trouble handling properly in a home.

It is my strong opinion that with any parrot, but especially cockatoos, you need to be married to this idea of making it work. If you are willing to give up because it's frustrating etc, better to do it now than later, but time usually works in favor of those who wait it out with the right info etc

Last edited:
OP
E

Endlessaley

Jan 18, 2012
Parrots
“I do have an alarm bell ringing though and that is you saying you want children in the future. This could go Ok or not? Learn as much as you possibly can about his previous family, routine and diet.”

This is most definitely a concern! I realize it can go either way but overall are cockatoos a bad idea around small children? I really like this little guy but I’m taking everything into account. I’m trying to convince myself everything will work out but also want to be realistic

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
“I do have an alarm bell ringing though and that is you saying you want children in the future. This could go Ok or not? Learn as much as you possibly can about his previous family, routine and diet.”

This is most definitely a concern! I realize it can go either way but overall are cockatoos a bad idea around small children? I really like this little guy but I’m taking everything into account. I’m trying to convince myself everything will work out but also want to be realistic

Yes hun and I can see that which is why I mention it. It is heart breaking when a bird has to be rehomed because the family has changed/expanded, time is limited, the bird gets jealous, frustrated, unhappy etc. It is usually the change of routine, less time with their original flock that can cause issues.

I firmly believe in eyes wide open approach but only you can gather the info and make a decision. :)

Most Reactions