One Wheel death time...!

aussie_wings

Jun 24, 2022
๐ŸŒดโ˜€๏ธFlorida, USAโ˜€๏ธ๐ŸŒด
Parrots
๐ŸŒŸ ๐“ข๐“ฝ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฐ๐“ฑ๐“ฝใ€˜F Lutino Budgieใ€™๐ŸŒŸ
โœˆ๏ธ ๐™…๐™ช๐™ฃ๐™ž๐™ค๐™งใ€˜M Cinn-Turq-Pied-Spang Kakarikiใ€™โœˆ๏ธ
My bf and I just got some One Wheels today, and he just went up to a nearby store so I'm trying to distract myself from the idea that he might fall and die, lol.

He'd been looking into getting some for a little while now (and bugging me about it :rolleyes:) and his friend brought his over the other night so he could practice on it, and he ate pavement so I'm nervous, lol. I mean, he hasn't fallen since and he's been smooth on it all day, so I'm sure he'll be okay, but you never know with him. >.<

We were going to wait for his friend to get here so he could ride my OW and I ride his electric bike, but he won't be here before the shop closes.

I'm still not quite able to use mine. I have an issue with my legs/hips where they're kind of rotated and one is a bit longer than the other, so I have even muscle tone on either side. Ugh. I can balance on it, but once it starts moving, my ankles move forward or back and fall off. I used to longboard, but it is like the total opposite of using a longboard... The fact that there's one wheel in the middle of the board makes it hard to balance, vs. having four wheels in each corner of the board that keep it on the ground. With the One Wheel, it's like you're practically floating on this board. Probably using a balance board type of thing at a gym would help, I hope.

Hope I can get rolling soon... :p

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I had to look up what that is......I.... would die....

I honestly don't see the cost benefit analysis of this, I feel safer on my motorcycle.

But have fun if you try it.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Feb 20, 2022
I can't balance on a One Wheel at all, but I've seen friend after friend of mine hop on and zoom all over their first time ๐Ÿ˜†

I love seeing the lights on these when I'm biking - they're just so fun!

OP
aussie_wings

aussie_wings

Jun 24, 2022
Parrots
Yeah, I think if I practice for a while I'll be able to get the hang of it.
I guess it's kinda like getting a bicycle except more expensive. I think the point is that they're supposed to be "fun" lol. I guess for that price, you could definitely get a motorcycle.
We were actually going to get motorcycles eventually, as well. We were going to do that first, but we want to make sure we're going to be able to get the ones that we want. We want Honda Rebels or Shadows. ๐Ÿ–ค We were going to start with 500ccs, but we'll probably just go for the 1000ccs or 1100ccs. We'll have to take a class to learn how to ride them. I just hope I'm going to be strong enough to balance the bike when it's stopped. I know the larger cc ones can be pretty heavy.
I was wanting a black one, but his 2022 1100cc Rebel is so sick looking, with the vampire red and whatnot, although we'd probably be getting older models. What kind of bike do you have clark_conure, and what would your recommend?
dct-rebel-1100-model-rsz.png

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi there ! I;ve been riding for over 40 years and used to write for a motorcycle rag. I will always say start small, 500cc and then move up. First of all, a 1000 or 1100cc bike is way too much power to be learning on, too much weight for when ( not if) you tip or get into a bad situation. I personally saw a brand new rider pick up his new 1100cc sport bike at the dealer, and crash it in the parking lot driveway! Second, get a used one - small cc bikes like Rebels hold their value as most new riders start there. And when you drop it or crash it, hey its already used and you won't cry so much as you will with a brandy new bike! DEFINATELY take lessons - motorcycles are strange critters. They steer as you would expect up to a certain speed (like parking lot speed) and then once that threshold is exceeded you need to counter steer to turn ( ie pull the bars to the left to make a right hand turn) and that speed is different for every bike. PLus the natural impulse in any stopping situation is to mash on the rear brake pedal, which will make the rear skid and step out and BOOM a crash. Takes a lot of practice and mental prep to understand that the most stopping power comes from the front brake. Good luck and ride safe!

OP
aussie_wings

aussie_wings

Jun 24, 2022
Parrots
Well, thank you for your advice! I'll have to relay this info to my boyfriend. I think that, realistically, we should start out with smaller bikes. In our state, we're required to get a motorcycle license in order for it to be street legal, which includes a training class. He, his friend, and I were all planning to get bikes and take the course at some point in the near future. I'm definitely good for a 500cc Honda Rebel! ๐Ÿ๏ธ

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hey I learned on a 250cc Ducati and managed to crash 2 times when learning. You can bet I was glad it was a 250cc an not a 700 lb 1000cc one! FWIW, my HEAVY thick leather jacket saved my shoulder from becoming hamburger in one crash. I cringe when I see sport bike guys with $700 helmets riding in shorts and sandals. Firm believer in ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time).

Most Reactions