Online Culture??

SD1030

Feb 2, 2021
I was wondering if anyone knew of any websites that offer online culture kits for our feathered friends?

I?d like to take a throat culture and fecal sample of my cockatiel to send in.

Please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I was wondering if anyone knew of any websites that offer online culture kits for our feathered friends?

I?d like to take a throat culture and fecal sample of my cockatiel to send in.

Please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't Google this or anything- I'm just going to make some statements about what I know about bacteria and samples-- most fecal samples etc need to be tested immediately or be refrigerated if it will be more than an hour before you can get it to the lab(and even refrigerated fecal samples are not really valid after 6 hours or so). I HIGHLY doubt there is anything like this for fecal samples (and if there is, I would expect it to cost hundreds of dollars due to the complication of keeping temperature stable and flying it quickly enough to a lab)<- I could be wrong, but I wouldn't trust without getting explicit confirmation that the test was trustworthy from an avian certified vet. You may find some mail in swabs out there, but my question would be how they would keep other bacteria/fungi from growing or out-competing the original culture if it has to be mailed and subjected to various temperatures, shipping etc. For instance, there is aspergillus all around us in the air (but that can also infect birds with weak immune systems)..so how would they separate out what came from the bird vs the air when transport time is so long/without temperature control (at least if speaking of bacteria or fungi ). By the time it got to the destination, the swab's contents could be significantly different than when you took them.

I'm sure there is something out there, but I would call an avian vet (even if you don't take your bird there and even if it's not in your area) just to ask about the legitimacy/accuracy of mail-in culture services (and I would be VERY skeptical of any company that claims it can do a mail-in fecal/gram stain or float-- just because of what I know about the viability of stored poop samples). I also would venture to say that it is going to depend greatly on what it is that you are swabbing for, as some viruses etc last on surfaces longer than others and some bacteria is more fragile than others etc etc. Also, in parrots, most viruses require specific blood panels for diagnosis.

Do you have any avian vets within a few hours of where you live? **if your bird is showing signs of illness, you do not have time to wait for such services (even if they do exist)*

Parrots hide illness as a matter of instinct (as showing it gets them killed in the wild). If you have reason to believe your bird is ill, you need to get to a vet rather than trying to swab etc....You shouldn't wait. Even if you had time to wait, what would you do then? Antibiotics require a prescription and not all are safe for birds.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts