Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I donā€™t know why he (Bingo) did it.
Took him out of his cage and put him on my shoulder (he was happy).:)
Went into the kitchen to look out the window (something he enjoys). When looking out the window he went into angry mode. He startedā€¦ well the only noise that I can think of is Hissing with his eyes pinning and feathers fluffed up.:31:
I did not see anything outside that would get him upset but I knew I was in trouble.
I started to make a slow walk back to his cage, this would let him step off my shoulder and onto the cage without exposing my hands or anything else to a bad bite.
I did not make it.
About halfway there he took an extreme dislike to my ear and bit me as hard as he could.:11:
I guess I was lucky he did not bite all the way through my ear. Felt like someone tried to twist it off.
OUCH !

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
OUCH!!! He's grounded from shoulder riding now. Maybe he saw something outside that set his radar off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Yikes! Thank god it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Parker got my ear a number of months back. From that I've learned protect the head, take the bite on the finger.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Ouch is right! I'm so glad he didn't get a better hold on it:(

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
That looks extremely painful! Sorry that happened, something must have startled him.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hey, easy there bingo, that's not lunch! I would try to figure out what startled or got him angry. Where you looking at a Van Gogh painting, lol.
Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

msdeb

Dec 22, 2013
texas
Parrots
Charlie the birdie, yellow naped amazon and little bird, a monk parrot , and Polly -yellow crowned amazon
OUCH is right!! I can only imagine how painful that is! I know it hurt when Charlie got my cheek but an ear is so sensitive! Bird's eyesight is amazing so Bingo must've seen something that your human eyes didn't pick up that frightened him badly. Ice helps some.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
OUCH is right!! I can only imagine how painful that is! I know it hurt when Charlie got my cheek but an ear is so sensitive! Bird's eyesight is amazing so Bingo must've seen something that your human eyes didn't pick up that frightened him badly. Ice helps some.

Yes I think that is most likely what happened.
I could have been much worse. will keep him off shoulder for now.

texsize

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I feel your pain, Tex!!!!!

The Rickeybird is a serial ear attacker... my solution: I wear my hair DOWN when enjoying his company on my shoulder! It might even be worth GROWING it if your hairis a bit short at present.

Sorry for that chomp!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Looking at the picture it is clear that you are far more than lucky! Your YNA only compressed enough to surface puncher your ear. So, you likely got a warning nip. The why is something you will need to discover with your YNA.

Fully agree, you should have taken the bite to a finger. Had your Amazon gone with full pressure, there is nothing in that area (structure wise) that would have resisted the complete pass though of the skin.

Good News: Your Amazon adjusted the pressure to that of a nip!

Raptor populations are growing across North America. Areas that had been empty of them are filling as there numbers grow.

Very glad you got away with only a nip. Make peace early!

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Oh man, I can feel that all the way over here :eek: Thank God Amy has never done that to me,however,BB thinks my ear is his personal chew toy :mad: He can pinch it pretty good,with a "mild" ouch,and I hear him growling and cussing in my ear.
He is very persistent on getting on my shoulder,which I am trying my darndest to limit.

Jim

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Bad Bingo! That must've hurt! Wonder what he saw outside that he felt he so urgently needed to 'encourage' you to move away from???

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
Was anyone else in the room? My 'Zon will do the same thing if my wife (or pretty much anyone else) approaches us while he's on me. A couple of weeks ago, I got the perfect storm - one of our Conures decided to fly around, buzzing me (with Sammy on my shoulder), and my wife came running in to collect the flying bird. Sammy got the back of my neck, puncturing one of the large tendons on the back of my neck. I was pretty sore for a while! Anything that a 'Zon believes threatens them, or their human, means SOMEBODY's going to get bit...and that often means whoever is closest (generally, that would be me), especially if the usurper is out of reach.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Was anyone else in the room? My 'Zon will do the same thing if my wife (or pretty much anyone else) approaches us while he's on me. A couple of weeks ago, I got the perfect storm - one of our Conures decided to fly around, buzzing me (with Sammy on my shoulder), and my wife came running in to collect the flying bird. Sammy got the back of my neck, puncturing one of the large tendons on the back of my neck. I was pretty sore for a while! Anything that a 'Zon believes threatens them, or their human, means SOMEBODY's going to get bit...and that often means whoever is closest (generally, that would be me), especially if the usurper is out of reach.
that sounds painful.
I was alone as far as other people but the cockatiels were there.
Usually Bingo likes "saying" hello to the tiels. He will go into his happy dance (swinging his head back and fourth, tail fanned out head/neck feathers fluffed out and vocalizing with hello's and kisses). He did not do that this time.
He has been out of season hormonal lately so I am sure that had something to do with his aggression. Jealousy of the tiels could be part of it too.
I don't and can't really be upset with Bingo, I just have to learn from this experience and be more observant of his body language.
texsize

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I just have to say... I'm sorry for your OWIE but it is so wonderful to read your description of Bingo's "happy" antics. There is no other SHOW quite like an Amazon lighting the place up!!! I had many friends back in New Mexico who had Amazons, and I miss them. The birds AND the friends!

Most Reactions

Latest posts