our little ollie died suddenly

jenniferdiane

May 13, 2014
hi all its took me this long to express this but our 10year old little boy ollie died suddenly on 28 th december hes left such a massive hole in my heart and miss him so much.it really hurts to think,
on the 28 th December we had been out for a few hours came home let him out of his cage he flow straight into his play box that hes had for years i went into that and then popped his head out shouted me and when he came out again.he was wobbling allover like a drunk bird, i didnt think anything of itch then flow into the room landed on my hubby head flow off. panting i followed him to the kitchen and he was constantly been sick.i picked him up in my armband noticed he was heavy breathing so we all sat round him whilst he was in my armband the breathing slowed down and he opened his wings fully let out a screech and passed away im kicking myself did i do something wrong.what the hell happened im going in circles trying to work out what happened did i do something wrong or was there a illness we never seen etc im trying to blame myself becuse was it the food over 10 years im just after answers has to why so suddenly
i hope hes in rainbow bridge eating all the popcorn he likes without anyone saying NO NO

forgot to say we dont use teflon or airfreshners becuase they have a better sense of smell then us humans

Attachments

• 2019-01-02 16.07.21.jpg
    2019-01-02 16.07.21.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I'm so sorry 💔 I lost my cockatiel Kibble in a similar fashion. She died in my hands. It's hard to lose a pet, but I think this was the hardest loss I've ever experienced, because it was sudden, I didn't know why, and because by the time I was holding her and saw something wrong it was far too late to take her to the emergency vet.

Without a necropsy there's no way to know what happened. I didn't get one for Kibble, as I was so upset that all I could think about was how to send her off. But if it were to happen again, I'd get one. The not knowing is haunting, and to this day when I talk about it I can't help but wonder if it's something I did.

I'm not even going to guess what might have happened because there's just no way to know, and I think it's more important that you're kind to yourself and you give yourself the space to grieve without blame. Your Ollie loved you and wouldn't want you blaming yourself. I'm sure he's enjoying all the snacks he could ever want on the other side of the rainbow bridge so be gentle with yourself.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Parrots in general do not show illness very often until it is way past the point of intersecting with treatment. And they are subject to the same types of catastrophic illnesses people do, ie: heart attacks, renal failure, strokes and so forth. THose - there are no warnings for. I feel for you, I also lost a loved parrot in a matter of minutes, with no warning at all, as many folks on here have. No warning, just......... gone. KNow that he lived being very loved and that thankfully he died surrounded by his flock. You have my deepest sympathy and condolences. And yes, birds always fly free over the rainbow bridge - God's creatures, blameless and not touched by mortal sins, sit at His right hand, contributing to the Heavenly music.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Having loss more than our fair share of older Amazons, I can say that it does not become any easier. What you list imply that your sweet baby past as a result of Heart Failure. That said and as said above, there is no way to know at this point.

Your dear little one had created a place in your heart and likely a space for another. Know that you enjoyed your babies finial moments and he pasted happy in the knowledge that he was Loved.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
My sincerest condolences. Well said above, parrots will hide signs of illness until they just can't any longer. It's the nature of prey animals, and more often than not, there is no warning that we can notice. Fly free to the rainbow bridge, dear Ollie. ❤️

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Jenniferdiane, I’m so very sorry for your loss of dear little Ollie. It’s obvious that he was deeply loved and cherished by you. It’s especially hard when the loss is so sudden – I honestly don’t think it matters if they’re with us for ten years or a hundred, it can never be long enough. May the addition of Honey to your family help your heart to find peace.🙏

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, beloved Ollie, until we all meet again ❤️

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm very sorry for your loss.

I know they give longer life spans on web searches. But 10-14 years is an average life span for a green cheek. ( yes some can live till 20) Both according to my avian vet, and a historical records search of veterinarian clinics and zoos. I think I have that study in my ornithology thread.. soo a long way of saying that this can be old age

But no less tragic and painful

I look forward to hearing about your new friend.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so very sorry for your loss of Ollie. It's hard when this happens so suddenly, that has happened to me before and it's such a gut punch.
I'm so glad that you brought Honey into your family to share your love with. That is a tribute to Ollie, and how much he means to you. That touches my heart that they are related.

Fly free over the rainbow bridge Ollie, you will be forever missed and forever loved.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I am so sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, and I'm even more sorry for your loss. The passing of a beloved pet is as painful as losing any family member. Unfortunately they are so good at hiding their illness until it's too late. My heart goes out to you, fly high Ollie 🫂

OP
jenniferdiane

jenniferdiane

May 13, 2014
just wonted to let you all know when our ollie passed we got little honey from same breeder so in theory they are related im guessing, any way its like our ollie reincarnated only had him a few days and hes shouting give us a kiss and dam he knows where the cookie tin is its so comforting hes the double of ollie and everything ollie did its like hes come back again in baby stage i know its nonsense but makes me feel a little better but omg i miss my yorkshire accent ollie love him lots sorry it still hurts inside

Attachments

• ACB2D87F-95AB-4B4B-9DC4-7C39AE1894E6.jpeg
    ACB2D87F-95AB-4B4B-9DC4-7C39AE1894E6.jpeg
    382.7 KB · Views: 68

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Honey is sooo beautiful! I'm sure Ollie is happy knowing you and your family are loving Honey as much as you did him. So sorry for your loss,it hurts to loose a pet of any kind, be it a bird,horsey,doggo,kitty kat fish or frog.

Jim

Chrissiejingles

Nov 21, 2019
ENGLAND
Parrots
Mr Jingles OWA.....RIP
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Losing our little feathered friends hurts so much.
He had a beautiful home with you and knew that he was loved. I'm sure he is looking down on you and Honey with joy in his heart.....and Ollie will stay in your heart forever.

Most Reactions

Latest posts