hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Hello! I recently decided I'd like to try to let my birds enjoy the fantastic summer weather before it's over. They live in flight cages, so the plan would be to get one like this (https://www.petsmart.com/bird/cages...ucts-madison-bird-cage-14177.html?cgid=400202) just to bring them in and out.

I'm wondering about the community's input. Obviously if I buy the cage today, shove a bird in it and walk outside, I'll stress them out. Has anyone else gone through a similar process, and if so how did you get them used to the cage, at what point did you feel comfortable taking it outside, etc?

I'd also like to hear from anyone who is dead-set against bringing birds outside in cages, and why. My plan would be to always monitor them (sit outside next to the cage and read or something) but there may be risks I'm not taking into account.

Thanks!! :grey:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi! Outside is great. Not in direct sunlight though! They will love the excitement, especially if there’s a light breeze! Always provide water!
As said, don’t leave them for even a moment! A, it will freak them out, B, dangers abound!
You will have to implement new safeguards into your routines! Double check all latches. Never, ever move the bird from cage to cage with anything open to the outside!
I live alone and I still lock every door before I give JoJo free run of the house.

Fyi, those cages are notorious for falling apart! Moving them around increases the risk! I use tyewraps on all corners!
They also tend to have simplistic door and food latches that are easy to defeat! Figure out reinforcement!

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Hi! Outside is great. Not in direct sunlight though! They will love the excitement, especially if there?s a light breeze! Always provide water!
As said, don?t leave them for even a moment! A, it will freak them out, B, dangers abound!
You will have to implement new safeguards into your routines! Double check all latches. Never, ever move the bird from cage to cage with anything open to the outside!
I live alone and I still lock every door before I give JoJo free run of the house.

Fyi, those cages are notorious for falling apart! Moving them around increases the risk! I use tyewraps on all corners!
They also tend to have simplistic door and food latches that are easy to defeat! Figure out reinforcement!

I will add to this. I normally use a travel carrier to take my Sunny out & about. However there have been some exceptionally beautiful days where I wanted to just bring her out in a cage to experience the lovely breeze. And indeed she loved it, it was great watching her catch the air with her wings and enjoying herself.

Along with reinforcing the cage with ties, I realized I was in real danger of OPENING the cage and reaching in. So to prevent mySelf from making that foolish mistake, after placing her in the cage, I then TIED the door closed, with lightweight string. Just a double-bow, easy to remove -- BUT enough to Remind me to NOT OPEN that door. I would strongly suggest something of the sort for anyone who's gonna bring their bird outside in a cage.

Most Reactions